Do you use all 3 Yamaha cases, top and 2 sides?

• Premium Member

I too usually run only the top box and fit the panniers when on tour.  A top box is more aero and super convenient. I have a 5L micro and a 9L magnetic tank bag, and the 7L SW-Motech EVO Engage tank filler ring tank bag (and a couple larger tank bags by Chase Harper and Held) all of which nicely fill their intended roles. A 40L roll top dry bag or one of a few of my tail bags go on the pillion saddle when needed.

• Premium Member
23 hours ago, Ride365 said:

A 50L top case is beyond insane IMHO, but hey that's just my opinion......looks really awkward on such a small bike as well. I think the 39L Yamaha case is about perfect, and what I will very likely be going with. We don't want the front end any lighter than it already is, the bigger the case the more it holds and the more it can potentially lighten the front end.

I bought the Yamaha 50L top case to fit two full face helmets, the Yamaha side cases don't fit a full face, I frequently stop or park in Seattle where it isn't safe to leave anything not secured, so it is pretty much mandatory. On trips just for riding fun, I could remove them, but it's just easier to leave them on, and the space comes in handy.

6 hours ago, SKYFLIX said:

46L aluminum GIVI top case and factory side bags. No issues here, though I do run a better rear shock to handle it all.

Isn't it more to do with the rear subframe not being rated for the additional weight of all 3 bags loaded up?

To the point where on the new 2021 Tracer 9, they actually mention that the new frame is designed to handle the extra load now?

I'm sure it was mostly a CYA thing on the previous models as most people seem to be running 3 bags with no issue, but I'm sure I have seen some posts where people have had rear subframe cracks/failure.

Rob

1 minute ago, rlambke19 said:

Isn't it more to do with the rear subframe not being rated for the additional weight of all 3 bags loaded up?

To the point where on the new 2021 Tracer 9, they actually mention that the new frame is designed to handle the extra load now?

I'm sure it was mostly a CYA thing on the previous models as most people seem to be running 3 bags with no issue, but I'm sure I have seen some posts where people have had rear subframe cracks/failure.

Rob

Meh, perhaps. How much does a case really weigh with some clothes or a helmet in it? I don't go around packing bars of gold in any of my luggage.

1 hour ago, SKYFLIX said:

Meh, perhaps. How much does a case really weigh

I know coz I weighed them this summer 8kg in each pannier and 9kg in the top box (including the weight of the boxes. Everything I needed for the weeks camping tour. Do I get the prize? 😄

12 minutes ago, HGP61 said:

I know coz I weighed them this summer 8kg in each pannier and 9kg in the top box (including the weight of the boxes. Everything I needed for the weeks camping tour. Do I get the prize? 😄

Absolutely, all the prizes! So my point was that there’s no way in heck the cases and cargo are going to weigh as much as a passenger. And certainly the subframe is built for that. So I don’t really buy that it’s not strong enough for the luggage. Now perhaps luggage AND passenger, that might be overdoing it. 

• Thumbsup 1

26 minutes ago, SKYFLIX said:

Absolutely, all the prizes! So my point was that there’s no way in heck the cases and cargo are going to weigh as much as a passenger. And certainly the subframe is built for that. So I don’t really buy that it’s not strong enough for the luggage. Now perhaps luggage AND passenger, that might be overdoing it. 

Hmmmmm are you saying the passenger is baggage?... and, does your SO see your browser history?

Edited by mellow
  • Haha 2

Like some others, I have third-party luggage.  Without luggage...a motorcycle is an expensive toy.  With luggage...it's fun and useful.

It's not only useful if you want to stop for a loaf of bread and a dozen eggs, but when you stop, you have a secure location for your helmet and riding gear.

Chris

1 hour ago, mellow said:

Hmmmmm are you saying the passenger is baggage?... and, does your SO see your browser history?

LOL good point.  My wife never rides with me so I don't have to worry about confusing her with luggage!  Total weight of loaded sidecases and duffle bag is maybe 85 pounds or about what my wife weights :-)  (in case she check up on me)

Agree with Daboo about a top case would be useful and since on a trip a duffle would hold the heavy stuff with the top case shadowing behind it I don't think it would be an issue.  I've already got 1,500 trip miles with loaded sidecases and a duffle bag with no issues.  

Here are two configurations I use. Generally, either of my top cases live on the bike all the time along with the tank bag. I really like my old GIVI lockable top case because it is... Well, lockable. So around town I can stash my helmet, gloves and sometimes a riding jacket when off the bike, and it can carry two shopping bags of groceries.

I like the RKA 60 Ltr expandable panniers (And RKA tank bag) for their light weight, expandable options, and well engineered secure fitment. They are pretty water tight, but I use waterproof stuff bags for the stuff I carry in them on trips anyway . They come off the bike easily to be carried into motels, etc.

I have never had any problem due to having a top box.  I have heard of damaged sub frames, but I have never experienced it with any bike. Nor have I had serious instability at speed. 

When traveling for biz I sometimes use my GIVI Roller Bag which contains my computer and other office necessaries. (I note they do not make this anymore (Too bad, it is really nice), but do make a roller bag attachement gadget to mount on lockable top cases that also snaps on the GIVI rack-very cool)

I have used top cases on all my bikes for as long as I can remember. I agree that they make a bike look like one of those jumbo flying radar planes, but I use my bike every day, and the top box adds the practicality I need without interfering with the fun and pleasure of riding. In fact, I think it adds to it. 

IMG_0199.jpeg

IMG_0461.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1