I decided to sell it :(

Well....it is a great bike and I argued a long time with my self about selling it or keep it as a second bike. In Sweden you don't get a lot of good days for riding and with two cars and two motorcycles plus 5 bicycles it would be very tight in my garage/carport. So it has to be only one motorcycle. 

What I want is a larger motorcycle with good wind protection and shaft drive. This is the starting point. It would be nice with more than 2 cylinders and with quick shifter or automatic gearbox. And I don't want a BMW :)

All this would narrow it to 3 bikes in production and one that is no longer availabe as new:

Yamaha FJR 1300 AS

Yamaha SuperTenere 1200

Triumph Tiger 1200 XRT

Honda VFR 1200 X DCT

The SuperTenere is not very good at wind protection and it has a two cylinders engine so it is no longer on my list. 

The Honda VFR 1200X is the only one I never tested. I found one, with the double clutch transmision, from 2017 and only 3500 miles but I have to drive 6 hours round trip only to test it. In comparation with the others it does't have cruise control, electronic suspension or adjustable saddle so it is a litle less appealing. 

The FJR and the Tiger....very, very nice bikes! Very good wind protection, no vibrations, very confortable. I like the FJR more as a bike (the design, the sportiness, the power) but the position on the Tiger and the style suits me better. 

I know the Honda and the Yamaha are bullet proof motorcycles, very unlikely to brake down, I know nothing about Triumph. 

Do you have experience whith these bikes? What would you do? Thank you for your input!

WhxOHLO.jpg

The FJR with standard screen in highest position

RromxID.jpg

Next to my Tracer

Q4JqC1d.jpg

SuperTenere with standard screen. 

dk5XvDZ.jpg

Not the best angle and the screen is in its lower position.

im2eV3s.jpg

Me on my Tracer900

Zi3cL3u.jpg

And a Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE, a very nice bike, a lot like the Tracer 900 but a bit bigger and with better wind protection. Very nice but with chain drive. 

Edited by TheBigG
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Well, if you have decided the Tracer isn't for you, then this post doesn't matter............

But....

The Tracer 900 has aftermarket windscreens (Madstad was my choice) to solve the wind issue, 3 cylinders, and the quick shifter too. And it's not a BMW! 

The Tracer fits all your requirements except the larger motorcycle, and with a larger motorcycle, you lose the light weight and nimble characteristics of the Tracer. I ride with a buddy who has the BMW 1200 GS, and he loves swapping bikes with me and riding my Tracer.

"What I want is a larger motorcycle with good wind protection and shaft drive. This is the starting point. It would be nice with more than 2 cylinders and with quick shifter or automatic gearbox. And I don't want a BMW :)"

Motorcycle's companies always make trade-offs to attract the largest market, but there is a huge after market for the Tracer and you can change whatever you don't like pretty easily. And the cost is hard to beat as well.....

But if you truly have your heart set on something else, you will get a good price for the Tracer and you can go on your quest for your perfect bike.

As for me, I have found mine.........

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, TheBigG said:

What I want is a larger motorcycle with good wind protection and shaft drive. This is the starting point. It would be nice with more than 2 cylinders and with quick shifter or automatic gearbox. And I don't want a BMW :)

All this would narrow it to 3 bikes in production and one that is no longer availabe as new:

Yamaha FJR 1300 AS

Yamaha SuperTenere 1200

Triumph Tiger 1200 XRT

Honda VFR 1200 X DCT

The SuperTenere is not very good at wind protection and it has a two cylinders engine so it is no longer on my list. 

The Honda VFR 1200X is the only one I never tested. I found one, with the double clutch transmision, from 2017 and only 3500 miles but I have to drive 6 hours round trip only to test it. In comparation with the others it does't have cruise control, electronic suspension or adjustable saddle so it is a litle less appealing. 

The FJR and the Tiger....very, very nice bikes! Very good wind protection, no vibrations, very confortable. I like the FJR more as a bike (the design, the sportiness, the power) but the position on the Tiger and the style suits me better. 

I know the Honda and the Yamaha are bullet proof motorcycles, very unlikely to brake down, I know nothing about Triumph. 

Do you have experience with these bikes? What would you do? Thank you for your input!

And a Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE, a very nice bike, a lot like the Tracer 900 but a bit bigger and with better wind protection. Very nice but with chain drive. 

I have researched some of the bikes you mentioned and also ridden a few of them. 

Test rode the Tenere, very comfortable bike, extremely reliable, capable of taking you around the world but the bike felt boring.  Reading the Tenere forum, an ECU flash completely transforms the power delivery.

I have a few riding buddies with Gen II and Gen III FJR's, FANTASTIC bike except for the weight.  Only other negative -to me- was the shorter seat to foot peg distance, though ergonomics can be fixed with taller seat, bar risers and highway pegs to stretch the legs.  The motor isn't as quick revving as the Tracer but it pulls like a freight train and can be extremely sporty if you muscle it a bit through the corners.

Versys 1000, another FANTASTIC bike but chain drive, while shopping for the Tracer, the Versys was the only bike that I test rode multiple times.  Larger and more comfortable than the Tracer but not quite as sporty, a very nice compromise between the Tracer and FJR.  The newest 2019 +  has a lot of electronic upgrades including cruise control, electronic suspension and dual direction quick shift.

