Which Tire Changer?

piotrek

5 hours ago, stumpy said:

I also use the motion pro beadpro levers with their rim protectors.  Lots of soapy/water mix to make things break easier.

I have done 4 sets up to this point

I use "scrap" plastic instead of the commercial rim protectors.  Plastic milk jugs work okay, but get destroyed in the process.  Believe it or not, a very thin vinyl notebook actually lasted really well once.  It was thinner, but I guess tougher.  My wife had some old Tupperware containers that I'm saving for the next time.  The rounded corner ought to fit over the rim really well and I could get potentially four out of one container.

Everyone thinks this is hard.  It's not.  When I've found myself straining and getting nowhere, I realized something was wrong.  I sat back and told myself to "Go back to the basics.".  Five minutes later, the tire was on and the job done.  And it isn't like you do anything different for the "basics" when using tire irons than you do with a machine.  Read above, and some people had issues using a tire machine.  It's the same principal.

When I was growing up in Texas, we had the sticker bushes with huge thorns sticking out the sides.  To me, they looked like a Texas Longhorn steer's head.  Every afternoon, I was patching my bicycle tires.  Then when I was working my way through college, I worked at a service station.  The owner raced on weekends and had modified his tire machine to work on the wide wheels he was using.  If you did things right, all was well.  If you didn't, even the machine would get stuck halfway around.  And then you had major problems.

The motorcycle tire isn't that much different than either of those.  Just stick to the basics, and it all goes well.

Chris

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/26/2020 at 8:14 PM, texscottyd said:

Motorcycles are inherently irrational devices.  Listen to that voice...  :D 

Angel on 1 shoulder......the Devil on the other. Who will you listen to?????

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Premium Member
On 8/26/2020 at 8:33 AM, daboo said:

I looked at some of the tire changers mentioned above and decided to try the Motion Pro BeadPro Forged Steel Tire Bead Breaker Levers ($50).  I figured that if I couldn't do it with those, then I'd spend the money to get the nicer equipment.

I haven't felt any need to get anything else other than a single long tire iron and a clamp to keep the bead from walking around the rim in the last portion of getting it over the rim.

Chris

I have used the Motion Pro levers too. What is the clamp that holds the bead? Like a C clamp?

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, tktplz said:

Angel on 1 shoulder......the Devil on the other. Who will you listen to?????

If you’ve seen my garage, you already know the answer to that one... 😈

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, estell said:

I have used the Motion Pro levers too. What is the clamp that holds the bead? Like a C clamp?

I'm thinking of something like one of these:

XK USA New Coated Bead Keeper Tire Changer Tool RED Heavy Duty Thing
https://www.amazon.com/Coated-Keeper-Changer-Heavy-Thing/dp/B078YB8TRW/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

image.png.adc301d21052eb85caf64a5846b777ad.png

No-Mar AC-Y-03905111 Yellow Thing Tire Tool
https://www.amazon.com/No-Mar-AC-Y-03905111-Yellow-Thing-Tire/dp/B011J6KXR8/ref=sr_1_25?dchild=1&keywords=tire+changer+accessories+yellow&qid=1598633708&sr=8-25

image.png.e67510997606f4f68b8c1163d3f5732b.png

You could possibly do as well with a heavy duty spring clamp like this one from Harbor Freight.

image.png.71b696b2ea6cde5382b324655efe32e9.png

The idea being to keep the tire bead from "walking" over the rim as you're putting the last part on.  I've been able to do it pretty well without any clamps by using my knees...with hard knee pads.  With just soft knee pads, I think it would be painful, at least for me.  I can see these working pretty well.  

Chris

Edited by daboo

• Supporting Member

... decided to try the Motion Pro BeadPro Forged Steel Tire Bead Breaker Levers... I'm 5'6"...shorter than most of you, and just turned 68.

... FWIW, I've had one knee replacement...

... I use "scrap" plastic instead of the commercial rim protectors...

... I've been able to do it pretty well without any clamps by using my knees...

...Just stick to the basics, and it all goes well.

...seriously @daboo. Enough! ☹️

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

This thread appeared just as I was about to change a tire. Once again I dreamed of having better tools to change tires - and found a NoMar on Craigs list. I waited to call on it, and like a girl you waited to ask to the prom - someone got her first. So once again I was using my hands...

