FJ-09 windshield options

rusty_spoke

Guest branthopolis
I'm 5' 7" and installed a 20" Madstad today. It works really well, and is *very* adjustable. I bought the clear shield. It's a bit expensive, but seems worth it for me. 
Glad it came with good instructions, because the 2 slider brackets were pre-assembled incorrectly.

My brackets were pre-assembled incorrectly also..    Straight forward install otherwise..   I'm 5'8" and the 20" works well for me too...

Ok I'm ordering a light tint Madstad. Probably 20" but I'll do the measuring thing to be sure. :)

Make sure you post here what you think of it when you get it. I think you will be quite satisfied.

Can you guys do some measuring, Using my diagram as a reference? It would be nice to relate quite with relation to the height of the screen from the seat and the relation to the eyes. You will need a tape measure and a level to be accurate. Thanks, Ken.

Dni2Sud.jpg

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
So I am playing around with screen angle and height with limited success.Angling it back has seemed to help more than lowering it, but will try some more this coming weekend.I added two 1/2 inch spacers to the bottom two holes of the plastic sub frame and then 3/8 inch spacers to the lower holes between the screen and the plastic sub frame.Gentle buffeting around the shoulders and reduced (but not gone) wind roar.Next I drill holes in the screen to lower it another two inches.  Did not seem to change anything.
http://s296.photobucket.com/user/daleh627/media/Angled%20lowered%20screen_zpsjfrtli8a.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0Angled%20lowered%20screen_zpsjfrtli8a.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
I think a very bowed front is going to be required.  Not sure a flat screen will work.
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

Ok I'm ordering a light tint Madstad. Probably 20" but I'll do the measuring thing to be sure. :)
Make sure you post here what you think of it when you get it. I think you will be quite satisfied.
I haven't ordered the Madstad yet. Shipped to me in AZ from FL is $266. That is steep. If I don't like it and send it back I will lose at least $60. I lost $50 reselling a CalSci. This game sucks! kinda' lol 

Is this a valid request as follows? We are all trying to make our riding experience on the FJ better by experimenting with different windshields. So when you tell us which one you bought and installed please measure from the top of the instrument panel to the top of the screen with it in the lowest position. (This is partly how you measure for the Madstad) Then I can take that and roughly determine if my results will be similar if I install the same screen. The manufacturers listing the overall length doesn't tell me the length from the top screw to the top of the screen, and I think that matters as much as the overall shape.

Read more: http://fj-09.org/thread/1748/thoughts-on-awful-wind-noise?page=2#ixzz3dzpBevFC

Hi, i've read all the thread looking for the best solution for the buffeting/roaring noise given by the stock screen (i'm 183cm tall); i've two options (i think):

1) a small Sport screen like the Ermax or the Puig or the MRA (this one isn't looking too good, it's too rounded i think), with that i can stay in clean air, with wind directly on my Shark Speed-R, having only wind noise and no more head shaking or air "rumbling" around it.

2) a wind deflector, like the MRA X-Creen, using that with the stock screen is possible (i've seen here on the forum another user with that) and i've read on another forum that a deflector is very useful for the elimination of the turbulences (that thread was about the Givi Shield+ deflector).

I'm very confused... the pricing is almost the same (about 90 euros for the Ermax Sport Screen and 80euros for the MRA XCreen)...

Hi, i've read all the thread looking for the best solution for the buffeting/roaring noise given by the stock screen (i'm 183cm tall); i've two options (i think):

1) a small Sport screen like the Ermax or the Puig or the MRA (this one isn't looking too good, it's too rounded i think), with that i can stay in clean air, with wind directly on my Shark Speed-R, having only wind noise and no more head shaking or air "rumbling" around it.

2) a wind deflector, like the MRA X-Creen, using that with the stock screen is possible (i've seen here on the forum another user with that) and i've read on another forum that a deflector is very useful for the elimination of the turbulences (that thread was about the Givi Shield+ deflector).

I'm very confused... the pricing is almost the same (about 90 euros for the Ermax Sport Screen and 80euros for the MRA XCreen)...

Let us know if you add a spoiler to the stock screen. Pics, too. I am curious if the OEM screen is too flexible to adequately support a spoiler?

I have a Cal Sci tall windscreen, as well as a tinted shorty. The tall is OK around town and will likely see some use in the winter. The problem with it is that it seems to have too much leverage on the mount points at higher speeds, and likes to move around a bit too much. The shorty is great, and the air just hits the bottom of my helmet. No buffeting, but I would like to find something with a bit more wind protection before winter comes.

That's something that was brought up awhile back... that perhaps screen flex was contributing to the buffeting we're experiencing. Maybe I'll see about fabricating an 'extension' of sorts with rubber ends to stabilize the screen a bit better.
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

I really need something like that for my Yamaha Touring Screen. it will buzz at the rubber grommet part that supports it on hard acceleration and anytime the engine gets vibey. I did manage to reduce it a little by loosening the plastic screws. I rode w/o it the other day while I was plastidipping it and it was so nice not hearing it.

I thought it was my windscreen buzzing, too... but upon (slightly less-than-safe investigation while riding) I discovered it was actually where the outer hand guard rests on the bracket at the very inside of the guard. A tiny piece of foam completely silenced a nasty buzz.
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)