Remove OEM stickers from tank

petshark

Mine peeled off quite easilly and a bit of WD40 and a cloth took of the residue. The bike had been sitting in the sun before I removed the sticker so you could heat the area slightly with a hair dryer or some hot water before you peel the sticker off.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

Yep, WD-40 is the best I've found for removing decal glue residue.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

So out of 3 jobs I did today on the bike this was the second fail. The heat gun quickly got the stickers loose but the glue had no intention of going anywhere. I tried tons of WD-40 and let it soak in multiple passes. Watched some YouTube videos and tried the credit card trick. More WD-40. The glue was not budging. Then found a video that said to use isopropyl alcohol. This totally dissolved the glue in a few seconds. Only to find out that a credit card and WD-40 do in fact scratch the paint. 😞 Hopefully this will be fixed with polishing/paint correction if I ever buy such a machine. 

• Sad 1

On 1/18/2021 at 12:19 PM, petshark said:

So out of 3 jobs I did today on the bike this was the second fail. The heat gun quickly got the stickers loose but the glue had no intention of going anywhere. I tried tons of WD-40 and let it soak in multiple passes. Watched some YouTube videos and tried the credit card trick. More WD-40. The glue was not budging. Then found a video that said to use isopropyl alcohol. This totally dissolved the glue in a few seconds. Only to find out that a credit card and WD-40 do in fact scratch the paint. 😞 Hopefully this will be fixed with polishing/paint correction if I ever buy such a machine. 

You can remove light scuffs/scratches with a cleaner wax like Kit branded wax.  It has extremely fine cleaner abrasives that polish the scuffs out.  I have been using it for almost 50 years for this purpose.

Looks like the same thing here...renamed.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Got ride of the g00/Tracer/GT on mine over the weekend, bit of heat from the wifey's hairdryer and they peeled right off. I only needed a bit of rubbing alcohol on a microfiber cloth, cleaned right up like nothing was there.......LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER!!!! 

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 years later...
On 1/19/2021 at 4:19 AM, petshark said:

the glue was not budging. Then found a video that said to use isopropyl alcohol.

Eucalyptus oil is also a good solvent of glues and other gunk: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucalyptus_oil#Cleaning - just make sure to get the concentrated stuff. I use it for all manner of annoying sticker removal.

Gentle warming with a heat gun or hair dryer to peel off the sticker follow by a gentle soak and rub with the oil normally does the trick. Just be careful to start with low heat as excess heat will damage the paintwork.

Edited by ZigMerid