HELP!!!!!! (Electrical Issue - Resolved)

• Supporting Member

Haven't ridden in some time. (it's been too hot, yes I live in AZ.)  Went out to start Red yesterday, and she was dead.  Nothing when I turned the key on. Pulled the seats and the battery was putting out 2.48 volts. Fortunately I had a spare battery so I put it in.   No joy.  The batt was putting ou8t 12.62 volt6s but I stilll had nothing Yes. the 50A fuse is good. I have torn the bike down to almost parade rest looking for broken wires, no joy.

SUGGESTI0NS ?

• Premium Member

Well, if you don't have any electrical at all to the bike, I would inspect your wiring harness to see if some critter has decided to make a meal of your wires. I'm not sure about AZ, but up here in Washington State, they love to get into cars and motorcycles and chew up wiring. 

If you don't get any power anywhere, and your new battery is putting out solid voltage, even with a new battery, start following the wires from the battery and test to see where they lose power. I know there are a ton of fuses stored all all over the bike, so it is easy to miss one somewhere.

Hope this helps, good luck, and let us know what you find....

• Supporting Member
23 minutes ago, scjaws said:

Haven't ridden in some time. (it's been too hot, yes I live in AZ.)  Went out to start Red yesterday, and she was dead.  Nothing when I turned the key on. Pulled the seats and the battery was putting out 2.48 volts. Fortunately I had a spare battery so I put it in.   No joy.  The batt was putting ou8t 12.62 volt6s but I stilll had nothing Yes. the 50A fuse is good. I have torn the bike down to almost parade rest looking for broken wires, no joy.

SUGGESTI0NS ?

If the bike worked fine before the battery went flat then you aren't going to suddenly have broken wires from letting the bike sit.  In addition, if it worked fine before the battery died and the ONLY thing you did was put in a new battery, then it sounds like you have a blown fuse. 

By ANY chance did you put the battery in backward? since the battery lays on its side, its easy to reverse the polarity if you don't look closely at the markings on the battery terminals, it has happened many times on this forum and the FZ/MT forum.  If that is the case then there are 2 potential fuses that can blow, one is a 50amp and the other is a 7.5amp if I recall correctly.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, betoney said:

If the bike worked fine before the battery went flat then you aren't going to suddenly have broken wires from letting the bike sit.  In addition, if it worked fine before the battery died and the ONLY thing you did was put in a new battery, then it sounds like you have a blown fuse. 

By ANY chance did you put the battery in backward? since the battery lays on its side, its easy to reverse the polarity if you don't look closely at the markings on the battery terminals, it has happened many times on this forum and the FZ/MT forum.  If that is the case then there are 2 potential fuses that can blow, one is a 50amp and the other is a 7.5amp if I recall correctly.

^^^^^^^ This All day long

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Supporting Member

My stupid.  Battery is in correctly, but the bike connection was left off.  Hooked up the horn and the SAE conns but left the bike conn sitting out of sight. I found it when I went out to check polarity.  Thanks for all the help.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member

Glad to hear you're on the road again

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member

Not quite on the road, but we are running, and discovered the culprit what drained the battery in the first place.  I'll write about that in another post.