FJ-09 windshield options

rusty_spoke

@redfjniner Thanks. For me it comes down to noise and can't ruin the look of the bike. That's a pretty low "perfect" bar :). I like your DIY model.  
BTW. I am 5'10' with 31" inseam. For me. The stock windscreen's problem seems to be turbulent air around the vertical edges. I simply think the vertical edge shape needs to be different. I'm going to start working on options.
I noticed a huge difference in noise with the Givi. I no longer get wind noise, I now get gearbox whine and engine noise :) Good earplugs are a must, you will be much less tired after a ride with plugs in.

Going to drop the stock screen down 2 inches by drilling new holes for a lower position and will also add the 1/2" spacers underneath to raise it up a bit off the bodywork. The lowest position seems to be the best for me, hoping the additional drop will be the sweet spot.
Update.
So the stock screen in this configuration is better than before but still pretty loud.
The air flow seems to hit me right above the visor. Less head buffeting for sure but still loud. Did a 250 mile ride today. Glad I brought the ear plugs.
Seems the screen needs to be really short or really tall. I'm coming off a naked aprilia, I'd say the wind noise is worse on the FJ. Maybe I'll take it off all together for a day and see how that goes.

Having more kms with the Madstad system now, the flexibility of the mount to tailor rake and height is more than any other screen manufacturer is doing. I think the other board members with the Madstad system must be just enjoying their bikes as I am now. My wife and I just went out this morning and both of us benefit from the new screen. I was fine tuning it by just loosening the bracket adjustments enough to be able to adjust while riding.
Even with cross wind there was minimal turbulence. With no wind it is really quiet even up to 150 km/h two up.

EAFC258D-DE59-4B84-AC1E-39876FED22CF_zpst70rrg5i.jpg
25C0DDC0-3A44-42B9-9735-99500BE4A816_zpswsm3kv6f.jpg

Going to drop the stock screen down 2 inches by drilling new holes for a lower position and will also add the 1/2" spacers underneath to raise it up a bit off the bodywork. The lowest position seems to be the best for me, hoping the additional drop will be the sweet spot.
I totally gave up on the stock windscreen and finally dramatically shortened it for summer use. 
I tried a lot with the stock screen. Dropped 5". large spacers at top then at bottom to change angle.  Installed the CalSci. Awesome quit still air.  To hot for 105F riding.

I crudely hacked off the stock windscreen just below the speedo cluster. Not very pretty. Very comfortable riding in 90-105F so far with full gear.

The FJ-09 does not seem to heat the rider. My 200cc dirt bike is hotter to ride than the FJ.

Very satisfied with the cut stock windscreen for summer and the CalSci windscreen for cold temperatures below 80F.

I have a MadStad screen for winter use on my 690. Love it!

2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

• Premium Member
For others seeking quiet, I have found that my "Windjammer 2" from Amazon makes a BIG difference. And the price is right--$20 (US).

It also provides warmth. May not be practical for summer in warmer climes, but in SF where it's a pretty steady 45-75 degrees F, I can use it year-round.

Downsides: heat (see above); makes it a little harder to get on and off.

I'm pretty sure that this is the second-best bang for the buck as far as quiet goes (the first being earplugs properly inserted, which I also use...).

On another note, I just ordered a Madstad, and I don't even have an FJ-09 yet! I wanted to have the screen when I got the bike. I think I'm (somewhat more) committed now to getting the bike.

• Premium Member
Yes, since fitting a Puig deflector I can now hear the induction roar and engine noises. Nothing to worry about but it does make some odd noises at times and drastic differences in the whine from the transmission in different gears.

Still using earplugs as even the lower noise levels will cause damage as the effect accumulates over time.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Just a quick rant. The stock windscreen makes high speed riding miserable and I'm 5'6". It's as if Ferrari contracted the defunct Yugo factory to design and build a windshield.

Get the Madstad system. We are basically the same height. 20 inch screen is perfect for you.

Just a quick rant. The stock windscreen makes high speed riding miserable and I'm 5'6". It's as if Ferrari contracted the defunct Yugo factory to design and build a windshield.
Get the Madstad system. We are basically the same height. 20 inch screen is perfect for you.

Can you tell me a little more about the Madstad? I had their system on my VStrom 650 but that bike had an enormously strange front end and buffeting was terrible. Does the Madstad work in more than one position for you?
Are you looking over the top or through it?
Is it quiet behind the screen? Because air flow is directed over the top of your helmet?
I believe function over form but does it make the bike look 'clunky' or something like that. Like a square tacked onto a circle.
Did you get the clear or which tint? Would you change that if you could?
Thanks

Basstodave,

Just look at my post a bit earlier on this thread with some photos. I look over the shield. On Madstad website it tells you how to pick screen size. I think about 7 posts up.
I also have more photos of it on my " farkling the FJ 09 by rszk thread in accessories reviews.

I got the light grey tint. For me this is great system.

Cheers

Basstodave, 
Just look at my post a bit earlier on this thread with some photos. I look over the shield. On Madstad website it tells you how to pick screen size. I think about 7 posts up.
I also have more photos of it on my " farkling the FJ 09 by rszk thread in accessories reviews.

Cheers
I'm 5' 7" and installed a 20" Madstad today. It works really well, and is *very* adjustable. I bought the clear shield. It's a bit expensive, but seems worth it for me. 
Glad it came with good instructions, because the 2 slider brackets were pre-assembled incorrectly.
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Basstodave, 

Cheers
I'm 5' 7" and installed a 20" Madstad today. It works really well, and is *very* adjustable. I bought the clear shield. It's a bit expensive, but seems worth it for me. 
Glad it came with good instructions, because the 2 slider brackets were pre-assembled incorrectly.