frame protection

I have just picked up a set of Fehling engine bars to fit to mine. My thoughts were I should look at three poits of contact if the bike was going to hit the deck although I havn't researched fully yet. My three points of contact were going to be end of handlebars, engine bars and rear axle sliders. I have still to source the axle sliders.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, jdavis said:

I had engine bars at the frame mounts, but when the bike fell, the engine cases hit first.

That is extremely useful information for all............

• Thumbsup 2

4 hours ago, jdavis said:

I had engine bars at the frame mounts, but when the bike fell, the engine cases hit first.

What type of bars did you fit to your bike. I rejected a set I saw a picture of online that only connected at thetop twe engine mounts and curved round in front of the radiator. 

1 hour ago, HGP61 said:

What type of bars did you fit to your bike. I rejected a set I saw a picture of online that only connected at the top twe engine mounts and curved round in front of the radiator. 

I had the ones in the first pic, but when the bike fell over, the impact was on the  engine case, the bar end and the pannier.replaced them with the Givi knockoffs and they cover the engine cases.

41697989_1926444980989942_2677580266997809152_o.jpg

52498770_2010034919297614_3107424446567153664_o.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

JDavis - Question(s), are those the Givi crash bars? and if not who makes those?

.....and do these crash bars protect the plastics if the bike falls over sideways? or do they just protect the engine?

.....and can you remove the plastics without having to uninstall the crash bar?

thanks,

• Premium Member

I too have the Givi cg, cheap eBay front axle sliders, and a U.S. made set of combo swing arm lift bobbins / sliders; plus I have the Shad SH36 hard panniers but only mount them when on tour (I do always run the Shad SH46 topcase).  The Givi c.g. make a great mounting point for driving lights and hiway pegs.

Thankfully (knock on plastic) I have not tested their effectiveness...

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2020 at 11:46 AM, jdavis said:

I had the ones in the first pic, but when the bike fell over, the impact was on the  engine case, the bar end and the pannier.replaced them with the Givi knockoffs and they cover the engine cases.

41697989_1926444980989942_2677580266997809152_o.jpg

52498770_2010034919297614_3107424446567153664_o.jpg

do you have a head on photo, like to see how far it sticks out?

• 1 month later...

I had the SW-MOTECH crash bars and lowsided on the left side at about 35mph.  The good: No major plastic or metal was touched on the top end, just the bar end and and clutch lever had a minor rash.  The bad:  The engine case was toast.  I bought secondary guards for the engine cases after that.caseguard.jpg.3df46f7c806c3c12fb9a8932edf1c151.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

• 3 weeks later...

Here come looking for engine slider, dun want the bar type as most often it cause more damage with the metal bend during impac and bulky as seen a few tracer. 

not much choice or maybe did not look deep enuf. Found r&g which so far lead me back to them. There is a brand OES and feel the price is reasonable for 4 but due to COVID , they don’t ship international. Puig r12, sw mototech is what I came across, anyone using other than these brand or how is R&G  cp0345 and cp0355. 

I had r&g on my triumph previously.