Laptop case size tail pack?

PaulS

Hi all,

Looking forward to using my 900 for commuting when the time comes and after suggestions. On my old 700 I had a Givi Trekker 52l top box which I was used to simply throwing a laptop bag into before the commute. I'm not keen on having another top box, and also not keen on back packs. Is there a shallow tail pack out there that can be left permanently on the bike and just be flipped open to take a lap top bag? 

Harbor Freight has some fairly thin depth hard lockable waterproof cases that might work. They look like Pelican boxes.

You'd have to figure out how to attach it. FWIW, hope this helps.

Edited by TomTracer
Added info.
  • Thumbsup 1

I have a 39L Yamaha Top car I added just for helmet storage while stopping.  For day trips it's nice to have the extra space and I can put my helmet, tank bag and jacket away and not have to carry them.  I'm about to take a short trip to the Kansas City area and will see how well it works.  I'll have loaded side cases and a duffle bag on the rear seat but an empty top case - well may put rain jacket there for easy access.  So far the top case has not caused any problems - I don't ride with a pillion.  

Harbor freight boxes are good.  I have an Apache 3800 which is the mid sized one.  I checked and my ACER Aspire S5-371 will fit in a case but not a lot of room left - maybe an extra inch on width and length.  It's a 13" I think - S13. For mounting I would drill holes in the bottom and bolt it in place.  O rings on the inside plus some silicon should keep it from leaking.  The harbor Freight cases are well made and lockable.

• Thumbsup 1

@PaulS, a Kriega US20 is a good choice for this. Clips onto the rear seat easily, is waterproof, and you just unclip and take it into work with you. You’re just left with four aluminium hooks that hang at the sides of the seat. It’s my bag of choice when I work commute, but I don’t carry a laptop. I suspect you’d need the laptop in something like a neoprene cover for protection.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kriega-Drypack-US20-Tailpack-Version/dp/B07SQ8BJJZ

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member

This will work for a laptop. It's tight, but I had one for a while. You have to get the large one it expands.

Cortech Super 2.0 Tail Bag - RevZilla

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Been using this Samsonite just barely holds my 14" laptop and 8.5 x 11" papers in a file folder (have actually loaded a couple inches worth of paper and the laptop in it. Case will fit into the stock GT  sidecases on a bit of an angle, unfortunately I don't think anything bigger will is going to fit.

• Thumbsup 1

My Lenovo does not fit in Yamaha's GT side cases, which is a real bummer. I ended up biting the bullet and mounting a Givi rear rack and slapping my old 48L Kappa top case on it. Not what you're looking to do I know, but neither was I. I'm happy I did it. I just chuck whatever in there and go, helmet, riding gear, groceries. When I don't need the capacity, off with it. 

• Thumbsup 2

On 4/11/2021 at 6:53 AM, larolco said:

My Lenovo does not fit in Yamaha's GT side cases, which is a real bummer. I ended up biting the bullet and mounting a Givi rear rack and slapping my old 48L Kappa top case on it. Not what you're looking to do I know, but neither was I. I'm happy I did it. I just chuck whatever in there and go, helmet, riding gear, groceries. When I don't need the capacity, off with it. 

I'm starting to think that way now. I had a Trekker 52l top box on my last bike, and like you say didn't think twice about simply chucking in anything needed. Commuting won't start for a while. May take another look at Kriega bags that simply have a four point base you leave on the bike.

Edited by PaulS

Another thumbs up for the Givi solutions for me. I have both the 46L and 30L dolimiti top cases and I feel like they were well worth the investment from the security standpoint alone. I slap the 46L on when I need to secure my helmet. Or if I'm just commuting to/from work where I can take my helmet in with me, the 30L is plenty of space for my 16" macbook.

• Thumbsup 1