I need a new windscreen on my 2021 Tracer 9 GT

3 hours ago, rlambke19 said:

I see from your signature that you also have a 1200RS. I almost bought one but the characteristics of the boxer engine weren't what I was looking for. Ended up with my first Tracer (2019 GT) and am now on my second (2021 T9 GT).

How do you like the RS and when do you ride it over the Tracer?

Cheers

Rob

Ontario

Heheheh ... I do like my Tracer, don't get me wrong, but there is no comparison. The Tracer was bought to save the accumulation of miles on the RS which, of the two bikes, is the keeper. The RS has 56+k miles on it and I have no plans to get rid of it, whereas I would not advise the Tracer to piss me off too much. 😉

So as a commuter who actually uses the bike for transportation (in addition to occasional long distance touring), I now mostly ride the Tracer. If I feel like going for a ride on the weekend I might take the Tracer but it is more often the RS to give it some "exercise". Often, after getting off the RS, I find myself saying "what a bike!". Never said that yet about the Tracer although I do enjoy riding it also.

As for the characteristics of the boxer engine ... it takes a little time to get to know / appreciate it, and I am not sure if you have even ridden one for any length of time. Even the sound takes some getting used to, but when you do you can pick it out going down the road. When I bought my RS I was not at all familiar with that model or even with the boxer engine. I asked to test ride it just after having made the heart-breaking decision not to get the BMW S1000XR (due to my disappointment with the vibration and rev count at cruising speed for long distance riding). After that 2 hour test ride I liked it enough to decide to buy this "weird looking" sport bike (laughed a lot during the test ride too ... bloody bike had character!). Got it home and started wondering what the heck did I just do? I still did not love the bike then although I did not know why. Fast forward to a few months later, after returning from first long distance trip, I was fully in love with the bike.

Since this is a Tracer forum I won't go into the details of that but suffice it to say that the Tracer is also a very capable do-everything bike. Good commuter, good for long distance (when properly fixed), and handles well enough for the twisties. They both can handle a pillion rider well and both handle my camping gear (edge going to the Tracer). I am happy with both my bikes and the Tracer 900 GT is secure for the moment ... at least until Yamaha fixes the fugly dash, the fugly pillion cases, and the curved seat of the Tracer 9 GT. Nothing personal guys ... beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

Thanks @Grumpy Goat

I only asked as I have always thought the RS was the sharpest looking ST bike out there. I rode one for about 35 minutes and I think I am just used to higher-revving bikes. At the time I was riding a Ninja 1000SX and riding the boxer was weird as it wants to upshift at such lower RPMs than I am used to. I am pretty much addicted to the triple right now after so many years of ignorance. "It can't be as good as 4 inline as it's got one less cylinder" - what  i dumbass I was. 😉

Cheers

Rob  

1 hour ago, rlambke19 said:

Thanks @Grumpy Goat

I am pretty much addicted to the triple right now after so many years of ignorance. "It can't be as good as 4 inline as it's got one less cylinder" - what  i dumbass I was. 😉

This CP3 triple is one of if not the best feature of this bike. The big boxer in the RS is a torque monster and even though it is geared lower than the Tracer it is the faster bike. It will cruise all day -- fully loaded -- at 80  mph and not break a sweat or have any issues, and deliver 44 mpg while doing it.

Speaking of inline 4s ... I did have / enjoy an S1000R for a year but as much as I like inline 4s, it was always itching to go fast. Everywhere. No ride was relaxing as it was always trying to kill me or get me a ticket. 😁 Very comfortable bike though, surprisingly. Traded that for the Tracer, which for me is a better fit.

• Thumbsup 1

13 hours ago, Grumpy Goat said:

Speaking of inline 4s ... I did have / enjoy an S1000R for a year but as much as I like inline 4s, it was always itching to go fast. Everywhere. No ride was relaxing as it was always trying to kill me or get me a ticket. 😁 Very comfortable bike though, surprisingly. Traded that for the Tracer, which for me is a better fit.

I had a ZX-12R that was always trying to kill me or get me a ticket. Frightening amount of power. So I sold it and bought a ZX-14. Lol

Sorry to the OP for hi-jacking the thread!

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did order the MadStad  26 / clear windscreen for my Tracer 9 GT 21, after reading some reviews. 

This was the last option for me, if this screen did not do the job (stopping the buffering) my last option was to sell my 9 GT. 

I did try 4 other options from Puig, the Yamaha Touring, MRA you name it i try them...... but non of them did stop the buffering on my helmet, so my last hope was  MadStad.

Afther ordering and paying the massive VAT and shipping to Europe the screen did cost me more then 500$

But afther my first drive today, i must say it is the best screen ever, the other screens can not even get close to this MadStad screen. NO buffering at all Nothing, its like i am driving on my Honda Pan European ST1300 PERFECT. 

I am 189 tall and because the screen is fully adjustable you can put it like you want and have the best wind protection you need.

PXL_20220205_125825356.jpg

PXL_20220205_125754970.jpg

Edited by Antonio
  • Thumbsup 3

5 hours ago, Antonio said:

I did order the MadStad  26 / clear windscreen for my Tracer 9 GT 21, after reading some reviews. 

... afther my first drive today, i must say it is the best screen ever, the other screens can not even get close to this MadStad screen. NO buffering at all Nothing, its like i am driving on my Honda Pan European ST1300 PERFECT. 

