Query- inseam v seat height

LeeS

A 33" seat height is already 3+ inches higher than my inseam. On a good day w/boots on, my inseam may be 30" +/-. I can't flatfoot my FJR so I'm wondering how much more difficult it will be some someone who's inseam-challenged to get feet flat w/the Tracer 900 GT. Comments? 

Thanks. 

Lee 

• Supporting Member

I'm barely 30" inseam, probably closer to 29". I have added the lowering kit from T-Rex which gave me an additional 1.5".

I'm not an aggressive rider so I don't see much difference in performance but have clipped the center stand a couple times when crossing a curb.

I picked up a pair of CALTO G6252 boots which promise an additional 3.5" but it reality it may be closer to 2".

I find if I put my left leg down first and keep my right leg on the rear brake it helps with stability.

There is also the Yamaha lowered seat which does not get good reviews.

Small Guy on Motorcycle

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Even though I have a 33" inseam, I also have a taller seat, I have never used both feet flat footed.  I do like @Heli ATP mentioned, shift my butt off to one side with one foot on the ground and one foot on the peg.

My dirtbike seat height is 39" and I have a +1.5" taller seat, physically impossible to get both feet on the ground, so I never have.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

When I think pants inseam it is not down to the floor but rather an inch are two off the ground.  I have a 32" inseam but have no trouble with the bike.  Not sure I can flatfoot both feet with the seat in the high position.  When I bought it the seat was in the high position and it was a bit high but not an issue.  2,000 miles later when I got it home I put the seat in the low position. Easy to get on and off now and can flatfoot well enough - not sure I have ever tried to flatfoot both feet, usually just have one foot to just the front of a foot on the ground.  The Tracer GT is light enough balance wise that it is not a problem coming to a stop and putting one foot down and not the other.  Some bikes I've had have been very top heavy and needed to be kept closer to upright.  The only time I think it might be an issue is when there is a hole or dip on the side you want to put your foot down on - have to think about that and make a good stop and put the foot down on the better side.  One of those things that can catch you out if not watching out.  Personally I'd rather deal with a little effort putting my foot down carefully rather than lower the bike.

• Thumbsup 1

I have no interest in lowering the bike but my concern is being able to safely flatfoot the bike, even if w/only one leg. W/my FJR, it's a bit top heavy and signficantly heavier than the T900GT, but also a touch lower. I always have to be very focused when coming to a stop, especially if I have a rider onboard, and remain surefooted throughout the ordeal. That's why the GT's seat height concerns me. 

Lee

I have the FJ-09, and I'm not sure how much different the bikes are in this respect, so take my words for what they're worth. I'm 5-10, 160 lbs, with a 30 inch inseam. On the upright bike with me on the full part of the seat I can barely touch with my tippy toes. So I usually scootch forward onto the thin front part of the seat and use only my left leg at stops. My right leg stays up on the peg, foot ready to push on the brake as needed (for a U turn, or a sharp right at a T stop, etc). 

This is a technique I've used forever, including those whose weight is measured in tons. I've never had an issue with it. It's just second nature, I don't even think about it. As I slow down, I snick it into 1st, slide forward, drop the foot, stop. The FJ is so light that I've never worried about it tipping past the point of no return. 

• Thumbsup 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

2 hours ago, LeeS said:

I have no interest in lowering the bike but my concern is being able to safely flatfoot the bike, even if w/only one leg. W/my FJR, it's a bit top heavy and signficantly heavier than the T900GT, but also a touch lower. I always have to be very focused when coming to a stop, especially if I have a rider onboard, and remain surefooted throughout the ordeal. That's why the GT's seat height concerns me. 

Lee

I certainly understand your concerns.  Have you tried the Tracer GT with the seat in the lower position?  I have found the Tracer GT, although not lightweight to be not top heave and an easy bike to keep up and balance.  Before the Tracer GT I had a BMW F800GT about the same weight but amazingly a bit more top heavy and harder to balance at low speed - that really surprised me.  Before the BMW I had a Yamaha FZ6, a Honda CBR600RR and a Kawasaki ZX6R 636 ABS.  All of those bikes were lighter than the Tracer but a lot more top heavy.  More than once I found myself pushing with pretty much all my leg strength to keep from dropping the bike because it got a little off balance.  Either I'm a lot better rider or the Tracer is much easier.

