Heated Grips

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I have noticed that the right grip is hotter than the left. It kinda sucks a little bit. Presumably the plastic throttle tube insulates the element from the heat sinking handlebars. I wonder if a resister could be spliced in line to equalize? Or?
Pistons or pedals, 2 wheels are where it's at...

• Premium Member
I have noticed that the right grip is hotter than the left. It kinda sucks a little bit. Presumably the plastic throttle tube insulates the element from the heat sinking handlebars. I wonder if a resister could be spliced in line to equalize? Or?
The situation is also exacerbated by how cold it is outside. I don't find mine to be too different down to 60 degrees F (yes I will run them at that temp), but when colder you notice it. I think it has to do with cold soak of the handlebars and the insulation of the throttle tube (as others have repeatedly mentioned). I also find it evens out after they have been on for a while. Not sure if others have noticed this, but I have. A heavy grasp on the bars will also impact this. When I use a light grasp, I notice it less then when I have a death grip (I don't do this much). YMMV 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
The situation is also exacerbated by how cold it is outside. I don't find mine to be too different down to 60 degrees F (yes I will run them at that temp), but when colder you notice it. I think it has to do with cold soak of the handlebars and the insulation of the throttle tube (as others have repeatedly mentioned). I also find it evens out after they have been on for a while. Not sure if others have noticed this, but I have. A heavy grasp on the bars will also impact this. When I use a light grasp, I notice it less then when I have a death grip (I don't do this much). YMMV
pretty much matches my experience - I turned them on today once on top of the Cotswold Hills as I had thin, summer gloves on. In winter, I will have Tucano muffs fitted and do not envision a problem apart from getting a bit too toasty :)
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I have noticed that the right grip is hotter than the left. It kinda sucks a little bit. Presumably the plastic throttle tube insulates the element from the heat sinking handlebars.
I think this is true of all heated grips, for the exact reason you mentioned. My BMW was this way as well.

I also have installed yamaha heated grips, and i get the feeling that now is a litle bit harder to control the trotel grip position because i have to pull harder to just turn a lite bit of the trotle. This is more noticable when 1st rotation from zero position .

The vendor said it's normal to feel a slight resistance because it has an aditional cable (electric) inside. Does anyone feel this or you can control with the same easiness like without heated grips?

I also have installed yamaha heated grips, and i get the feeling that now is a litle bit harder to control the trotel grip position because i have to pull harder to just turn a lite bit of the trotle. This is more noticable when 1st rotation from zero position . 
The vendor said it's normal to feel a slight resistance because it has an aditional cable (electric) inside. Does anyone feel this or you can control with the same easiness like without heated grips?
I found no difference even though I was expecting a difference.  The large majority of the resistance comes from the throttle cables.  The power cable for the heat should be in a spring coil that provides very little resistance.  I would question if it were installed correctly.  I installed mine myself.  I am not a mechanic by any means, I just followed instructions.  There's some pretty good pictures on the forum of the installation process that really helps to understand how to coil the cable correctly.  If I were you, I'd just take it apart and see for yourself if it's coiled correctly. 

I can't say about any difference on the Tracer/FJ as mine were fitted prior to delivery, so the feel is 'normal' for me. There is, as previously mentioned, lateral movement and it did get a bit of getting used to the throttle opening - or more the case of keeping it stable when going over bumps. Previous bikes have had after market heated grips and I did not notice any difference ( did have the power cable a little tight when fitting on one and that did have an effect, but was sorted before I the test ride).

I've done that and it looks like everything was fine, i also took the chance to oil the cable also. It definitely has a difference, because when i leave may bike at the vendor for the 10k service, they borrow me their test drive Tracer and i immediately noticed the difference .

• Premium Member
I am using the Oxford premium touring heated grips, work great! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Products-OF691-Heated-Grips/dp/B009T4J4Y6

Also added black Wilson overgrips for tennis racquets on each grip to make them a little softer and bigger. A great combo IMO.

I had that system on my previous KLR. Worked great! 

• Premium Member
Does anyone feel this or you can control with the same easiness like without heated grips?
No difference for me. I rode 3500 miles before installing the heated grips. After the install the throttle effort feels exactly the same. It sounds like there's something wrong with your installation.

Archived