Tracer 9 GT Plus Coming to the U.S.

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

Interesting news article regarding the Tracer 9 GT Plus.  

Yamaha Tracer 9 GT+ Finally Coming to US for 2024 (msn.com)

It sounds pretty technologically impressive.  I'm very curious to read some in-depth reviews on the European release 2023 model when it hits the streets.  The first sentence of the article you posted has a link to a more comprehensive explanation of the ACC, Unified Braking and radar assist QS features. 

https://www.motorcycle.com/new-model-preview/2023-yamaha-tracer-9-gt-and-tracer-9-gt-first-look.html

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Good luck Yamaha selling these in the US! The major issue with this model will be the price point for what you get and how close it is to the next class up.  Pricing will be almost $2k more than a standard Tracer GT and $3 k more than a Suzuki GSX-S GT+. Plus with the 2024 price increase to surely follow, the GT+ will creep above $17k! Looking at 2023 EU pricing (attached; 2023 Tracer 9GT+ is EUR 16,899 list in Germany) plus the annual price increase of around 300 to 400 dollars for the 2024 model is where the 2024 version will launch in the US.  For me to be competitive at this price Yamaha would have to amp up the engine to around 150 hp, which I think they could easily do, and I would consider it. With the current drivetrain that price is no bueno for me. Yamaha already has a really difficult time selling all the Tracers in the US market as it is and I think once you get into that price class it would be even harder. 

2022 Yamaha Retail EU.jpg

Edited by Turd Ferguson
  • Thumbsup 3

Much as I like the sound of this new model, I have to agree completely with Turd Ferguson above - just tacking on these undoubtedly nice features and pushing the price into premium motorcycle territory will see a lacklustre uptake especially in this market. BMW already makes a bike in this arena and the Tracer ain't no S1000XR ... (which is also not a huge seller for BMW in this market).

• Thumbsup 2

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

My dealer will probably not order any GT + unless Yamaha makes them get one or two.  The reason is that there is no market for Sport Tourers in the midwest or at least a very small market.  The last Tracer they had sat for 6 months.  The Midwest is a cruiser and HD market.  The GT+ price starts to put it in the Road King area.

Just my opinion.

• Thumbsup 1

Good grief, the price of this new machine isn't bad at all compared to the competition and or compared to other machines with comparable options. My buddy spent $26K on his R1250GS Adventure, and he spent likely another 2K on it since buying last year. Have y'all seen the price of any car/truck these says, for example are you paying attention to the price of food and fuel? This new GT+ is an absolute bargain for what it is IMHO, and the whole excessive HP thing these days is overrated anyways, the Tracer is plenty fast and powerful and the engine is very reliable in this tune.......always a compromise. I like the Suzuki sport touring machine, but no centerstand and no way in hell it's more comfortable than the Tracer for most riders. Kudos to Yamaha for making this their new sport touring platform, although would be nice to see the FJR all new and in particular the Super Tenere. 

• Thumbsup 8

• 3 weeks later...

I don't disagree that $17K is a good price but not sure I want one that bad.  I could buy a BMW R1250... but don't want to spend that much.  I understand the midwest.  Mostly flat level roads and cruisers work well there.  Although I do lots of long trips don't need the ACC on the GT+ but do like the new display.  I love my 2020 900GT and will probably keep it for a while.  Had surgery so off the bike for at least another 2 weeks or more 😞   Will evaluate after to see how much will be able to ride - expect to be back to normal but pauses like this always cause me to consider what I ride.  I look at bikes like the T7 and Ninja 650 and think the smaller size would be nice but then they are not set up for the long stretches I ride on long trips.  Days where a lot of the riding is with CC on.  So I wind up back at where I started, my Tracer 900GT is not too heavy or big yet is still comfortable for long rides and fun when I get to the curvy roads.  Good power yea occasionally I could use more but most of the time it has all i need and then some.  

Will be interesting to see how well it sells.  It is a good alternative to more expensive bikes and does have ACC for those who want it.  It is also distanced from the new Suzuki sport tourer - no center stand is a deal killer for me. 

• Thumbsup 2

Add me to the list that feels extra horsepower does not always justify a higher price in an ST bike.  Heck, the power of my 2019 is more than enough for it's intended purpose, even when I am hunting apexes.

• Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• 2 weeks later...

The German prices posted above include 19% VAT, so we'll see what Yamaha US will price it at. If they offered a model without the adaptive cruise control, I'd opt for that to save $$. Hopefully, the 9GT also gets rid of the 2 TFT screens in favor of one large screen.