I created a separate thread on changing tires by hand, with tire irons 

https://www.tracer900.net/topic/8978-changing-tires-by-hand/

This thread started out focused on Tire Changers, such as No-Mar or clones by Harbour Freight. If I had the money, and the room for it - I would get one of these like Sportbike Track Gear (Atlas, pneumatic)

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Thumbsup 1
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

OK, used a NoMar Classic HD unit today. Found out the Dunlop Roadsmart II sidewalls are stupid stiff. Yes it was very tight to break the bead and get it to scrunch enough to get it in  the valley of the rim.  A friend uses the harbor freight changer with the yellow thing, nomar lube and nomar mount/dismount bar. He also said the Roadsmart IIs are stupid stiff and the Roadsmart IIIs are much easier. I think I'll get the machine from NoMar and probably switch to Q3+ at $173 rears or those Bridgestone S22s at $122 rears that betoney talks about rate pretty high too.  The NoMar machine is sturdy and using your hip instead of muscle does work. there are tips that work and you can get other tips watching YouTube too. There are many choices out there. How much you want to spend is up to you. My shop broke the camels back at $55.00 a tire to mount and balance. He explained it well, it's a half hour of shop time to change a tire, $110.00 and hour and $55.00 a half hour. It just doesn't compute in my brain to cost that much. 

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
12 minutes ago, tktplz said:

He also said the Roadsmart IIs are stupid stiff and the Roadsmart IIIs are much easier.

LOL... can't imagine, but could be true. I found RS3 super rigid. Night and day from Michelin Road 2 that eventually went on the rim. Still have the RS3 and that will be the litmus test for the changer.

Did you do the work on the changer start to finish?

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

17 hours ago, tktplz said:

OK, used a NoMar Classic HD unit today. Found out the Dunlop Roadsmart II sidewalls are stupid stiff. Yes it was very tight to break the bead and get it to scrunch enough to get it in  the valley of the rim.  A friend uses the harbor freight changer with the yellow thing, nomar lube and nomar mount/dismount bar. He also said the Roadsmart IIs are stupid stiff and the Roadsmart IIIs are much easier. I think I'll get the machine from NoMar and probably switch to Q3+ at $173 rears or those Bridgestone S22s at $122 rears that betoney talks about rate pretty high too.  The NoMar machine is sturdy and using your hip instead of muscle does work. there are tips that work and you can get other tips watching YouTube too. There are many choices out there. How much you want to spend is up to you. My shop broke the camels back at $55.00 a tire to mount and balance. He explained it well, it's a half hour of shop time to change a tire, $110.00 and hour and $55.00 a half hour. It just doesn't compute in my brain to cost that much. 

I just mounted a set of RS2s last night the front was fine, but the rear was quite stiff. Even with the bead in the drop center, and lots of lube, it took a lot more effort than I remember the RS3 I installed on my FJR (same size as the Tracer).

16 minutes ago, draco_1967 said:

...last night the front was fine, but the rear was quite stiff.

If you are mounting tires at night, they need to be heated up a bit to be pliable.

Ari Henning has a hilarious way to do that in this video, he gets a hair dryer and has it running inside the new tire before installing.

HairDryer_.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

18 minutes ago, draco_1967 said:

the rear was quite stiff

Yeah 1 of my buddies said his rear RS2 was stiff, mine was. He said the RS3 he had put on just before this RS2 was much easier. The RS2 are hard to pass up at $161 dollars for front and rear to your door. That's regular price at Rocky Mountain.  draco_1967 what machine or knees and spoons did you use to mount yours?

14 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

If you are mounting tires at night, they need to be heated up a bit to be pliable.

Ari Henning has a hilarious way to do that in this video, he gets a hair dryer and has it running inside the new tire before installing.

The rear RS2 I put on yesterday sat in the 97-103 degree sun for over an hour.....I'd hate to mount that tire in January, LOL!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, tktplz said:

Yeah 1 of my buddies said his rear RS2 was stiff, mine was. He said the RS3 he had put on just before this RS2 was much easier. The RS2 are hard to pass up at $161 dollars for front and rear to your door. That's regular price at Rocky Mountain.  draco_1967 what machine or knees and spoons did you use to mount yours?

I am using the Harbor Freight changer with Mojo blocks and lever (link). I also have a couple of Motion Pro tire irons to help with stubborn tires. It's bolted to the floor in the garage with 4 drop-in anchors. I can remove the stand and only leave the 4 holes behind. The stand lives in the corner of the garage when not in use. Here is a picture:

jlKFuutZ5vO-BYrN2OTRbibbj35BjxBTW3A9-AL3

18 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

HairDryer_.jpg

18 hours ago, tktplz said:

The rear RS2 I put on yesterday sat in the 97-103 degree sun for over an hour.....I'd hate to mount that tire in January, LOL!

Yep, I did the front in the early afternoon, The rear sat out in the sun until the evening when I could finish. It was still rather warm, but I could have used the heat gun.

My buddies all ride VTX1800s, and run Michelin Commanders, and those are some stiff tires! I told them that I would not mount tires for them until they buy me a pneumatic tire machine 😄

Edited by draco_1967
I did the front in the early afternoon...
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1