Turn bike on side stand

Hi All,

Not sure if this was ever mentioned, discussed, talked about....

What is your thoughts on doing this maneuver on a regular basis? Will it cause the stand to snap, or any other damage?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

AG

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I do this often.  It's a neat trick if you've never seen it.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

For me the bike is designed to be as light as possible. The side stand is made to hold up the bike, that's it. If they planned on all the spinning and getting on using the low peg to stand on they would be heavier/thicker.

It may take awhile, but something will give.

11 hours ago, aeg said:

Hi All,

Not sure if this was ever mentioned, discussed, talked about....

What is your thoughts on doing this maneuver on a regular basis? Will it cause the stand to snap, or any other damage?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

AG

Lots of people do this regularly without any problem.

However.

When my Tracer's kickstand broke, I was really kind of shocked by how thin it actually was; it's just a hollow tube.  I'm not super interested in putting odd strains on it's replacement now :)

20210305_170343.thumb.jpg.36b9ecbf0a0ae78edf8bf8478b93cade.jpg

So, yeah.  I don't.  I mean, I'd do it if I needed to for some odd reason, but it's not something I'm doing on the regular.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Why ever do this?

Moving a motorcycle in a confined space. I did it all the time to move my previous little dual sport in the garage without moving any of the cars. 

For the FJ the only time I've done this was to store it on a covered porch with a narrow 90 degree ramp before a really big storm with tornado risk. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

I do this just about every day to her since 4/2016. Many times loaded with stuff on a cross country run. No problems. It's a maneuver that makes my riding friends on larger bikes (mostly HD's) jealous. 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Let’s go Brandon

5 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Lots of people do this regularly without any problem.

However.

When my Tracer's kickstand broke, I was really kind of shocked by how thin it actually was; it's just a hollow tube.  I'm not super interested in putting odd strains on it's replacement now :)

20210305_170343.thumb.jpg.36b9ecbf0a0ae78edf8bf8478b93cade.jpg

So, yeah.  I don't.  I mean, I'd do it if I needed to for some odd reason, but it's not something I'm doing on the regular.

Uugh... Don't like the look of that! Now you've got me scared to do this. I also only do it rarely but that metal seems awfully thin to deal with all that weight and rotational forces.

• Thumbsup 1

7 hours ago, texscottyd said:

@Wintersdark - I'm trying to remember the details, but wasn't this the result of some type of incident, and not just a spontaneous failure in normal use?  

Yes, the wife backed her jeep into my Tracer. It didn't fail during regular use.  I'm just saying that the side stand is not nearly as thick and sturdy as I expected it to be; mine was surprisingly thin.  

Edit: I should say, though, that I do this without any worry with my Tenere 700.  It's got a much sturdier, longer kickstand.  However, it's still not common for me, mostly because I'm fine just backing it out of small places I rode it in to, and in my garage, I've got a centerstand dolly and a lift, both with great wheels.  

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Neither was it an answer to anything, and certainly not an insult to anyone's intelligence.  Just example of usefulness.  Merely offering up the thought that, to a new rider, it's a good trick to get your bike out of a tight spot.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 2

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

I never worried about damaging the kickstand, but it sure scratches the hell out of my garage floor or driveway. Only reason I don't do it regularly.

Steel is kind of amazing stuff. It can be very thin but yet still incredibly tough. For cylinders, the stress concentration is distributed around the outside, called a "hoop" stress. Stress only goes down as you go towards the center in a solid cylinder. Therefore, if the outer ring can withstand the stress, no reason to fill the whole thing in.

Compressor tanks and other pressure vessels are designed by a "leak before failure" criteria. Therefore, the wall thickness has to be much thicker so if a weld failed or puncture occurred, the whole thing wouldn't blow up all at once. Since the kick stand isn't a pressure vessel, it can be a whole lot thinner and still very strong with respect to the weight of the bike.

That being said, wall thickness certainly helps when dealing with non-axial loads. If you dropped the bike while doing this, in the direction where the kickstand can't just fold, it might bend or break. However, if you execute this maneuver correctly, the reaction forces will be torsion from the spin and axial from the weight of the bike and everything works just fine.

I'm writing technical reports this week... Can you tell?

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

'15 FJ09

@koth442I bought a cheap metal ashtray from Walmart to protect the floor from the kickstand. It has perfect shape with rounded edges and a flat bottom. 
My main concern is the connection between the kickstand and the frame. Will it get damaged over time?