Whelp... ordered a BMW

keithu

• Supporting Member

Very beefy (in a good way) looking bike!

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, kilo3 said:

I'm afraid to ask, but how much did the order set you back?

Technically nothing, since they won't take a deposit until a build date is confirmed. But after adding a top case and state license fees this should be a ~$27k USD transaction. Thankfully there's no sales tax in Oregon, so the state fees for title and four years of registration should be ~$300. I've never spent five figures on a motorcycle before, and this will blow right through that barrier. 🤑

• Thumbsup 5

I was lucky enough to ride the 1200RT for my job and yes, I agree that it is a wonderful bike. So, the updated version must be even finer! Down here in NOLA, the streets are f.....up and I curse the mayor each time I ride my FJ09. However, the 1200RT was always super smooth! We don't have them anymore as we went full on Yamaha.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, keithu said:

Thanks! Going from a Yamaha to a BMW I might need it.

Ha. Apologies, I didn’t mean it like that. Just meant I hope you enjoy her and have safe travels. I’m sure that’s a bike that will eat up the miles. 

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

Let’s go Brandon

• Supporting Member

You might find yourself reminiscing about how easy it was to remove the plastics on the FJ. 😁

Just kidding of course... congrats on a very nice machine. The thing looks eager to go. 😎

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

3 hours ago, keithu said:

After much agonizing over various options, I rode over to the BMW dealer today and ordered a 2022 R1250RT. They have a couple due to arrive in the next eight weeks, but I wanted a very specific equipment set so I ordered a fresh build from the factory. Now I have a 5-6 month wait, unless there magically happens to be another unsold triple black RT with the Select package, tubular handlebars, and high seat option already in the USA somewhere. It should look like this:

R1250RT_build.thumb.png.7a49490547fdb3bac837330a7095d2d1.png

R1250RT_build3.thumb.png.a6630c86f26ee181b873707ada684772.png

Initially I was leaning towards the S1000XR or Multistrada V4S, with the RT a distant third. Then I had chain issues during the North by Northwest Rally and decided it was time to switch back to shaft drive for a while. Some people will probably find it ironic that final drive issues drove me towards a shaft drive BMW, but so be it. I'm feeling lucky. 😎

I suppose the FJR1300 might have been a safer (and cheaper) choice, but it's even heavier than the RT and I'm not a fan of the FJR ergos. I haven't ridden an RT in quite a while, but in theory the R1250RT rider triangle is very similar to the FJ-09. I put 5700 miles on a 1997 R1100RT, so although the bike has changed quite a bit since then I am familiar with the basic format.

Time to start de-farkling the FJ. Unfortunately I don't think I can spare the garage space to keep the FJ-09, especially considering I would probably almost never ride it. ☹️

Man that is a stunning bike.   Some day when I grow up (I'm 43...) I too want to own a nice BMW like that.  Really neat bikes!

• Thumbsup 1

Good lord, it's huge!

But it looks incredibly comfortable, and great for just eating up miles.  And while they may not be Yamaha's for reliability, they make up for it with *incredible* fit and finish.  Excellent electronics and creature comforts, and none of the rough edges to cut costs you find on the FJ/Tracer.  I'm sure you'll love it!

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, Clegg78 said:

Man that is a stunning bike.   Some day when I grow up (I'm 43...) I too want to own a nice BMW like that.  Really neat bikes!

By the time I was 25 I'd already owned two BMWs. They weren't nice ones like this though. 😁

• Premium Member

You can get one with a readily swapable fatbar handlebar?

A buddy of mine has both a 2015 +/- RT and XR and loves the XR though likes the weather coverage of the RT

I had a 59 R50/2 (I think) with an Earles front end and plunger rear suspension in Dover White, and a 72 R75/2 in the only color available, black with white pinstriping.  Drum brakes and Bing carbs.  Had to plan well ahead as to when to throw out the anchor, and stink up a wood tongue depresser I kept in a metal cigar tube after tickling the carbs on the 59.

• Thumbsup 1

I owned a 2007 R1200RT for 11 years before I sold it and got my 2019 Tracer. I like the Yamaha a lot, but that Beemer was an amazing bike. Surprisingly agile for a big bike, even loaded and 2-up. Amazing weather protection and the best stock seat and windscreen I’ve ever had. The only mod I ever did on it was a GPS mount. Never had any mechanical issues with it. My wife and I travelled far and wide for many years on that fantastic bike. Life changed tho, and it was time for a bike change too. Will always miss that Beemer tho. Good purchase, I’d say!  Enjoy. 

• Thumbsup 2