Do you use all 3 Yamaha cases, top and 2 sides?

For my 2020 Tracer 900GT.  Just got the Yamaha rear rack, waiting on the Yamaha 50L top case.  Rack instructions warn not to use all 3 cases together?  I bought these so I could carry more!  Why does it say not to use all 3?  I know about gross vehicle weight, and the amount of weight limit of each bag. (not that much).  I do not carry a passenger, so I will use all 3 cases together anyway.  Yamaha should put that in the description of the item though.  I bought both for 20% off at Revzilla.  I wasn't going to pay 500, but I did go for it for 400 USD.

• Thumbsup 1

I have the smaller 39L Yamaha top case but also carry a passenger on day trips. When carrying a passenger, generally all three bags are full.  In that case, it's just common sense, and you take it easy. I'm sure Yamaha's disclaimer is purely for liability reasons.

The GT is a great bike even in its stock form.  When loaded up,  adjust the suspension accordingly, turn on some traction control and put the bike in B mode.  Otherwise, quickly ditch the bags , no traction control with A mode and the ride the bike like a raped ape.

?%26q=top%2520case%26author=roadwarrior%

• Thumbsup 2

9 hours ago, Coop said:

Dang Joe!  You have some serious luggage there.  You must change socks several times a day to require so much storage.  LOL!

It's more about ease of use... I despise side loading saddlebags because there's not really a lot of useful space and opening them without stuff falling out is just about impossible without modifications.  I almost went with the shad 23 top loading bags as they were smaller but I didn't like the rack design and givi is typically tougher and have more options down the road.  Also, the rack can be removed easily.

I don't load the bags up with lots of heavy stuff, it's more about being able to pack, unpack and access your stuff easier.  Yes, they are 36L vs 22L so the bike is wider and probably take a 1-2 mpg hit... maybe... but it's worth it.  I probably, on a tour, will only fill one with light stuff like clothes, sweater, extra gloves, small jet boil and some coffee and the other with tools, tire repair stuff, sandals, rei flexlite camp chair, maybe some rain gear.  The top box is mostly empty other than a lunch container w/electrical cords, phone charger, extra sena headset.  That leaves me room to get some food on my way to the campground.  The nice part is when I open the lid, half of my stuff doesn't fall out.. lol

• Thumbsup 5

I tour with the side bags with an expandable tail bag on the passenger seat.  I have been looking at getting the 39L top case but so far my current set up suits me for the trips I have taken.   If the day ever comes that the tail bag is not enough I will probably get a rack and top case.  

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

A 50L top case is beyond insane IMHO, but hey that's just my opinion......looks really awkward on such a small bike as well. I think the 39L Yamaha case is about perfect, and what I will very likely be going with. We don't want the front end any lighter than it already is, the bigger the case the more it holds and the more it can potentially lighten the front end.

Many good points being made in this topic. My bike came with a three box SHAD set of Luggage I I have never had an issue when using all three at the same time. I do like to travel as light as possible when touring and am not tempted to put a bit extra in just because I have the space. I made a point of weighing everything I took with me this summer on my week's tour. The three boxes loaded came in at 25kg and I don't  think that would cause an issue at the mounting points. Appreciate  the points made about top loading panniers made previously and am now a convert to inner pannier bags, didn't want them for My previous bike but love the set that came with the Tracer.

FILE0580.JPG

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
48 minutes ago, HGP61 said:

Appreciate  the points made about top loading panniers made previously and am now a convert to inner pannier bags, didn't want them for My previous bike but love the set that came with the Tracer.

Agreed, I bought the inner removable bags for my Shad 36 side cases, IMO they should be part of the package as I cant imagine ever using the side bags with out them unless you are only stuffing in a bulky jacket or similar.

• Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

I bought the bike used with GIVI side cases and a rear rack.  For day rides I like the top case.  When traveling I load the side cases and keep the top case empty and ready for whatever.  On a previous bike I experienced the instability of a short wheelbase bike with big luggage in a bad wind.  Maybe that's why Yamaha cautions against 3 bags?

fj and gs.PNG

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

Ive resisted the temptation to add a top case.  Not fond of it being so far back.  When touring use both sidecases and a large duffle on the rear seat crank up the suspension and go.  So far my experience has been I can get everything I need for a two week trip in the two sidecases and a 58 liter duffle.  Have thought about adding a small top case for small light stuff like rain gear and a place to store helmet when stopping.  Currently when I stop always pull GoPro and Garmin and stow in tank bag which I take with me.  I walking around in full gear with a helmet and tank bag.  With a shoulder strap a tank bag isn't too difficult but helmet makes it difficult.  When doing a day trip it gets more difficult.  can put jacket and tank bag in side cases but left with helmet to carry.   39L Yamaha top case would be a nice addition for that.  

9 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

Have thought about adding a small top case for small light stuff like rain gear and a place to store helmet when stopping.

My previous bike had a cheap 52ltr top box and while I prefer the look of the smaller SHAD box on the back of the Tracer I Have missed that I could always find space in the larger box to store the helmet when parked up. I only have the panniers on for overnight trips and even though I fitted a helmet lock on the Tracer I don't particularly like leaving it locked on with that wee bit of wire that came in the toolkit. At least no one has thought of using the helmet as a urinal yet.