I need a new windscreen on my 2021 Tracer 9 GT

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Windshields for Tracer 9GT-

1. Cal-Sci- As I explained in a previous post, I had high hopes for this one- my first- due to the hole in the screen to allow airflow and possible less buffeting.  It was not to be and in traffic considerably worse. Returned

2. Yamaha touring screen- better than stock but again at speed the turbulence and buffeting remained. Returned

3. National Cycle V stream- not specifically for the 9GT- made for the 900, but fits perfect, however no matter the height, the buffeting and turbulence was unrelenting. Returned

4. Madstad- my current test. They just came out with this one for the 9GT.  Expensive and the reason is they supply a whole new bracket system and height adjustment knobs.  Very well made.  You have to remove the current windshield bracket, 3 screws, be careful, I stripped the last one because the metal is so soft and had to cut it.  No biggie as you do not need them to put on the Madstad bracket.  The instructions are clear, however there is no parts diagram, so figuring out the differing sets of screws was a challenge.  Blair at Mastad was a great help and made sure I was confident with installation.  Multiple adjustments, height wise and angle.  I started with straight up in the lowest position.  Still some buffeting body wise but my head was clear.  Im going to try different heights and angles to try and get my favorite position.  Word of caution- you must stop the bike to make any adjustments, you cannot adjust on the fly.

• Thumbsup 1

Thanks for the good comparison with the screens.  Nice to see the differences you experienced between them.

Had a Madstad on my BMW F800GT and it was nice - maybe too nice as in the summer would have liked a bit more flow to my chin vent but rain and cooler weather was a nice screen to be behind.  Yes needed to be stopped to adjust.

Have no experience with the T9GT but did have good results with a wing on top of my MRA Touring, seemed to be a good fix for windscreens that are close but need a little more smoothing to the airflow around the head.  

The buffeting on the shoulders with the Tracer 900 GT stock screen was tough - noticed it right off.  It was 2,400 miles till I got home including a 500 mile day.  Continual buffeting around my shoulders was tiring and the last day was supposed to be 560 miles but broke it into 2 days.  

5'9" and I went with ERmax High, for colder weather, from MotoMachines. Much better than stock. 

About $130. They are not listed on their website, you have to call them. 703-372-7241

Went with a Puig shorty in dark smoke for summer.  About $90, Amazon.

ERmax shield 2 med.jpg

ERmax shield.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2021 at 7:21 PM, MotoMario said:

I have been screwing around with windshields, fairings etc for 50 years. Vetter, Pacifico, Rifle, National Cycle, Slipstreamer, Puig and others I can't remember across the US, Canada,Western and Eastern Europe.  On my tracer I tried the stock with MRA deflector, V Stream sport touring, V stream with MRA, Puig and they all either beat me or my ears up (at this age I can't afford to do that).  Part of the problem I think is the factory mounting hardware.  Once buffeting starts it sets up a harmonic motion that's like the old motels with the vibrating bed (sorry you younger guys missed this exotic era).  So after screwing around since I had a trip coming up to east coast and outer banks, I broke down and bought a MadStad system.  NOTHING AND I MEAN NOTHING compares to this set up.  No ear plugs, no vibration, no buffeting and when I got stuck for a 100 miles or so of good rain I could watch the rain drops fly over my head.  I wear a Shark Evo One helmet which is noisy but I can and did ride with the chin bar pulled back (only one certified to do so).  Best 300 bucks I have ever spent on a motorcycle.

IMG_1415.jpg

That's not even that tall of a screen!  There's a few that are so tall that I think I'd actually be looking through them than above them.  This one looks decent.  How tall are you?  And are you looking completely over it?

This whole windscreen thing keeps going on over and over and over.  I wish someone would develop an ADV bike or upright bike like the Tracer with a bulbous fairing up front with an integrated screen (wrapped by the fairing) so that it doesn't oscillate all of the time.  Pretty sure that's better than bolting anything up at the bottom with four bolts.  

Think: Tracer GT with FJR fairing up front (but smaller obviously!)

Edited by Jayzonk

I've changed the stock one for the Yamaha Touring screen. Massive improvement for me personally. I'm 6ft 2" and even in the low position the buffeting has all but gone. But it shouldn't have to be replaced as the stock one shud work! 

Quick question for Tracer owners. This bike is definitely the top contender for my next steed, but I come from the world of naked bikes and am very sensitive to annoying wind noise courtesy of bad wind screens. 

I was wondering, how high do you think turbulent wind will come off the bike if there is no screen at all? Or a tiny screen as high as the gauges? I ask because as long as I have the option of going full naked on this bike (leaving my helmet in 100% clean air), I won't have an issue taking a risk on wind noise. 

I'm 5'7", relatively short torso/long arms if it helps. I have a feeling that on this bike, no wind screen would leave my head in turbulent air...

I'm going to try my best to get a test ride, but that alone is hard going here in Ontario...And I doubt they'd let me test it with no screen on. 

Thanks!