Heated Grips

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has anyone taken temperature readings of the OEM heated grips? I tried searching to no luck..

lvls 7-10 are hot!!!!! even when its 20°F out... lvl 10 will probably make the devil cry uncle
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Has anyone taken temperature readings of the OEM heated grips? I tried searching to no luck..
lvls 7-10 are hot!!!!! even when its 20°F out... lvl 10 will probably make the devil cry uncle
I knew the highest setting was ridiculous lol8.gif was wondering if anybody knew what the exact temps were.  

Stuna: 
Three questions for you if I may:

1.  Did they require a lot of trimming to fit?
2.  Are the grips comfortable or have you had to add Grip puppies or the like?
3.  Are they nice and hot?   --- I'm assuming this is yes, but I guess what I'm asking are you finding that you have to have it on high all the time to keep your hands warm or do you vary it fairly often depending on the temperature.  I am sort of stuck between these and the Oxfords.

Thank you.

• Premium Member
My take on Yamaha heated grips. Work very well and they are plug n play with menu control. Each of the three settings have a 1-10 heat setting. I set 1 at 1. 2 at 3 and 3 at 6. All settings are right in the menu on the bike. I always wear gloves. The heated grips are comfortable. My setting one at one is just noticeable at temps of sixty degrees. Setting two at three is nice and warm. Setting three at six is very warm to hot and good for below 40 degrees. This works for me in cool Florida mornings in the November through Feb. months. I can't imagine setting anything higher than six in ambient temps forty degrees or higher.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• Premium Member
When I bought my FJ I got the dealer to throw in the factory heated grips at cost. Still expensive, but the $150 or so was a lot easier to swallow and the factory control integration is well worth it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just bought the Yamaha heated grip kit for $225 online. No tax and free shipping (https://www.yocracing.com/). We'll see how tough they are to install. I will let you all know. Also bought a Parabellum tall windshield (26"). Next is tires!
I bought these as well from YOC just came in today, excited to get them installed! 

Just finished the install last night of the OEM Yamaha heated grips. Pretty straight forward install. Had to buy the 12mm hex socket in 1/2 from Amazon. Could not find it locally. The inner handlebar nut on the throttle side was VERY difficult to remove. I ended up heating it up to break the bond. Used a small butane torch (on the bar, not the nut). It was "red loc-tight" tight. Heat worked great. Had to remove everything off the right handlebar that I could remove. Left side was not difficult at all. I did use standard grip glue for the left grip. Just a small amount (5mm band) on the inside of the grip and slide it home. A little goes a long way. You end up wiping most of it away at the tip.

I did watch the video on Youtube, but mostly followed the instructions from Yamaha in the package. Definitely take the time to organize/label/store all of the fasteners. There are a lot! Also, be careful to route/zip-tie the wires correctly. Leave a bit of slack for adjustment and test lock to lock on the steering.

I would say this is a 7/10 on the difficulty scale. Not going to be easy for someone that has no/limited tools and lacking mechanical skills.

No road test yet, but the menu is showing up and I can set the levels for all 3 settings on the grips. I will play with the level settings on my next ride.

Just finished the install last night of the OEM Yamaha heated grips. Pretty straight forward install. Had to buy the 12mm hex socket in 1/2 from Amazon. Could not find it locally. The inner handlebar nut on the throttle side was VERY difficult to remove. I ended up heating it up to break the bond. Used a small butane torch (on the bar, not the nut). It was "red loc-tight" tight. Heat worked great. Had to remove everything off the right handlebar that I could remove. Left side was not difficult at all. I did use standard grip glue for the left grip. Just a small amount (5mm band) on the inside of the grip and slide it home. A little goes a long way. You end up wiping most of it away at the tip. 
I did watch the video on Youtube, but mostly followed the instructions from Yamaha in the package. Definitely take the time to organize/label/store all of the fasteners. There are a lot! Also, be careful to route/zip-tie the wires correctly. Leave a bit of slack for adjustment and test lock to lock on the steering.

I would say this is a 7/10 on the difficulty scale. Not going to be easy for someone that has no/limited tools and lacking mechanical skills.

No road test yet, but the menu is showing up and I can set the levels for all 3 settings on the grips. I will play with the level settings on my next ride.

Please follow up on your install and the results. I live in Oregon and am very curious as to your experience with the grips in "our" weather. Thanks! 

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

I'm going to have to disagree. The installation is very easy. The youtube video and the forum helps a lot. The hardest part of the install is figuring out which way to loop the wires on the throttle side.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
I'm going to have to disagree. The installation is very easy. The youtube video and the forum helps a lot. The hardest part of the install is figuring out which way to loop the wires on the throttle side.
Same here.  Getting the wire looped correctly in the throttle housing was the only sticking point for me. The video and included instructions are very easy to follow. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Got to ride today in 50 degrees and heated grips were so nice to have. Made the ride much more enjoyable. The grips do get incredibly hot if you want them to be extra toasty. I ended up with low=1, mid=3, and hi=6. They were pretty even temps on each side. Throttle side was a bit warmer, but only noticed if I let them get super hot. On lower settings, it is almost undetectable. Best mod yet on the bike. Highly recommended for folks that ride in colder locales.

Got to ride today in 50 degrees and heated grips were so nice to have. Made the ride much more enjoyable. The grips do get incredibly hot if you want them to be extra toasty. I ended up with low=1, mid=3, and hi=6. They were pretty even temps on each side. Throttle side was a bit warmer, but only noticed if I let them get super hot. On lower settings, it is almost undetectable. Best mod yet on the bike. Highly recommended for folks that ride in colder locales.
Was that with an insulator on the left side of the bar or without? 

Archived