A Pandemic Adventure - 8 days, 2250 miles, tow trucks and snow!

1 hour ago, Clegg78 said:

The exhaust pipes actually protect the oil filter pretty well I think,   but yeah the low sump on these CP3 engines can be a liability.   I feel comfortable with the SW-Motec style plate for the most part, but I am placing a stainless steel (1/8") plate under the sump area covered with some thick EDPM rubber to blunt any hits like I had there... where the skid plate could compress onto the engine but it would spread out the energy a bit more in that sensitive area.   IMO, the sump itself is brittle as hell.  No idea why they made it as thin and brittle as they did. 

Your bad experience is a great benefit to the rest of us! Sorry to say. As someone who rides a lot, far away, I'm quite interested in this. Your idea of adding a SS plate and EDM is clever and effective. I'm a sailor and use a lot of expoxies and glues. I could see adding a plate on the top/inside of the SW Motech, sandwiching rubber between, or even good closed cell foam. Love this forum! 

• Thumbsup 2

3 hours ago, keithu said:

I'm actually the author of Adobe Premiere Pro for Dummies, although that book hasn't been updated since 2011 and the last time I did any professional video work was 2015. For some reason after doing video professionally I can't get motivated to do it for fun. 

That's awesome, I may actually have a copy of that somewhere!     It is kind of amazing how much Premiere Pro has changed in the last 10 years... heck even the last 5 stuff changed a TON from what I was used to from the old v9 or what ever.     I am 100% hack at this point in premiere :)  

And I get that being burned out part!  When I worked with it daily for a job when I was younger, I still enjoyed the art of it, but was really burned out on the technical tedious tasks. 

• Thumbsup 2

3 hours ago, Salish900 said:

Your bad experience is a great benefit to the rest of us! Sorry to say. As someone who rides a lot, far away, I'm quite interested in this. Your idea of adding a SS plate and EDM is clever and effective. I'm a sailor and use a lot of expoxies and glues. I could see adding a plate on the top/inside of the SW Motech, sandwiching rubber between, or even good closed cell foam. Love this forum! 

I have the materials here (ordered from mcmaster-carr) I just need to drop the plate and get stuff mounted.   I am going to use counter sunk screws to hold the steel to the SW-Motec plate because with all the vibrations and heat swings that gets, the dissimilar heat expansion could eventually make an adhesive/epoxy fail... and last thing I want is a steel plate falling out under my rear tire :)  

Its going to be a project over the winter along with new suspension on the bike, I'll post when I do it and how I get it mounted. 

Thank you, Clegg78 for putting together that trip for us. I found the video extremely well done and even the music was good. Some videos I`ve seen had such a horrible choice of music that I had to turn the sound off to get through the video.

I`ve also driven many of those same roads you were on except, unfortunately, it wasn`t on a M/C.

Makes me long to be back out west again...

• Thumbsup 2

1 hour ago, DaStray said:

Thank you, Clegg78 for putting together that trip for us. I found the video extremely well done and even the music was good. Some videos I`ve seen had such a horrible choice of music that I had to turn the sound off to get through the video.

I`ve also driven many of those same roads you were on except, unfortunately, it wasn`t on a M/C.

Makes me long to be back out west again...

thanks!  I do really appreciate the complement on the music, I spent days working on that :)     Those roads are awesome regardless of the mode of transportation!  I am going to go back out there wiht my wife in our SUV next summer, and I am guess it will still be nice :)    

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

@Clegg78 - quick question, I'm assuming you're sporting a Shoei Neotec II in your video.  Question is, what is the comms unit you're using with it.  You've not gone down the integrated path apparently?

Was it easy enough to install given that the Neotec IIs were designed to 'only' take the Sena SRLs?

Your insights appreciated as I'm considering this helmet but don't like that Shoei have 'locked in' to what is now really dated Bluetooth S20 equivalent comms and which still commands a premium price - at least over here.

IMHO mesh & not Bluetooth is the way of the future for helmet comms.

TIA

• Thumbsup 2

9 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

@Clegg78 - quick question, I'm assuming you're sporting a Shoei Neotec II in your video.  Question is, what is the comms unit you're using with it.  You've not gone down the integrated path apparently?

Was it easy enough to install given that the Neotec IIs were designed to 'only' take the Sena SRLs?

Your insights appreciated as I'm considering this helmet but don't like that Shoei have 'locked in' to what is now really dated Bluetooth S20 equivalent comms and which still commands a premium price - at least over here.

IMHO mesh & not Bluetooth is the way of the future for helmet comms.

TIA

Yup, that's a Neotec II,    I am using a 6 or 7 year old Sena SMH-10 that just works (and has moved from my Shoei Multitec, to Neotec, to Neotec II :)) ).    It is easy to install, but yeah the helmet does want the SRL series,  This meant the SMH-10 has to be mounted slightly further around the back than normal, and the boom mic mount is a bit weird in how it gets placed due to the molded spot for the SRL mic.   But in general, it all works fine and easy to install on the Neotec II      I almost never ride with anyone else (I prefer solo riding) so I only really use the Bluetooth feature, and the audio quality of the SMH-10 is better than the SRL from my test I did with a friends Neotec with the SRL integrated.   I like the concept of the SRL, but the dial interface on the SMH (and other Sena units) is just FAR better IMO in terms of ease of use with gloves on. 

I was looking at the newer 5S to replace it, but instead I am just going to open the SMH-10 and replace the battery inside at some point.  But it still works for a full day of playing music and such. 

Edited by Clegg78
  • Thumbsup 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

+1 on that.  Looking at the video didn't see exactly where you hit the rock - didn't see any boulders in the road so wow.  I'm in the middle of installing a SRC skidpan.  It has a rear mount that goes from one side to the other in the back - looks like your old one had a mount one each side, did they go all the way across?

• Thumbsup 1

40 minutes ago, PhotoAl said:

+1 on that.  Looking at the video didn't see exactly where you hit the rock - didn't see any boulders in the road so wow.  I'm in the middle of installing a SRC skidpan.  It has a rear mount that goes from one side to the other in the back - looks like your old one had a mount one each side, did they go all the way across?

The rock was probably 3-4" in size, its highlighted in the video quickly and also being kicked out behind the bike after it did the damage.    It was a combination of the rock being in the perfect place + the bike compressing down in that dirt area onto the rock...

The SRC Skid pan does look very nice!  The plate that was on the bike was a cheaper Ebay copy of the SW Motec plate which has 2 mounts in the back and one in the front,  if the SRC links the rear mounts, then that would provide more protection.   It does look like the SRC plate uses thinner aluminum than the actual SW Motec model (which is 3.5mm from my last measurement), but in general the SRC looks like a stellar bit of protection. 

• Thumbsup 2