A guy walks into a bar in Bend, OR and...

Kevin R

...has 3-4 days to kill riding around the state. Where does he go?  🙂

P.S. I am thinking about a little riding vacation in a few weeks to the great state of OR (coming up from SF Bay area). I've ridden the coast before (and certainly wouldn't mind doing it again to get a little relief if it's really hot). What, or where else is good/interesting? Columbia River Gorge sounds good for sightseeing. What are some other can't miss riding spots in Oregon? Many thanks in advance to the Tracer900.net brain trust...

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Kevin R said:

...has 3-4 days to kill riding around the state. Where does he go?  🙂

P.S. I am thinking about a little riding vacation in a few weeks to the great state of OR (coming up from SF Bay area). I've ridden the coast before (and certainly wouldn't mind doing it again to get a little relief if it's really hot). What, or where else is good/interesting? Columbia River Gorge sounds good for sightseeing. What are some other can't miss riding spots in Oregon? Many thanks in advance to the Tracer900.net brain trust...

@Kevin R - Here is just some of what Oregon has to offer.  How much time do you have?

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Excellent, betoney - thanks! I'll be roaming in state 3-4 days. Also, don't have to start in Bend - just picked that one because I've been there before. For example, could start in Waldport (if there is lodging in the area) and work my way east from there.

• Supporting Member
Just now, Kevin R said:

Excellent, betoney - thanks! I'll be roaming in state 3-4 days. Also, don't have to start in Bend - just picked that one because I've been there before. For example, could start in Waldport (if there is lodging in the area) and work my way east from there.

Not sure how much lodging there is in Waldport, better bet is lodging in Newport a few miles north.  Highway 34 heading East out of Waldport is OUTSTANDING.

You really cant go wrong with most of Oregon as long as you are out of city limits.  If you have the time, try and ride as many of the roads I posted especially this area below, Copperfield is the entrance to Hell's Canyon.

• Premium Member

Around Bend Cascade Lakes Highway, OR-242 over McKenzie Pass, and all the roads around Antelope/Shaniko/Fossil/Condon are amazing.

Note that the Warm Springs Indian Reservation is closed to outside traffic. There are some incredible roads on the reservation but they're unfortunately off limits right now.

• Like 1

X2 on Shaniko, Antelope, Fossil, Spray, Kimberly, etc.  No one on those roads during the week.  Also lots of nice roads around the John Day area.  Map out a run from Shaniko to John Day.  It won't disappoint.  Dreamers Motel and the Outpost Pizza and Pub(on Main St.)  in John Day are good.  Or you can camp at the Fairgrounds just down the street.  I've attended 3 Chief Joseph rallys in John Day and ridden the area on 2 other occasions.  Folks are real friendly up that way.  Never had any problems.

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, nvzman said:

Map out a run from Shaniko to John Day.  It won't disappoint.  Dreamers Motel and the Outpost Pizza and Pub(on Main St.)  in John Day are good.

Agreed 100%  Shaniko to Fossil, Condon, Heppner to 395 and down to John Day is OUTSTANDING!  Must also add in 35 around Mt. Hood though. 👍  And you CAN'T pass up Outpost pizza!!

That sounds absolutely wonderful. Enjoy!

It looks like Betony has already recommend almost everything I would have recommended. Perhaps on the to / from trip you may consider going down the eastern side of the Sierras, then cutting across the central valley at some point. There are some more great roads over there. 

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09

I've not ridden much up there, but loved the few days I spent in the John Day area and around the Wallowa mountains.  Stunning, world class roads.

• Thumbsup 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

Great inputs, folks! Tentative plan forming:

1. take the crookedest route from Waldport to John Day

2. John Day to Umatilla...via Copperfield

3. back over to the coast via the Gorge (with a possible loop down around Mt. Hood)

4. back to Cali on 101

That oughta wear out the sidewalls of my tires!

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

• Supporting Member
42 minutes ago, Kevin R said:

Great inputs, folks! Tentative plan forming:

1. take the crookedest route from Waldport to John Day

2. John Day to Umatilla...via Copperfield

3. back over to the coast via the Gorge (with a possible loop down around Mt. Hood)

4. back to Cali on 101

That oughta wear out the sidewalls of my tires!

Love it!!  You are going to have a great ride.  If you get pressed for time on the return, don't be afraid to hop on I-5 from about Roseburg through Shasta to Redding, that's actually a section of interstate that is quite scenic and doesn't suck.

• Thumbsup 3