I am 189 tall and because the screen is fully adjustable you can put it like you want and have the best wind protection you need.

Glad to hear that you found a screen that allows you to keep the bike. :)

Are you having to look through the screen? That is a tall screen but it looks like you are pretty tall as well at 6'-2" and the top edge may be just close to your line of sight ...?

• Thumbsup 1

8 hours ago, Grumpy Goat said:

Glad to hear that you found a screen that allows you to keep the bike. :)

Are you having to look through the screen? That is a tall screen but it looks like you are pretty tall as well at 6'-2" and the top edge may be just close to your line of sight ...?

Hi GG,

If i put the seat to its lower setting and the screen to the top, my line of sight / head is below the top of the screen, for me this is perfect because the screen is so clear you can see right true it. 

if i put the seat to its highest option then my line of sight is just below the top of the screen, stil no buffering.
I can lower the screen also by i think 8 or 10 cm or adjust the angel of the screen. 

The screen that did get close to this one is the Yamaha touring screen + the Givi vario spoiler extention on top.
But the down side is you have to puth you screen to its highest position, and the yamaha hardware to adjust the hight of the screen is not build for this kind of large touring screens and it starts wobelling (vibrating)  if you drive 100 KM/h or faster this will cause again the wind to buffer on you. And you have the Givi extention directly in you line of sight. 

• Thumbsup 1

I received and installed my Madstad screen a couple of weeks ago. Right now in Upstate New York it is 25 degrees F. I can't wait to try this new screen in the Spring ! I really hope it works. I'll let you all know in April 22.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/25/2021 at 9:33 AM, bikelee said:

Just got my new GT and the windscreen SUCKS.The buufeting and noise is really bad. I'm glad i wear earplugs !!   Any suggestions for a replacement screen ??  Thanks !!

I just installed a Madstad 24" on my Tracer 9 GT and couldn't be happier.  It totally transforms the bike.  I'm not quite 6'1" and went by Madstads height chart.  I may decide to try a 26".  I had a 26" Parabellum on my FJ09 and it was perfect.  I'm just curious if the 26" Madstad can be any better.  I HIGHLY recommend this windscreen for our bike.  The quality of their product is excellent.  I even got a tour of their facility.

• Thumbsup 1
Brad
Selbyville, DE

On 1/25/2022 at 9:20 AM, rlambke19 said:

I see from your signature that you also have a 1200RS. I almost bought one but the characteristics of the boxer engine weren't what I was looking for. Ended up with my first Tracer (2019 GT) and am now on my second (2021 T9 GT).

How do you like the RS and when do you ride it over the Tracer?

Cheers

Rob

Ontario

I was on the fence about trading in my 2019 900 GT for a 2021 9 GT when they came out. So many upgrades. It didn't make sense financially at the time so I didn't.

Just totaled the 2019 a few weeks ago so looking for a 2022.

What's it like going from the 2019 to the 2021?

1 minute ago, Bimbim18 said:

I was on the fence about trading in my 2019 900 GT for a 2021 9 GT when they came out. So many upgrades. It didn't make sense financially at the time so I didn't.

What's it like going from the 2019 to the 2021?

First off - sorry to hear about your accident. I can relate as my 2019 GT was also written off by a street racer cutting me off. 

The differences are subtle, yet really excellent. The bike is smoother and more refined all around. The semi-active suspension works well for me. The stock exhaust sounds great. It's the first bike in a long time that I don't feel the slightest bit compelled to look at an aftermarket exhaust. The panniers are a big step up as they actually hold a reasonable amount of stuff as opposed to the old city cases on the 2019.

You will really enjoy it - it's like your 2019 - just better in almost every way!

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
8 minutes ago, Bimbim18 said:

Damn, I hope you are doing ok, how did this happen?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

13 minutes ago, betoney said:

Damn, I hope you are doing ok, how did this happen?

Other than a spanking new titanium wrist I'm ok.

2 lanes of traffic. Left lane was backed up (about 20 vehicles waiting to make a left), right lane fully clear (I was in the right lane). Lady coming in the opposite direction made a left between the stopped cars and just pulled on through without looking to see if the other lane was clear and I T-boned her.

Could've been much worse, I'm happy to have just a broken wrist. Crappy part is now I'm forced to:

1. Drive a cage until I heal. (My tracer was my daily driver)

2. Try to find a tracer in stock after I heal (last night the nearest one to me was 130 miles away)

Edited by Bimbim18
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, rlambke19 said:

First off - sorry to hear about your accident. I can relate as my 2019 GT was also written off by a street racer cutting me off. 

The differences are subtle, yet really excellent. The bike is smoother and more refined all around. The semi-active suspension works well for me. The stock exhaust sounds great. It's the first bike in a long time that I don't feel the slightest bit compelled to look at an aftermarket exhaust. The panniers are a big step up as they actually hold a reasonable amount of stuff as opposed to the old city cases on the 2019.

You will really enjoy it - it's like your 2019 - just better in almost every way!

Now I'm even more anxious to get one lol.

That following weekend I was actually going to pull the ECU to get it flashed to smooth out the throttle and have been trying back and forth about the exhaust. I mean the stock exhaust was ok, but I've heard it with an Akropovich and graves, sounds amazing, but it was hard to justify the price tag.

I'll be really happy if my helmet fits in the saddlebags (I have a cardo hanging off the side), it does get tiring carrying it around.