I broke the left mirror screw :(

Ok, I can’t not say anything anymore about this.....

you Guys do realize that the mirror screws into the mounting point of the handlebar first, at which point you tighten one locknut, then find an appropriate position and tighten the second nut AGAINST the first nut?
EDIT - older models only- This is what secures the mirror. You should have no reason to attempt to tighten the nut that’s under the rubber cap. 

I’ve been doing this a long time, and I’ve NEVER had to touch one of those nuts with a socket to get the mirror to stay secure and not blow back in the wind while riding.  
(that’s a lot of talk about nuts, yeah I know...)

-Skip

Edited by skipperT
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, skipperT said:

tighten one locknut, then find an appropriate position and tighten the second nut AGAINST the first nut?

-Skip

that's just it, there aren't 2 nuts! There's only one, hence our dilemma. Virtually all other bikes I've had with mirrors attached to the handlebars have 2 nuts, one tightens against the other and the mirror doesn't move. 

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, mingo said:

that's just it, there aren't 2 nuts! There's only one, hence our dilemma.

I hold the mirror stalk in place with my hand and jam the "nut" agaist the clamp side bracket... no? Is it the stud inside the mirror stalk that comes loose (inside)?

20200808_185516.thumb.jpg.04b27b47c208ef0f4d059e1a79735527.jpg

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

1 minute ago, piotrek said:

I hold the mirror stalk in place with my hand and jam the "nut" agaist the clamp side bracket... no? Is it the stud inside the mirror stalk that comes loose inside?

20200808_185516.thumb.jpg.04b27b47c208ef0f4d059e1a79735527.jpg

That’s how I’ve always done it too...

—s

• Thumbsup 2

9 hours ago, mingo said:

that's just it, there aren't 2 nuts! There's only one, hence our dilemma. Virtually all other bikes I've had with mirrors attached to the handlebars have 2 nuts, one tightens against the other and the mirror doesn't move. 

Ok, I see now - I think Yamaha changed the mirrors - Tracer 900 and GT models have a new style mirror (along with a couple other models...)

*snip and delete*

I’ve been tightening the stalk into the mount (as I mentioned) which then also partially rotates the mount for the hand guard, so hold that with your third hand. Once secure, gently rotate the mirror toward the desired position. Better to go in the same direction of travel you were just using to screw the mirror in (RH side is LH thread I believe).

I haven’t had one not stay put yet. 🤷‍♂️

-Skip

Edited by skipperT
Incorrect information, sorry y’all!!!

14 minutes ago, piotrek said:

I hold the mirror stalk in place with my hand and jam the "nut" agaist the clamp side bracket... no? Is it the stud inside the mirror stalk that comes loose (inside)?

that's what I did after my last ride.. tomorrow I'll find it if it holds or moves.. The mirror moves at high speeds (140 - 150 km/h (90/95 mph) on short bursts when passing. Hopefully it won't move now. 

Edited by mingo

• Supporting Member
1 minute ago, mingo said:

...that's what I did after my last ride.. tomorrow I'll find it if it holds or moves.. The mirror moves at high speeds (140 - 150 km/h (90/95 mph) on short bursts when passing. Hopefully it won't move now.

Mine will also move a little at high speed sometimes, but I find that it is the business end (mirror) that moves, not the stalk itself. 🤔

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, skipperT said:

Tracer 900 and GT models have a new style mirror

...don't know Skip... looking at photos on the web, the stalk/mount itself looks the same as my 2015.

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, skipperT said:

No 2 nuts anymore. Pretty sure my ur-FJ09 (15) has a 2 nut setup but I’ll check when I get home

Curiosity (and pandemic boredom) inspired me to make the 50 foot journey out to the shop and have a look...  

My 2015 FJ is definitely a single nut bottom mount, with the right side being a reversed thread (the nut on the right has a hash mark to indicate such)

2BD79F2D-543F-42BA-99F9-622AE51FBD98.thumb.jpeg.372614fe9a03d7ba1fe9642083e5bebb.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

@mingo To tighten the mirror, you take off the black cap and tighten the nut inside.  You'll need a thin 10mm socket to do it.  Only tighten it a tiny bit, like 1/8th of a turn, and be careful - don't want what happened to @TheBigG happening to you :)

I've had this Floppy Mirror Syndrome on both the new Yamaha's I've owned (both with the same types of mirrors) and an 1/8th of a turn on that nut has fixed both.  

+1.  Did this to mine, as well.  Just ground down the circumference of a 10mm socket a little on a bench grinder; a Dremel or the like would work fine, too.  The modded socket worked like a champ.  Then got the urge for something different entirely and installed some Puig mirrors.   😉

• Thumbsup 2
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

7 hours ago, skipperT said:

Ok, I see now - I think Yamaha changed the mirrors - Tracer 900 and GT models have a new style mirror (along with a couple other models...).  No 2 nuts anymore. Pretty sure my ur-FJ09 (15) has a 2 nut setup but I’ll check when I get home. You Tracer guys with newer bikes could always order the original mirrors and “update” them. 

I’ve been tightening the stalk into the mount (as I mentioned) which then also partially rotates the mount for the hand guard, so hold that with your third hand. Once secure, gently rotate the mirror toward the desired position. Better to go in the same direction of travel you were just using to screw the mirror in (RH side is LH thread I believe).

I haven’t had one not stay put yet. 🤷‍♂️ Way to go and update something that wasn’t broken, Yamaha. 

-Skip

Umm ok so my memory isn’t as good as I thought, single nut on my mirrors also. 

sorry folks, i have nothing to add to this discussion  that may help with the loose mirrors... Not sure what I was remembering. My apologies for de-railing this thread. 

-Skip

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, skipperT said:

Umm ok so my memory isn’t as good as I thought, single nut on my mirrors also. 

sorry folks, i have nothing to add to this discussion  that may help with the loose mirrors... Not sure what I was remembering. My apologies for de-railing this thread. 

-Skip

It happens to us all... more often than I like to admit. ☹️ 

Regardless, you always seem to offer some of the most 'technical' help on this forum, much appreciated.  Are you a current bike technician?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***