rear carry rack for 2020 Tracer GT with panniers fitted - does it exist?

wordsmith

The dealer tells me that any Yamaha brand rear carry rack suitable for Tracer models does NOT fit a 2020 GT with the stock panniers/ bags also installed.   E Bay ads support this finding.   If so - madness!   

I had an excellent E-Bay rack on previous Tracers (not GT) which fitted easily with the panniers also in place.    Pix of both below - black rack is the incompatible OE Yamaha item: silver rack is an unbranded E Bay item which worked beautifully on non-GT Tracers in the past.   (Also much cheaper and lighter)

Question therefore is - can anyone suggest a suitable rack that is compatible with the 2020 Tracer GT with OE panniers fitted.

Many thanks in advance.

P1070869.JPG

P1070870.JPG

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Yes it does work - second photo.  As @sabre85 says the grab rails come off and the rack goes in their place.  To me it looks like the grab rails are extended into the rack platform so grab rails are there with the platform behind.  Works very will with the stock panniers.  I have the small Yamaha Top case on mine and it works well.

Note that Yamaha says to NOT use the top case AND the panniers.  IMO it is due to the weight carrying capacity of the bike and the light front end.  Have lots of long trip miles on mine (over 10,000 this past summer) with no problems.  Top case is mostly empty and holds rain jacket, a bottle of water and a small air compressor.  At stops helmet goes in there.  Luggage goes in the panniers and a 58 liter duffle on the rear seat.  If I stop along the way and get some drinks they go in the top case.  With the bike loaded I've done a fair number of mountain roads including Beartooth Pass, Snowy Mountain Range and others.  Don't push it to the edge of the tire but ride a nice fast pace and the bike handles well.  

EDIT:  I put a nice LED tail/brake light on the back of my top case and really like having the second brake light that is mounted higher.

Edited by PhotoAl
  • Thumbsup 3

I have run an after market “Adlo” top trunk with the stock saddlebags ….. no noted problems at all.  The trunk base plate is a Givi knockoff that came with the bike when I purchased it used.  I run an old Givi E 36 top box most of the time and no saddle bags.

3402B40C-38D6-4F56-A4DE-9549F197C890.png

Edited by whisperquiet
  • Thumbsup 2

1 hour ago, PhotoAl said:

Note that Yamaha says to NOT use the top case AND the panniers.  IMO it is due to the weight carrying capacity of the bike and the light front end.

So this past weekend I returned from a camping trip loaded up like this. Panniers and 47L top box were all full and had a 50L drybag on the pillion seat and another dry bag on top. I am about 210# with gear on. Cruised at 65 mph on the way to the campground approx 100 miles away, and cruised back at 75 mph. Rear pre-load set at 16 clicks and front at normal. No issues with instability or windage coming back ... going up it was windy and was getting blown around a little on the interstate.

To answer the OP - the Givi top box, adapter plate with rack all fit perfectly without having to remove the grab rails, except temporarily for installation. I have a video on my YT channel of that mod, if that is of interest.

IMG_1578.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

I have found an answer, which is in the SW MOTECH Adventure Rack pictured below.   I cannot help wondering why Yamaha's own info about the own rack appears to be wrong!    I had exceptional service, info, and advice from motorradgarage.com.au in Oz on this quest (they supplied the lower pic below).  Thanks for all responses here...

Adventure Rack Yamaha MT-09 Tracer-900GT 2018-2020 GPT.06.871.19000/B SW-Motech

0?ui=2&ik=5c622e6436&attid=0.2&permmsgid=msg-f:1714037557656688411&th=17c97c13cbce171b&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ98ia4KGVGGHkaUJMxbg2Q5RFg4gPFTJQm35bd42OdodsTErTl1dtrG00fiwAItM0oI4fhHsw11fn1ymsiDadGqV3gF13WtNaTIKHSBTbzOsp3SLmeFus49ndE&disp=emb

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

3 hours ago, wordsmith said:

I have found an answer, which is in the SW MOTECH Adventure Rack pictured below.   I cannot help wondering why Yamaha's own info about the own rack appears to be wrong!    I had exceptional service, info, and advice from motorradgarage.com.au in Oz on this quest (they supplied the lower pic below).  Thanks for all responses here...

