How to deal with people who spit mowed grass on road

Isn't it illegal to shoot the grass out on the road when mowing? It should be. 

A guy down the road from my house lives in one of my favorite curves around and it's like he makes it a point to fill the lane with grass. It's dangerous to those who ride on two wheels. What should I do? 

• Supporting Member

The guy is probably clueless. If you are on talking terms with him educate him. Or send him an anonymous public announcement.

' If grass clippings do end up in the street, homeowners may be legally obligated to remove them as soon as possible'.

Grass on road

• Thumbsup 1

I think they recently passed a law against that here in PA. Hasn't changed a thing. Still see grass on roads constantly.

Along with that I see a rise in screw everybody else it's about me attitude in general.

Stopping on a road, no signals, to back into a driveway.  This should be illegal also along with backing out of a driveway onto a busy road.

• Thumbsup 1

Well, in this age of geezers like me not taking kindly to being told what to do or not do, I suspect that no amount of law will prevent this sort of thing. You’re better off going around the obstacle and letting the anger go. Motorcycling has always been so. The things we put up with….

• Thumbsup 4
  • Confused 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, larolco said:

Ride on his lawn. 

But make sure you do it with a bike with knobbly tyres,and rip up his lawn. 🙂🙂

• Thumbsup 1

2019 900 GT, 1969 Honda S90

I get really worked up about this as the grass is Really slippery, especially with the dew on it in the morning.

I must agree with a few others though - people are waaay too trigger happy these days. If you aren't on talking terms, just slow down through the area and look for another favorite corner. Unnecessary confrontation won't leave either one of you happy.

• Thumbsup 3

I live in a semi rural area and grass thrown on the road is common.  It is illegal in Illinois, but the biggest violators are the road district employees who mow the highway right of ways.  It would be a waste of time to try and change that behavior.  What really ticks me off is when the person mowing grass doesn’t shut the mower deck off when I pass and debris is thrown in my direction.  I hate to point fingers, but it is usually a woman cutting grass with a zero turn👎  My eyes don’t lie.

• Sad 1

• Supporting Member

You guys might be riding the wrong bikes. I'm sure KellyL will agree with me but the Niken offers 80% more traction up front, just saying 😁

• Haha 5

26 minutes ago, kilo3 said:

Now if we could just get those darn tree's to stop dropping their wet leaves on the road in the fall.

26 minutes ago, kilo3 said:

Now if we could just get those darn tree's to stop dropping their wet leaves on the road in the fall.

And, don’t get me started on the slick, painted road markings when riding in the rain.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member

That must be one powerful lawnmower to cover the entire street with grass.

Personally, I'd just check for traffic and ride further away from his yard while passing by. Life is too short to worry about people like this.

Plus, riding on roads in the wet Pacific Northwest I had to deal with wet leaves in the roads, especially in the Fall months. It takes a bit more caution, but I never had any close calls due to leaves. 

• Thumbsup 1