Corbin Question

I am just about ready to pull the trigger on a new Corbin for my 19 GT.  I've looked at (and used the Search function diligently) all the main options, from doing the simple mod to eliminate the slope with the stock seat to the Bagster options and Top Sellerie (both from France). For a variety of reasons, including the fact that Chromeburner doesn't appear to have much in stock at the moment in the Bagster line, I am now leaning toward the Corbin.  I've had Corbins on my last two bikes (Suzuki TL1000S and Harley XR1200) so I know what their design philosophy is, and understand their penchant for firm support, so my questions are more specific.

First, I am a tall guy (6'3") with most of that height in my legs (36" inseam jeans).  I find on the stock seat that I want to push my butt to the back of the seat, but that is not a good spot on that seat; I find myself pushing uphill and then really feel the crack between the rider and passenger seats.  So, I have seen at least one comment suggesting that your butt does sit further back in the seat with the Corbin than with the stock seat, and I am interested in observations and comments as to whether that is accurate. That is my main question, and I thank you in advance for any responses.

Second, I would be interested in what others have included in their build in terms of any custom options that don't show up on their quick order page on the website. I'm considering the heat option; certainly never had that on any of my bikes over the past 45 years, but heck, since I've got heated grips now, maybe a warm butt would encourage me to ride a little deeper in the season.

Any general comments and observations welcome as well!  Like I say, I have read everything I can find here on these seats, but need to confirm a couple of things before I place an order.  Thanks in advance.

• Supporting Member

The Corbin seat I have for the '19/20 is different to the one for the 15-17. I did not ride on the 19/20 so my input is subjective.

I have a short inseam and with the '17 I sit back while cruising but slide forward in traffic for stops. I really like the comfort of the Corbin for long distance (2.5Hrs max so far) as it causes no ill effects. The stock seat had me hurting after 30 minutes.  I'm including a pic of both seats 19/20 on left and 15-17 on right. The 19/20 seems like it would be more suited to us with short legs as it is narrower. All the same I would not give up my 15-17.

I picked up the 19/20 by mistake and have it listed in the for sale section.

Seats.jpg

I have a ‘20 and a Corbin on order. I have already replaced the stocker with a Bagster and still get sore around my inner thighs. I’m praying the Corbin solves that issue. A gamble I know. I feel like a might be the “Princess and the Pea”.

Having said that, I will most likely be putting the Bagster up for sale. 

12 minutes ago, Waldo Jeffers said:

I have a ‘20 and a Corbin on order. I have already replaced the stocker with a Bagster and still get sore around my inner thighs. I’m praying the Corbin solves that issue. A gamble I know. I feel like a might be the “Princess and the Pea”.

Inner thighs?   Hmmm....last time I was out on my 2019, I felt soreness in my inner thighs afterwards too but it wasn't from the seat, its from un-conditioned and oxygen-starved muscles doing things they haven't done in a long time.

6 minutes ago, Skidood said:

Inner thighs?   Hmmm....last time I was out on my 2019, I felt soreness in my inner thighs afterwards too but it wasn't from the seat, its from un-conditioned and oxygen-starved muscles doing things they haven't done in a long time.

😂 Granted I’m not in the greatest shape, it’s more of the seat putting a pressure point on my groin/thigh. TMI?

3 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

The Corbin seat I have for the '19/20 is different to the one for the 15-17. I did not ride on the 19/20 so my input is subjective.

I have a short inseam and with the '17 I sit back while cruising but slide forward in traffic for stops. I really like the comfort of the Corbin for long distance (2.5Hrs max so far) as it causes no ill effects. The stock seat had me hurting after 30 minutes.  I'm including a pic of both seats 19/20 on left and 15-17 on right. The 19/20 seems like it would be more suited to us with short legs as it is narrower. All the same I would not give up my 15-17.

I picked up the 19/20 by mistake and have it listed in the for sale section.

Seats.jpg

That is more of a difference than I would have expected.  Very interesting.  Thanks for posting that pic.

• Thumbsup 1

5 hours ago, Waldo Jeffers said:

Which model of Bagster?

