Rear wheel spinning too fast?

RollIt

2016 FJ09, Bike on centre stand, when i put 1st gear (clutch pulled in) the rear wheel spins at 8mph at idle throttle. Release the clutch completely and it still spins at 8mph. This is with cold engine at around 65F ambient temperature. I didn't check with warm/hot engine yet.

Is this normal clutch drag? 

• Supporting Member

Mine does this, too.  Seems to stop when it gets up to temp.

• Thumbsup 2

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Premium Member

Mine is very similar.  The wheel spins more as you described than any of the 9 previous bikes I've owned.  Pushing it around in the garage requires the transmission be shifted to neutral.  On the road, at stop signs, in parking lots, etc... I don't notice any problem.

• Thumbsup 2

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

• Supporting Member

haha I have done that!!

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
24 minutes ago, whisperquiet said:

It is a good speed to lube the chain.

18 minutes ago, knyte said:

haha I have done that!!

I use that method after every single ride.  A quick shot of chain lube, let it spin for a few seconds, wipe off excess with a rag, - done. 👍

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

7 hours ago, duhg said:

Mine is very similar.  The wheel spins more as you described than any of the 9 previous bikes I've owned.  Pushing it around in the garage requires the transmission be shifted to neutral.  On the road, at stop signs, in parking lots, etc... I don't notice any problem.

yeah it feels a bit of work to roll backwards, that's why i was worried if something is wrong. Thanks for sharing your experience!

• Thumbsup 1

For anyone suggesting lubing the chain like that... I recommend against it. Lots of people have lost fingers that way. 

If you insist, at least please don't try to clean the chain that way. Be very careful, don't use a rag, just lube.

• Thumbsup 2

In my mind the wheel spins like this because your friction clutch is acting a bit like a torque converter in an automatic transmission.  Just the fluid is spinning around and transfers some of the torque.  Once the fluid gets hot and thins out it doesn't transfer the torque as well anymore.  

• Thumbsup 1

On 2/11/2021 at 5:58 PM, fddriver2 said:

Normal. When the oil warms up. It will stop 

ok, here's the update. It didn't stop after warming up (after 1 hour riding)!

Even with hot engine it spins at same 8mph. 

Something to worry/fix now?

Edited by RollIt