If you have a friend or know a dealer with a Tracer GT get them to put the seat in the low position and then take a something the same thickness as the difference between the standard seat and the low seat and see how it is to flat foot the bike while having your feet on the wood.  For example if it is 1/2" lower then get a piece of say 1/2" thick MDF that 1 foot by 3 foot and put under the bike and see how well you can flat foot.  Would be careful doing this as most showrooms have a slick concrete floor and MDF could slide around a bit.  Just a quick thought on how to check.  I certainly understand your concern.  I have done several long trips where I have my bike with loaded side cases, a big waterproof duffle on the rear seat and a tank bag crammed full.  Riding into a campground on a gravel road at slow speed and uneven terrain can be a challenge.  Camped in the Black Hills once, had to ride up a steep (to me) short hill on a gravel road.  I was very afraid would spin the rear wheel and drop the bike but had very good traction from the gravel surface and made it without any trouble.

Bought my bike in Sioux Falls SD where it is flat and not too hard to get around, I had over 2,000 miles on it by the time I got home where it is hilly and can be more of a challenge.

• Thumbsup 1

I have a 30" inseam and stock, the bike was too tall for me. I installed the Yamaha oem lowering links and the bike is now at the limit of what I'm comfortable with. I also lowered the forks by the same amount to keep the original geometry. 
If you do this, you should get a lowered side stand as well (hello Yamaha) as when you get on the lowered bike, the side stand being the original height, makes the bike want to pitch over. You should also adjust your preload, and even then, if you take a dip the wrong way, it'll drag the centerstand.
A difficult problem to correct for the short legged, but otherwise my favorite bike ever.

• Thumbsup 1

LeeS, you are going to get many contrary opinions on this topic.

I am 29.5inside leg. I have a 2019 Tracer GT. Yes the bike is tall but feels nothing like the Specn suggests when you get on it. I have mine on the low seat setting.

Yes, I would rather it was 25mm  lower but it is manageable imo.

Yes, you do have to look at the road camber when you are getting off but I never ever wish that I had not bought it.

P.S. 

The OEM seat is really uncomfortable, goodness knows what Yamaha's pared down version feels like.

Bagster rules.

I'm 5' 11'' with a 31 inch inseam and initially I felt that the Tracer was too high, no way would I feel comfortable With the seat on the high setting. But you will get used to it very quickly as long as you can get the balls of your feet down and feel confident in your slow speed control i don't think you will have any problems. I have only struggled once and that was more with the road camber, I wobbled a bit when I came to a stop and could not put my left foot down and couldn't pull it back off the side stand when I was ready to go on. However one of the benefits of the Tracer is the light weight and I only had to push the bike a few yards to a flat bit of the road and get on.

FILE0584.JPG

• Thumbsup 1

Don't confuse your pants size with your leg length.  I'm 6'-2" and wear 34" length pants, but my actual measurement from the ground to the sensitive bits is 37" (I'm a bit abnormally proportioned, all legs).  

• Thumbsup 1

Im 5'5" 160 lbs 28" inseam.  My tracer is my daily driver.  I can't flat foot it.... actually I'm barely able to tippy toe, unless I have a very heavy passenger. (My last bike was a slightly stretched 2003 very low Honda shadow, so to me this bike feels very top heavy)  If it's not windy and im stuck at a long light some times I'll do the Captain Morgan stance and flat foot my left and rest my right leg on the seat.  When I first got the bike I was looking at lowering links and all that but decided not to mess with the bike geometry without riding it for a bit.  After riding it a few weeks I got used to it and decided to leave it as is.  Im glad I didn't change anything.  As tall as the bike is there are a few speed bumps in my gated neighborhood my tracer bottoms out on, I'm not a heavy guy (I'm very sure they are illegal) .  I just have to make sure when i stop I play attention to the road and never stop at a place where my bike straddles a pot hole or dip so I can still at least tippy toe. The only changes to my bike is Madstad MRA vario windshield,  and added an air horn.  

Not being able to flat foot it was scary at first,  especially coming from such a low bike,  doesn't bother me a bit now. Although I can't duck waddle backwards,  but i've learned I don't really need to. 

• Thumbsup 2

I think they have the engine as low as possible which gives it the light feel - which I really like.  Also if you are getting much suspension sag it is worse.  I scraped my skid pan the other day going out of my driveway - valley gutter.  LOL my Honda Metropolitian scooter will scrape really badly if I don't come and go at an angle.  According to my youngest daughter that is because I'm too big for it - I only weigh 180 pounds.

I love my Tracer GT, the more I ride it the more I like it, took some suspension adjustment and a different windscreen and different tires but it is a fantastic bike.

On 2/22/2021 at 12:12 PM, Jfundo said:

Don't confuse your pants size with your leg length.  I'm 6'-2" and wear 34" length pants, but my actual measurement from the ground to the sensitive bits is 37" (I'm a bit abnormally proportioned, all legs).  

Hah I hear this :)  

I'm 6'4" myself, but "all torso".  I wear 32/33" length pants, but I can easily "double flatfoot" the Tracer with the seat in the high position.