I haven't ridden the VFR1200x but like it a lot.  V4 with DCT and shaft drive, whats not to like?  In the U.S. it was available only in '16-'17 and even when originally releases it was already outdated compared to other bikes in its class, offering only ABS and Traction control.  However, if you don't need the latest tech and features, they are sitting in dealers inventory selling for $10 brand new and MCCruise offers a cruise control.  If Honda ever decides to update the VFRx like the Africa Twin or Goldwing, I will give it a serious look.

I have read reviews on the Triumph Tiger but have never ridden one.  

Good luck with whatever bike you end up with.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Of all your reasons, the shaft drive is the one that speaks the most to me.  I positively hate chain maintenance. 

My riding buddy has an 07 FJR and he loves it. I've ridden it a couple of times and it's very nice. Kinda like the unshaven version of my BMW K1200GT. Also, it's as reliable as an anvil. 

• Thumbsup 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

If I may be so bold, I believe you're leaving off a very good option for a "single" bike, and that's the latest generation Gold Wing. Of course, I'm a bit biased myself, owning both the Tracer and the 'Wing. But it checks all your criteria. Good Wind Protection, Shaft drive, more than 2 cylinders (no finer engine than a Flat-6), DCT transmission should you choose (I did, and LOVE it). 2018, non-tour model DCT 'wings are going for less than 19k now, NEW. And I'm certain you could get used models for even cheaper.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

When I do moto tours in Europe I use a certain touring company to rent bikes from and they used to have Triumph bikes but have recently stopped carrying them due to warranty issues with Triumph where they drag their feet on approving warranty repairs, so the bikes cannot be rented as they wait for weeks for approval.. For reliability, I'd stick with the FJR. A great bike, I had it and the Gen1 and Gen2  SuperTenere and now Tracer, as I was seeking less weight. 

• Thumbsup 2

8 hours ago, maximo said:

Of all your reasons, the shaft drive is the one that speaks the most to me.  I positively hate chain maintenance. 

My riding buddy has an 07 FJR and he loves it. I've ridden it a couple of times and it's very nice. Kinda like the unshaven version of my BMW K1200GT. Also, it's as reliable as an anvil. 

Hah half the bike's I've owned have been shaft drive, and I'm not gonna lie, I love them.  They come at a cost, but in practice IMHO they're simply *better*.  Sure, you lose a bit of power you could have potentially had, but as it's not an option it's not like you'll ever ride it with a chain and this never know :)

With that said, I *highly* recommend getting an auto oiler.  I've put 8000 miles on mine now, and haven't cleaned or lubed the chain since... And it's always clean and freshly lubed.  Totally worthwhile.  You still need to adjust for slack, but that's way less frequently an issue vs. normal clean and lube stuff, particularly if you ride a lot. 

• Thumbsup 2

Thank you guys for your input! 

DavidS: you are right. This is why it was and still is difficult to sell it. 

Betoney: I ridden the 2020 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE and for me it was as sporty as the Tracer 900. Very close to my motorcycle. 

Daboo: I can't find a newer GTR1400. Probably not so popular in Sweden. But i think the FJR looks better then the big Kawa.

Skyflix: that is a huge bike. 365kg....70kg over the FJR! 😲 Not for me. 

Mingo: yap! Probably the only thing that holds me back. Europeans, especially the brits are not so good when it comes to reliability. Not sure I want to take the risc...

Wintersdark: right now I have to choose betwen the 2020 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE with auto oiler and the FJR 1300 AS. 

Probably it will be the FJR :)

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, TheBigG said:

Skyflix: that is a huge bike. 365kg....70kg over the FJR! 😲 Not for me.

If I could offer any advice, at least try to test ride the newest Goldwing, every owner I have talked to says for a bike its size, it has a low CG and handles much better than it should.  If nothing else, at least you can say that you tried it?

Good luck with the decision, let us know what you decide. 👍

• Thumbsup 4

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 8/9/2020 at 8:46 AM, betoney said:

If I could offer any advice, at least try to test ride the newest Goldwing, every owner I have talked to says for a bike its size, it has a low CG and handles much better than it should.  If nothing else, at least you can say that you tried it?

Good luck with the decision, let us know what you decide. 👍

The F6b version is really sweeeeeet, too.   There's some 4-5 guys with them in one of my local groups, and they're very impressive machines.  So comfortable, so much power, and surprisingly great handling.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

I would buy one in a heartbeat if I was going to do some serious traveling, but for riding around town, or hitting the mountains, the Tracer is way more nimble, and much easier to handle.

I am about to take a trip from Seattle to Chicago to visit my daughter, and would love to have a Goldwing to make that trip. I'm still trying to decide if it's worth taking my Tracer, or if I should just get on a plane. The wife says I get enough riding at home, and I should spend the extra traveling time with my daughter. I can't argue with that, but it would be one hell of a trip........ especially on a GoldWing!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is it guys! I decided to stay with Yamaha. Don't trust the british reliability so the Triumph was no longer on my list. So now I'm the proud owner of a almost new FJR 1300 (AE). The AE in Europe is the top spec. bike with manual gear box. It has the coplete luggage pack and Akrapovic exhaust. 

ZQA6uRF.jpg

U0EYuyZ.jpg

dZz1klR.jpg

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 4