How to deal with people who spit mowed grass on road

1 hour ago, whisperquiet said:

And, don’t get me started on the slick, painted road markings when riding in the rain.

Christ almighty, damn crosswalk squares, the one out of my neighborhood has a good 20 layers of paint on it and its slick as hell.  I can't even make a normal right hand turn when it's dry without slipping.

I get why people get really angry at the clueless humans who commit such atrocities. This comes up sooner or later on every moto-forum.

And yes, it is illegal to blow grass onto the road everywhere. It's also never, ever, enforced, so don't waste your energy and attention worrying about that.

The thing is, getting angry is counterproductive. You're actively getting distracted, worked up, and emotional. Anger makes you unsafe. You're making yourself unsafe.

Grass in the road just a road hazard, like any other. It's not blown "at" you personally. It just is, like leaves, mud, rocks, cow shit, tar snakes, paint, chip-n-seal, badly marked construction zones, Buicks, farm machinery, pirates, and other obstacles.

Don't take it personally. Just deal with it.

Some zen wisdom that may help...

“The resistance to the unpleasant situation is the root of suffering.”– Ram Dass

"Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace. ― Dalai Lama

"Smile, breathe and go slowly." ― Thích Nhất Hạnh

"Don't worry, be happy" – Bobby McFerrin

😀

Edited by bwringer
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, bwringer said:

I get why people get really angry at the clueless humans who commit such atrocities. This comes up sooner or later on every moto-forum.

And yes, it is illegal to blow grass onto the road everywhere. It's also never, ever, enforced, so don't waste your energy and attention worrying about that.

The thing is, getting angry is counterproductive. You're actively getting distracted, worked up, and emotional. Anger makes you unsafe. You're making yourself unsafe.

Grass in the road just a road hazard, like any other. It's not blown "at" you personally. It just is, like leaves, mud, rocks, cow shit, tar snakes, paint, chip-n-seal, badly marked construction zones, Buicks, farm machinery, pirates, and other obstacles.

Don't take it personally. Just deal with it.

Some zen wisdom that may help...

“The resistance to the unpleasant situation is the root of suffering.”– Ram Dass

"Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace. ― Dalai Lama

"Smile, breathe and go slowly." ― Thích Nhất Hạnh

"Don't worry, be happy" – Bobby McFerrin

😀

Yes, but some like to bitch bitch bitch. Gheez.......

• Haha 1

How ‘bout a gravel/sand carrier with his load uncovered, making a cloud of sand down the Highway. This is common in New Mexico. Not so much in California. Really burns me up. 

• Thumbsup 2

I see all kinds of stuff in the road that shouldn't be there.  If an accident occurs and someone is injured there is probably civil action that could be had.  I see yard folks blowing stuff into the street all the time some of the homeowners do it as well.  Good yard services don't do it but the bad one do.How do I know good and bad, just look at the yard afterwards, easy to see.

12 hours ago, KrustyKush said:

How ‘bout a gravel/sand carrier with his load uncovered, making a cloud of sand down the Highway. This is common in New Mexico. Not so much in California. Really burns me up. 

This is every loaded dump truck in every state I've ever been in. Yes, there are strict laws requiring loads to be covered, but they are never, ever, under ANY circumstances, enforced. Dump trucks even have automated bed covers that are kind of laughable, but might help a little. But I don't think I've ever actually seen one in use. Well, maybe once...

As bad as the dump trucks are, I think the pig and cow haulers might be worse. Especially in a light rain. The plume of poowater lasts for miles and miles.

10 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

I see all kinds of stuff in the road that shouldn't be there.  If an accident occurs and someone is injured there is probably civil action that could be had.

There was a rather... adamant "grass in the road" thread over on ADVrider.com that went on for years and hundreds of posts. Among the hundreds of thousands of motorcyclists over there, not one could give or find an account of legal liability or even enforcement against road contaminators. (At least in the US.)

I suffered a broken leg after encountering a fresh hamburger grease spill on a motorcycle; the truck that picked up the grease from a nearby restaurant was leaking. It wasn't very visible at the time, but a few days later enough dirt had stuck to the grease trail that you could trace every drip for miles.

I looked into legal options for pursuing the truck operator for their negligence, but there was less than zero chance for success. Lying there in a ditch with a broken leg, I told the cop that there was something on the road where I went down, and asked him to go look, but he refused to even glance in that direction.

In the end, the practical and legal reality for us riders is that crap in the road (often literal crap) is pretty much considered our problem.

Edited by bwringer

On 5/5/2022 at 1:01 AM, Heli ATP said:

You guys might be riding the wrong bikes. I'm sure KellyL will agree with me but the Niken offers 80% more traction up front, just saying 😁

Nike looks too weird. I haven't ridden one yet, just a strange looking motorcycle to me. To each their own. I'd be interesting to see one on the race track 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
20 minutes ago, Instinct28 said:

Nike looks too weird. I haven't ridden one yet, just a strange looking motorcycle to me. To each their own. I'd be interesting to see one on the race track 

Here you go....

Niken on Track

• Haha 1

My pet peeve is diesel. On a wet road, it is the slickest substance on earth. Hitting a patch of that in a roundabout can be a puckering experience. 

Here's a little dump truck karma I witnessed the other day.

20220426_111338.jpg

• Haha 1

• Premium Member

I’ve always thought blowing your grass on the road looks like crap. Why take the time to make your yard look good while making your road look trashy?  Seems the same as littering to me. 
As far as the clippings goes, there’s 1000 things out there that I’m more concerned about when riding. 

• Thumbsup 2

Let’s go Brandon

Ohio has the largest Amish population in the country now, guess what I have to avoid on many of my favorites roads? ;) Meh......a bit of grass or leaves makes me giggle when people bitch about it.

20 hours ago, Instinct28 said:

@com3 to the white courtesy phone... 

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member

With South Florida drivers being what they are grass is the least of my problems. 🤷‍♀️

• Thumbsup 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA