Heated Grips

Another thumbs-up for the OEM setup.
Works great for me, fast to warm up when needed, easy to work on the fly.
Maybe a bit pricy, but well worth it.
I tend to ride during all but snow conditions (call me boring...). Our passes go up well into the 10000ft range, and it gets cold up there, yet with the proper gear, and the OEM heated grips, the ride remains pleasurable.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
Read through this but did not see an answer to this question. I understand there is a connector plug-in for the OEM heated grips already on the bike. I plan on using the $30 dollar heat elements under the grips. Can I use the OEM connector and where is it located? Color etc? I guess I'm really just looking for an ignition key activated hot-wire to connect to. thanks!

the connector is on the right hand side under the turn signal fairing.. towards the rear of the bike next to the diagnostic connectors. You'll see two little plugs of the same type as the turn signal connector (I think I recall they were gray).

When I get home, unless someone else beats me too it, I'll try and put a pic of the oem heated grip cable routing instructions, that will help you find it.

Keep in mind, the OEM grips integrate into the menu of the bike, I don't think the plugs would provide power all the time, but I wonder if you can trick it into thinking it has oem grips installed.

• 1 year later...
I just ordered the yamaha heated grips. Getting them installed this weekend. Just curious, how many temp settings are there? How are they adjusted? Will they be good down to ~1 hr. riding in 30 degree weather with nothing else other than standard leather gloves?

I just ordered the yamaha heated grips. Getting them installed this weekend. Just curious, how many temp settings are there? How are they adjusted? Will they be good down to ~1 hr. riding in 30 degree weather with nothing else other than standard leather gloves?
ten lvls of heat... seems like most of us barely go past lvl 6...theses babys kick out heat... 
you can only program 3 lvls to select from when riding...otherwise you gotta stop and go thru the menu and redo the lvls... the instructions will explain it all

in the summer I set em at 1,2,3 and for winter 3,4,5... I would do the install your self so you can add some electric tape to the left side to help keep the heat feeling even between the right and left...the right side is gonna be hotter due to throttle tube acting as an insulator...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

ten lvls of heat... seems like most of us barely go past lvl 6...theses babys kick out heat... 
you can only program 3 lvls to select from when riding...otherwise you gotta stop and go thru the menu and redo the lvls... the instructions will explain it all

in the summer I set em at 1,2,3 and for winter 3,4,5... I would do the install your self so you can add some electric tape to the left side to help keep the heat feeling even between the right and left...the right side is gonna be hotter due to throttle tube acting as an insulator...

You’ll be fine unless it’s raining/snowing. I have had mine at max temp when the temp was 34 and going between rain and snow. Since the stock handgaurds don’t actually offer any weather protection, if you’re wearing non insulated (even waterproof) gloves and they get wet the backs of your hands will freeze while the insides cook.

ETA: Derp. Quoted wrong post.

Thanks for the info, glad to hear they get pretty hot. Never had heated grips before so it's all pretty exciting for me. I rode an r6 year round throughout college with normal leather gloves and those winters were brutal on my hands. Stoked to be older and wiser now with my fj and creature comforts haha.

You’ll be fine unless it’s raining/snowing. I have had mine at max temp when the temp was 34 and going between rain and snow. Since the stock handgaurds don’t actually offer any weather protection, if you’re wearing non insulated (even waterproof) gloves and they get wet the backs of your hands will freeze while the insides cook.

That's good to know. I expect this year to be pretty rainy up here by Seattle so it sounds like some hippo hands or equivalent might be in short order. Sounds like you've been through the rough weather, have you tried / do you like those style hand covers?

That's good to know. I expect this year to be pretty rainy up here by Seattle so it sounds like some hippo hands or equivalent might be in short order. Sounds like you've been through the rough weather, have you tried / do you like those style hand covers?
I've never used those riding, but we'd use something similar white water kayaking in the spring when it'd still be snowing, and they always were great. I had BarkBusters Storm gaurds on my Tiger, and those were awesome. Tried the Givi handgaurd extensions for the FJ, and those were worthless. I'm actually in sunny southern California, and the heated grips and non-insulated waterproof gloves are usually fine for the "cold/wet" weather we get here. I only freeze when I take trips somewhere else.  (rofl)

I've never used those riding, but we'd use something similar white water kayaking in the spring when it'd still be snowing, and they always were great. I had BarkBusters Storm gaurds on my Tiger, and those were awesome. Tried the Givi handgaurd extensions for the FJ, and those were worthless. I'm actually in sunny southern California, and the heated grips and non-insulated waterproof gloves are usually fine for the "cold/wet" weather we get here. I only freeze when I take trips somewhere else.  (rofl)

Nice, thanks for the info. I tested my heated grips for the first time this morning. Low 40s for my 40ish minute commute. It was set at 10...man was it hot on the throttle hand. Borderline uncomfortable with my leather gloves hah. So nice though. I think I'll be good until at least December before considering glove liners or hand covers...or both!

• Supporting Member
Nice, thanks for the info. I tested my heated grips for the first time this morning. Low 40s for my 40ish minute commute. It was set at 10...man was it hot on the throttle hand. Borderline uncomfortable with my leather gloves hah.
I dont know how you managed to ride with them set on 10, you're lucky you still have skin left on your palms.  I have ridden many times in the mid 30's and use settings between 4 and 6 and even then I can only use 6 for short periods. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I use 10 in the winter, but usually only for short periods. I have run on 10 for extended periods while riding in 30-40F temps. I still have the stock, useless hand guards though.

Archived