I broke the left mirror screw :(

I just wanted to tighten a litle bit more the left mirror so it won't pivot that easy and I broke the screw. 

cjXB61m.jpg

XY8IDth.jpg

azU7fOW.jpg

What is the name of it? I want to find it on internet but I have no ideea what to search for. 

So can you help me with a name or a part number? 

Thank you! 

• Supporting Member

Wow...  I've never seen one do that before.   Unfortunately, that's just part of the overall mirror assembly, and not something you will be able to buy separately.  

Check out part 15 of this parts diagram (this is for a 2019 Tracer GT, so verify for your specific bike): 

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2019/tracer-900-gt-mtt9gtkb/steering-handle-cable

Yamaha factory part number:  B5C-26280-00-00

• Thumbsup 1

Don't feel bad bro. I did exactly the same thing. Cheap metal designed to do that in my opinion. Yes I had to buy the whole mirror assembly. Not too expensive. It happens. I will say it's refreshing to be able to see the other things people have done. Sometimes you think you are the only one who has had a tip over or did this or that. Looks to me like pretty much anything you can imagine has happened. This forum is great because you can get some moral support that you aren't the only one but also the solution to whatever issue you are having. I appreciate you guys! One of the reasons I like my bike so much now.

Edited by KillEmAll4u
  • Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

On this note, can someone please educate me on how to tighten these mirrors? no matter how tight I have that large nut, the mirror will still be pushed backwards by the force of the wind. On many of my previous bikes, there would be 2 nuts one tightened against the other keeping the mirror from moving. I just can't seem to secure mine and the wind pushes them towards me. 🤷‍♂️

13 hours ago, mingo said:

On this note, can someone please educate me on how to tighten these mirrors? no matter how tight I have that large nut, the mirror will still be pushed backwards by the force of the wind. On many of my previous bikes, there would be 2 nuts one tightened against the other keeping the mirror from moving. I just can't seem to secure mine and the wind pushes them towards me. 🤷‍♂️

Take a look at the pictures. The thing that i'm holding in my hand is shaped like a cone and the mirrors arm is also shaped like a (reversed) cone so the mirrors arm can pivot. Than, the screw (that broke) extend all the way up and end with a nut. Inside the black cylinder that is part ofvthe mirrors arm, the one that has a cone shaped hole, is a very stiff spring.

So the nut should press against the spring and the spring will force the two cones together. 

The problem is that the top end of the screw is.... machine pressed above the nut or the nut has a flat cap. I have to inspect the nut and I will come back with pictures. 

I have a plan to fix this, i will return with more info. 

Edited by TheBigG
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Coop said:

PM me an address.  I have a whole mirror you can have.  I'll be out of pocket until next week sometime, so be patient.

Thank you very much! I will first try to fix it. I like to do this kind of stuff :)

I do.live in Sweden, where do you live? Postage within Europe should not be a problem but from USA...

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, mingo said:

I have found that a little Blue LocTite keeps it from moving, and still let's you get it off when you need to.

• Thanks 1

On 8/7/2020 at 3:57 PM, DavidS said:

I have found that a little Blue LocTite keeps it from moving, and still let's you get it off when you need to.

Where? Where do you use it?

This is how it looks "inside" 

h21kaBP.jpg

This is the top nut. Why would they use such a idiotic thing? Why not a normal nut? I don't understand if this is a cap or the screw pressed to lock the assembly? If it is a cap I should be able to unscrew the nut fron the other mirror but I don't dare :)

If it's a cap nut than we can replace it with a normal (open) one and tighten the shit out of it to cure the floppy mirror syndrome :) It would be an M6 size.

dGILt1N.jpg

The conical hole

QVd0BJq.jpg

And the screw

0lETcYz.jpg

Edited by TheBigG

@mingo To tighten the mirror, you take off the black cap and tighten the nut inside.  You'll need a thin 10mm socket to do it.  Only tighten it a tiny bit, like 1/8th of a turn, and be careful - don't want what happened to @TheBigG happening to you :)

I've had this Floppy Mirror Syndrome on both the new Yamaha's I've owned (both with the same types of mirrors) and an 1/8th of a turn on that nut has fixed both.  

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm contemplating cutting off the top cap on that nut and replacing it with a normal nut.  I'm 99% sure it's the top of the bolt shaft that's peened out to keep the mirror tight (so that nut can't wiggle/vibrate/rotate loose) but that's not very helpful if they've not sufficiently tightened that nut in the first place.  I'd rather just hit it with loctite and tighten it down to where I want it.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
28 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

I'm contemplating cutting off the top cap on that nut and replacing it with a normal nut.

That sounds like a great solution.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

49 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

I'm contemplating cutting off the top cap on that nut and replacing it with a normal nut.  I'm 99% sure it's the top of the bolt shaft that's peened out to keep the mirror tight (so that nut can't wiggle/vibrate/rotate loose)

yap! And how you gonna cut off the top without damaging the black housing? 

1 hour ago, Wintersdark said:

I'm contemplating cutting off the top cap on that nut and replacing it with a normal nut.  I'm 99% sure it's the top of the bolt shaft that's peened out to keep the mirror tight (so that nut can't wiggle/vibrate/rotate loose) but that's not very helpful if they've not sufficiently tightened that nut in the first place.  I'd rather just hit it with loctite and tighten it down to where I want it.

If you do, please let us know if you were successful and a pic or two would help.