I have bought many accessories from SW Motech and is my preferred manufacturer by far, but I already had the Givi topbox so I just needed another rack for the 2nd bike. Otherwise I would have gone with the SW Motech setup. That said, looking at your photo, it does not have the support arms underneath the adapter plate, which while looking cleaner robs you of a place to attach straps to. This weekend's trip of mine proved the need for that structure.

• Supporting Member

I have the Yamaha accessory rear rack and a Givi adaptor plat and top box fitted to my 2019 GT with no problems. I will say the rear rack seems to block out the tail light, at least that is what I'm told by people behind me.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

15 hours ago, Grumpy Goat said:

I have bought many accessories from SW Motech and is my preferred manufacturer by far, but I already had the Givi topbox so I just needed another rack for the 2nd bike. Otherwise I would have gone with the SW Motech setup. That said, looking at your photo, it does not have the support arms underneath the adapter plate, which while looking cleaner robs you of a place to attach straps to. This weekend's trip of mine proved the need for that structure.

I have the SWM rack, and run a Givi topcase. SWM sell adapter kits for several different manufactures. I also prefer their hardware to Givi's.

• Thumbsup 1

Yamaha seem incredibly over cautious about luggage. IIRC the top box shouldn't take more than 2kg and the panniers 3kg!!! This must be to completely rule out any comp claims for over loading? Could be why they don't recommend box with panniers?

"Did you have two or three pairs of undies in the top box?", "Three". Claim thrown out; over loaded! Ha ha.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Manxkiwi said:

Yamaha seem incredibly over cautious about luggage. IIRC the top box shouldn't take more than 2kg and the panniers 3kg!!! This must be to completely rule out any comp claims for over loading? Could be why they don't recommend box with panniers?

"Did you have two or three pairs of undies in the top box?", "Three". Claim thrown out; over loaded! Ha ha.

If I were to believe these BS recommended limits I would never buy their motorcycle in the first place. Who the heck buys a bike and limits their loads to these foolish values. Payload capacity I can understand, but how you get there is left to the owner. When they make recommendations such as these it casts doubt on other recommendations that they make about the motorcycle, e.g. fuel grade, oil grade, chain tension, etc. etc.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

It does work, and I have the rear rack for a ‘19 or ‘20 Tracer GT for sale.  I purchased it for my ‘20 gt and used it with the 50L Yamaha top case.  I went on a trip from Nashville to New Mexico and Colorado with all bags fully loaded with no problems.  Unfortunately, an Irish Setter ran out in front of me on a local ride and I totaled the bike, but the top case and rack were not damaged. I bought a ‘21 Tracer GT to replace the bike and will reuse the top case just as soon as Yamaha starts producing the new rack, as the other one doesn’t fit on the redesigned 2021 model.  I have the part number, but no one has the new rack for sale yet.  In the meantime, if anyone is interested in buying the rack for ‘19 and ‘20 models, make me a decent offer and it’s yours.  It is in perfect condition, not a scratch on it. 

• Thumbsup 1

On 10/19/2021 at 4:18 AM, PhotoAl said:

Yes it does work - second photo.  As @sabre85 says the grab rails come off and the rack goes in their place.  To me it looks like the grab rails are extended into the rack platform so grab rails are there with the platform behind.  Works very will with the stock panniers.  I have the small Yamaha Top case on mine and it works well.

Note that Yamaha says to NOT use the top case AND the panniers.  IMO it is due to the weight carrying capacity of the bike and the light front end.  Have lots of long trip miles on mine (over 10,000 this past summer) with no problems.  Top case is mostly empty and holds rain jacket, a bottle of water and a small air compressor.  At stops helmet goes in there.  Luggage goes in the panniers and a 58 liter duffle on the rear seat.  If I stop along the way and get some drinks they go in the top case.  With the bike loaded I've done a fair number of mountain roads including Beartooth Pass, Snowy Mountain Range and others.  Don't push it to the edge of the tire but ride a nice fast pace and the bike handles well.  

EDIT:  I put a nice LED tail/brake light on the back of my top case and really like having the second brake light that is mounted higher.

Could i see your lught set up please? I'm commuting more so extra lights is always good.