I have a 19 GT also.  I can not say enough good things about my Terry Adcox seat.  He has you take photos of you sitting on the bike so he can build the seat to fit you.  He also will discuss with you what concerns you have with the stock seat to help him understand what you are looking for in the way of comfort.  Turn around for me was six days and worth the wait!!

When riding I completely forget about the seat and just enjoy the ride.  On one particular trip I had to make time getting home so on the last day I had to use the interstate toward the end.  I did 150 miles non stop sitting in one spot on the seat.  No squirming or "hot spots" to speak of.   The forward slope is gone as well. 

20210415_210416.jpg

Edited by johnmark101
  • Thumbsup 4

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, gerrychuck said:

That is more of a difference than I would have expected.  Very interesting.  Thanks for posting that pic.

While a picture might be worth a thousand words I wouldn't let it deter you from a Corbin without some further investigation. Corbin can make a seat to your specs if asked. Some may say the shape of the 19/20 is better for the twisties. 🏍️

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
13 hours ago, Waldo Jeffers said:

😂 Granted I’m not in the greatest shape, it’s more of the seat putting a pressure point on my groin/thigh. TMI?

That was the last sticking point for me when I had my custom seat built - pressure point on my inner thigh , especially since I grip the tank with my knees.  I had it adjusted a few times by the builder, narrowing the front section and ensuring the top to sides of the foam was sanded round and smooth.

image.png.18195b46962b97c92467fd2e60b00815.png

image.png.b1c2f96ddff6f729a88c0b7c22bd8023.png

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

3 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

I have a 19 GT also.  I can not say enough good things about my Terry Adcox seat.  He has you take photos of you sitting on the bike so he can build the seat to fit you.  He also will discuss with you what concerns you have with the stock seat to help him understand what you are looking for in the way of comfort.  Turn around for me was six days and worth the wait!!

When riding I completely forget about the seat and just enjoy the ride.  On one particular trip I had to make time getting home so on the last day I had to use the interstate toward the end.  I did 150 miles non stop sitting in one spot on the seat.  No squirming or "hot spots" to speak of.   The forward slope is gone as well. 

20210415_210416.jpg

I've seen his seats mentioned, and checked out his website. If I wait til winter I would consider getting one from him, but with the two way cross-border shipping times added on to the time it takes him to build the seat I imagine I would be off the bike for a month at the very least. Thanks for the post and the pic!

Worst seat I ever had was a Corbin ordered when I purchased a new R1100RT BMW. They had zero interest in working with me on it. The best was a CBailey the made free for me. I bought a used Russell Day Long and Bailey was just getting into the seat business. I suggested on a web site that those of us who had different seats we didn't really like could on an honor system swap those seats to try other makes. Bailey contacted me volunteering to take the Russell in exchange for a rider/pillion custom seat made free. They paid for shipping the Russell, and within 2 days of me sending my info sent me a custom seat combo. It wasn't quite right, I told them so and in 2 days I had a remake that was fantastic fit. They paid for return shipping. I rode many 500 - 900+ days on that seat. I forgot all about Terry Adcox, good reputation and apparently good workmanship with options. Thanks for the post! CBailey has gone out of the seat business sticking to airplane window products I think.

18 minutes ago, TomTracer said:

Worst seat I ever had was a Corbin ordered when I purchased a new R1100RT BMW. They had zero interest in working with me on it. The best was a CBailey the made free for me. I bought a used Russell Day Long and Bailey was just getting into the seat business. I suggested on a web site that those of us who had different seats we didn't really like could on an honor system swap those seats to try other makes. Bailey contacted me volunteering to take the Russell in exchange for a rider/pillion custom seat made free. They paid for shipping the Russell, and within 2 days of me sending my info sent me a custom seat combo. It wasn't quite right, I told them so and in 2 days I had a remake that was fantastic fit. They paid for return shipping. I rode many 500 - 900+ days on that seat. I forgot all about Terry Adcox, good reputation and apparently good workmanship with options. Thanks for the post! CBailey has gone out of the seat business sticking to airplane window products I think.

I've had two Corbins, one bought used and one ordered through their website, which was exactly as ordered and was delivered in very reasonable time. I know that hasn't been everyone's experience, but my experience with the company and their products has been good. Thanks for sharing your experience.