6th gear whine

I am not one to post simply to complain about stuff but.....does anyone else find the 6th gear whine to be a rather unpleasant sound?  I don't mind a nice whine but THIS whine is just pretty gnarly/nasty sounding.  No?

• Supporting Member
23 minutes ago, Skidood said:

I am not one to post simply to complain about stuff but.....does anyone else find the 6th gear whine to be a rather unpleasant sound?  I don't mind a nice whine but THIS whine is just pretty gnarly/nasty sounding.  No?

This has been mentioned by many owners in the past but I have never heard it, not once.  My buddy also has a 2015 and I haven't heard it on his bike either. 🤷‍♀️

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Its been discussed at length.  The consensus is that the whine is a result of straight cut gears in the transmission.

Definitely louder at certain speeds. Mine has either gotten quieter or I've gotten used to it because I don't notice it very often anymore.

Also check your chain slack and make sure its not too tight (recommended spec from yamaha is way to tight IMO).

...and lastly, kick it down to 5th if it gets too loud for you or your holding a speed where it gets annoying.

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

6 minutes ago, duhs10 said:

The consensus is that the whine is a result of straight cut gears in the transmission.

No, every motorcycle transmission has straight cut gears.

• Thumbsup 1

34 minutes ago, kilo3 said:

Did not know that

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Hmm...bike has 1200 km on it...hope it settles down...wonder if using a full synthetic oil would help.  Also, chain slack was zero when I brought it home from the dealer.  Unfortunately I rode it like that for about 100 km before realizing it didn't match what is stated in the manual.

2 minutes ago, Skidood said:

Hmm...bike has 1200 km on it...hope it settles down...wonder if using a full synthetic oil would help.  Also, chain slack was zero when I brought it home from the dealer.  Unfortunately I rode it like that for about 100 km before realizing it didn't match what is stated in the manual.

The manual (atleast on the early models) is too tight as well.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

it is often reported to be louder in 3rd and 6th gear but I don't have that on my 2019 GT. I can hear the whine (like the reverse gear of a car) on all gears but it is not overly loud. On some days more than others though...

It is my opinion that there is probably a big spectrum of how this sound manifests itself, but people often think that it's the same as on their bike.

I have read reports of it being really annoying in 6th gear and people have sold their bikes because of it. I don't want to discourage you but I have never seen a solution and recently wrote a post about this which has a nice video explaining the triple whine in detail.

Edited by petshark
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, Skidood said:

I don't mind a nice whine but THIS whine is just pretty gnarly/nasty sounding.  No?

Ok, someones gotta say it.... you don't have the Missus or girlfriend on the back do you? 🤣

• Thumbsup 3
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, kilo3 said:

Thats just wrong, There have been quite a few bikes with helical cut gears., Example being newer FJR1300. BMW also has a few.