• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 34 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Questions

I get speed wobbles/head shakes on freeways over 60mph. Has anyone else encountered this? If so, was it the stock tires, handguards, something else?

Is there a way to adjust the levers so that they are closer to the grips or do I need to spend money on new levers? My clutch lever rests against the handguard.

Does anyone have a recommended suspension setup video?

Thanks,

James

1 hour ago, jamespz03 said:

I get speed wobbles/head shakes on freeways over 60mph. Has anyone else encountered this? If so, was it the stock tires, handguards, something else?

What year is your Tracer? How many miles on it? When was the last wheel balance? Have you ever had head bearings adjusted? There are potentially a lot of reasons, depending on your answers. 

OEM front tire does this, and improper sag set for suspension.......mine was just like the OP until I set my sag, keep tires 38F/40R, and replaced the awful windscreen with an MRA sport touring shield. All my previous unstableness is gone, but I still feel a hop/wobble at times from the front tire. Your clutch lever hitting your guard isn't right, sounds like the guard has shifted out of place, and make sure your clutch lever free play is within spec.

• Thumbsup 1

You can move the lever  up or down by loosening the bolts at the mirror base thingy and rotating it on the handlebar.  It may not help, just thought I'd throw that out there.....I found the clutch and front brake levers too high for my liking. 

15 hours ago, jamespz03 said:

Hey warchild, it's a 2020 with 600 miles, first service was just done.

My 2020 GT never did this.  Short version of a long story is I set out on a long trip last August and got to Nebraska and bike broke down.  Took 6 days getting bike fixed and then rode it to Sioux Falls SD and traded for a 2020 Tracer GT.  Literally rode into the dealership did the paperwork, moved sidecase contents and 58 liter duffle bag over to Tracer GT.  I hopped on and rode 110 mile to where I was staying.  3 days later was back with 629 miles for fits service then rode 1,400 miles home and hit 80+ mph.  Some interstates have 80MPH speed limits.  I was running with stock settings.  I set the preload before setting out but forgot to check tire pressures and they turned out to be set to the lower factory setting - rider only weight.  Set the tire pressure's to 36/42 and rode home.  Never had a problem with stability at speed.  I have to wonder about the OEM tires, maybe I got a good one.

Once I got home and had a chance to play with the bike a bit I really didn't like the feel of the front in cornering.  So (somewhat in order) I dropped triples 7mm, adjusted preload, tweaked settings and changed tires to Michelin Pilot Power 5 front and Road 5 rear.  Somewhere in there I added a MRA windscreen with an Amazon spoiler.  My bike is very steady at speed but is is sensitive to bar input.  First thing I noticed about the bike is the turbulence off of the OEM windscreen.  Seemed like it was a pulsating beat to my shoulders that alternated from one side to the other.  Really like how my bike is set up - handles well (for OEM suspension) and I can do long rides comfortably.  On a recent 5 day trip I rode the last leg of 560 miles with only 3 stops!  I have never done that before.

I have to wonder what difference between your bike and mine would lead to you having stability issues.  My bike was very well assembled and I have had no problems with loose of bad stuff.  It is frustrating to know a great dealer but be too far to take it there for service.  Hummm well maybe I should schedule a valve adjustment service and make a trip out of it.

Edited by PhotoAl

• Supporting Member
20 minutes ago, PhotoAl said:

Hummm well maybe I should schedule a valve adjustment service and make a trip out of it.

Lol, I like the way you think, I did the same thing for a concert a few years ago.  To justify riding 1,000 miles one way for the concert, I turned it into a 5-day road trip.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
Just now, Waldo Jeffers said:

@betoney without saying who you saw, where did you drive, 1000 miles to see them in concert?

I rode to Santa Cruz, Ca. for the concert. 

I planned a route through a lot of areas I had never ridden before including Lake Berryessa, Napa, a morning ride up the coast to Half Moon Bay and breakfast at Alice's Restaurant, San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge.  It was one of the more memorable trips I have ever taken.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

So the tire pressure is definitely low. I'm 30F/36R. I believe I should be at 36F/42R. What do you run your tires at? I'm 220lbs.

Edited by jamespz03