I need a new windscreen on my 2021 Tracer 9 GT

26 minutes ago, MotoMario said:

I have been screwing around with windshields, fairings etc for 50 years. Vetter, Pacifico, Rifle, National Cycle, Slipstreamer, Puig and others I can't remember across the US, Canada,Western and Eastern Europe.  On my tracer I tried the stock with MRA deflector, V Stream sport touring, V stream with MRA, Puig and they all either beat me or my ears up (at this age I can't afford to do that).  Part of the problem I think is the factory mounting hardware.  Once buffeting starts it sets up a harmonic motion that's like the old motels with the vibrating bed (sorry you younger guys missed this exotic era).  So after screwing around since I had a trip coming up to east coast and outer banks, I broke down and bought a MadStad system.  NOTHING AND I MEAN NOTHING compares to this set up.  No ear plugs, no vibration, no buffeting and when I got stuck for a 100 miles or so of good rain I could watch the rain drops fly over my head.  I wear a Shark Evo One helmet which is noisy but I can and did ride with the chin bar pulled back (only one certified to do so).  Best 300 bucks I have ever spent on a motorcycle.

What size did you get? They offer 20-26 (I'm assuming inches?)

Do your hand guards hit the windshield when at full turn? Just curious as there are no cutouts on the sides like on the stock screen and other aftermarket options. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 6/25/2021 at 6:17 PM, roadrash83 said:

Kind of sad that Yamaha could not get it right, sure thought on a complete redesigns they would fixed it.  

I finally figured out what the OEM screen on my FJ reminded me of:  The spork.   Proof that too much design compromise is a lose-lose proposition.  

84E2C674-C760-448B-82B8-6E3172DC0253.thumb.jpeg.816154748deca244b50612cba5486240.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/2/2021 at 2:30 PM, jthayer09 said:

Would anyone here be willing to measure their 2020 900 GT windscreen mounting points just to double-check before I go making a $200 purchase? 😋

For my 21 T9GT I got the following (eyeballed due to curve of windscreen):
Horizonal distance Between top bolts: 205mm

Vertical distance between top to bottom bolt: 125mm

Horizontal distance between bottom bolts: 145mm

Thanks in advance!

It will fit.

Depending on what screen you got to, you may have issues with the new hand guards hitting the screen at full turn. The new hand guards are larger than those on the previous GT models.

Rob 

• Supporting Member
On 7/6/2021 at 10:30 AM, rlambke19 said:

It will fit.

Depending on what screen you got to, you may have issues with the new hand guards hitting the screen at full turn. The new hand guards are larger than those on the previous GT models.

Rob 

I fit the PUIG touring windscreen for the '18-20 900 GT models on my T9GT today; the handguards hit at full lock when its at the uppermost position, but just barely. Could just shave like 5mm off the sides with a Dremel and it'd be ok. Did a quick 40mi loop and I think I prefer stock + eBay spoiler so I'll be returning the PUIG. The PUIG is more effective at diverting wind away and makes the entire ride more quiet but I seem to get a concentrated wind blast right on my forehead, I think it's the "v" shape of the top edge of the screen. It's a shame because the PUIG on my '15 FJ09 was perfect and the company has great service.

The eBay spoiler has got to be the best money I've ever spent on a motorcycle, it's wonderfully effective and I've just carried it over from bike to bike.

• Thumbsup 2

• 3 weeks later...

Yamaha makes a touring windscreen for the Tracer 9 GT. You order it at yamahamotorsports.com or through an authorized dealer. If you order it online, it has to be delivered to an authorized Yamaha "e-commerce" dealer. 

Designed for the Tracer 900 but fits the 2021 Tracer 9 GT as well. I ordered one. 

Go for the MRA touring with the spoiler and it will sort your problem.

I tried a few screens and settled on this one, the madstad also sounds good and has the advantage of being able to easily mount a GPS off it, however it is expensive.

On 7/6/2021 at 9:30 AM, rlambke19 said:

It will fit.

Rob 

I put some rubber washers on the mounting screws, pushed the screen forward slightly and eliminated hand guard contact.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 7/29/2021 at 1:43 PM, OkieYank said:

Yamaha makes a touring windscreen for the Tracer 9 GT. You order it at yamahamotorsports.com or through an authorized dealer. If you order it online, it has to be delivered to an authorized Yamaha "e-commerce" dealer. 

Designed for the Tracer 900 but fits the 2021 Tracer 9 GT as well. I ordered one. 

The OEM touring windscreen for the 900 and the 9 GT are different part #s and have different measurements, probably to accommodate the different handguards. Not a big difference, but the decreased width of the Tracer 9 part is probably so the handguards clear at full steering lock. Calling in and ordering it from the dealer saved me some money over buying online; $176 and some change after tax. I will post my impressions once received.

image.png.51516bae4ee5b0b87e938114f4c83f3d.png

• Thumbsup 2

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member

Sorry for disappearing. Started a new position and have been traveling for work so haven't had a chance to get much time with the Yamaha touring windscreen until recently.

In my opinion it's a straight up winter/cold season windscreen only. The widest part of the windscreen by a large margin is the middle as it spans outward, and the bottom is roughly 2-3x wider than stock. It lines up with the handguards well and zero air hits me. I was wearing a mesh jacket and was roasting in 80F even at highway speeds. Definitely will be on my bike from November to March, otherwise stock + $20 eBay spoiler is still king.

• Thumbsup 2

On 7/5/2021 at 6:49 PM, rlambke19 said:

What size did you get? They offer 20-26 (I'm assuming inches?)

Do your hand guards hit the windshield when at full turn? Just curious as there are no cutouts on the sides like on the stock screen and other aftermarket options. 

I have a Madstad on mine and at the angle I need the windshield for it to work, my handguards baaaarely touch the screen at full lock.  I haven't done a thing about it and its not worth doing anything about it quite honestly.  Ride on!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2021 at 2:27 PM, jthayer09 said:

... haven't had a chance to get much time with the Yamaha touring windscreen until recently.

In my opinion it's a straight up winter/cold season windscreen only.

Just to clarify, this is the screen for your T9GT, and not 900GT-correct?

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/18/2021 at 12:31 PM, TomTracer said:

MadStad is excellent, on my 2nd, last was on a different bike. Pricey, but works great. 

I am a huge fan of the MadStad.  I just put one on my 790 ADV and it was a large improvement

• Thumbsup 2