Nelson-Rigg tail bags

• 1 year later...

I’ve got a 1060-ST2. I bought it 3 months ago. I don’t use it at all for local riding because it kind of gets in the way of my mount and dismount of the bike (gettin’ on and gettin’ off). Plus I don’t need the storage around town, the panniers are way sufficient. I use this bag on a longer ride where I need the additional storage.

The bag is China made. The first one Cycle Gear sent me had a defective main zipper. Cycle Gear was good about handling the return. The replacement 1060 has been perfect. It’s a good high quality build but, because of the cheap zipper on the first one they sent me, I am paying attention to the new one. A zipper failure would be annoying out on the road.

My only complaint, which I also have mentioned to Nelson Rigg via email and to Cycle Gear by phone during ordering and replacement, is that they are China made. These should be made in a western country IMO. 

3 hours ago, KrustyKush said:

My only complaint, which I also have mentioned to Nelson Rigg via email and to Cycle Gear by phone during ordering and replacement, is that they are China made. These should be made in a western country IMO. 

There is a very good reason for that and it most assuredly has nothing to do with a Chinese decision to move it there. That decison was probably made my Nelson-Rigg USA.

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

3 hours ago, Grumpy Goat said:

There is a very good reason for that and it most assuredly has nothing to do with a Chinese decision to move it there. That decison was probably made my Nelson-Rigg USA.

Very true, and why I didn't bother to complain to China about it.

Not complaining, really.  It's a great product and a great company.  And Cycle Gear has really upped their online game.  I've ordered a few things lately from CG and the service has been terrific.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I have the commuter lite on my VFR1200F. Pretty happy with it. Seems well made and durable. Soft bags take a beating here in SOFLA. So time will tell.

20220630_195338.jpg

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

5 hours ago, KrustyKush said:

Very true, and why I didn't bother to complain to China about it.

Not complaining, really.  It's a great product and a great company.  And Cycle Gear has really upped their online game.  I've ordered a few things lately from CG and the service has been terrific.  

I get stuff from where I get good value; some of it is expensive and some of it is cheap and they are sourced all over the world. Us motorcyclists have to pay through the noses as it is simply because some vendors see motorcycling as a luxury or leisure activity and jack up proces because they can and because riders will pay.

But to get this back on topic, Nelson-Rigg makes some good kit but used to be that they were more tailored to the cruiser market and that causes me to automatically pass. When it comes to luggage (and other stuff, actually) I tend to give SW Motech first look.

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

I have the Nelson Rigg tail bag on my Tracer.  It is easy to use and works very well.  It fits nicely on the pillion seat and holds a lot of gear.  I keep it on the bike at all times and add the hard cases when I am going to be gone for a few days.  The materials are of good quality and mine even survived a nasty crash and never came off the bike.  My only complaint, and it is a minor one, is that the inner pocket in the lid could be more robust. 

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.