Tracer 9 GT Plus Coming to the U.S.

• Supporting Member
46 minutes ago, mingo said:

If they offered a model without the adaptive cruise control, I'd opt for that to save $$. Hopefully, the 9GT also gets rid of the 2 TFT screens in favor of one large screen. 

I have watched a few youtube reviews of the GT+ and in Europe they mention 3 models, the Tracer 9, Tracer 9GT and also the GT+ which has the radar. 

In North America the Tracer doesn't seem to sell well like other countries so we only get one model.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, betoney said:

I have watched a few youtube reviews of the GT+ and in Europe they mention 3 models, the Tracer 9, Tracer 9GT and also the GT+ which has the radar. 

In North America the Tracer doesn't seem to sell well like other countries so we only get one model.

And I would bet its the 9GT and not the 9GT+.

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

Just a few thoughts to add to some very good responses...

First, would this adaptive radar send false alarms to my radar detector?  Or my fellow rider's radar detectors?  Not that I would ever exceed the speed limit...but just asking.  

Second, the competition really includes all the used bikes in this category.  It's not just the 2023 and 2024 models it will compete against, but the slightly older bikes with few miles on them...that were the cream of the class that all the reviewers made it seem like they were perfection.  If they were so good 1-3 years ago...are they trash now? Absolutely not...unless you're employed in Marketing for a motorcycle company.  :D

I'm riding on a 2014 bike with 96K on it, and if it died, the last thing I'd look at is a brand new bike.  I'd probably get another...for about a third of what a new bike costs.  I can buy a lot of farkles and gas for the difference.  And really, I could care less about all the electronics.  When Steve McQueen jumped the barbed wire fence on the motorcycle in The Great Escape, I doubt he had a "sport" setting.  He just did it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, daboo said:

Just a few thoughts to add to some very good responses...

First, would this adaptive radar send false alarms to my radar detector?  Or my fellow rider's radar detectors? 

Unlikely as they operate on different frequency ranges, and on top of that in the case of your own radar detector going off .. it is mounted behind the business end of both the forward or rear transmitters.

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

Bud didn't have active suspension either 🙂

@daboo makes a good point as they will compete against used models that are more "upmarket"  I've bought more new bikes than used but always looking for a good deal.  Think as the supply chain slowly straightens out and more used bikes come into the market again the prices will come down. I like the IMU and the cornering ABS it brings and the active suspension.  Those are still rare on used bikes and would certainly push me towards a new bike.  I tend to take long trips and like a bike with lower miles but again if properly maintained and not abused engines and transmissions are very reliable and the big wear items can be inspected and maintained.  I would not set out on a long trip with worn tires, a chain with kinks or leaking fork seals for example.  IMO the biggest risk on a long trip with a high mileage bike is the charging system, specifically the stator.  They are more difficult to judge when they are near the end of life.  But such is a long trip, I'm retired and do not have to be back by a date and if the bike breaks then the trip takes a twist and a turn and become an adventure.

I really like my Tracer 900 GT as it is comfortable enough for the 500 to 600 miles days getting there and sporty enough to enjoy the fun roads I encounter.  

• Thumbsup 3

^^ I like what you said.  I traded in my perfectly outfitted FZ-01 with only 45,000 miles on it because I realize that as I get older (70+) I can utilize the nanny gear that comes on the new T9GT but can live without ACC and I really like the split dash.  The new quick shifter would be nice not to reengage the cruise control after an up or down shift but until I got my T9GT I had no quickshifter for over 50 years.  I also find the rider position is excellent and good for lots of miles, no need to drop hundreds of $ for a seat and windscreen.  Just my humble opinion.

• Thumbsup 3

Only things I wish my 20 had was the new quick shifter, the toggle switch and the TFT display, I am upgrading my suspension soon with K-Tech components, so it will be better than the latest OEM anyways, and will be sprung to my weight. :)

Edited by Ride365
  • Thumbsup 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/7/2023 at 10:43 AM, Ride365 said:

Only things I wish my 20 had was the new quick shifter, the toggle switch and the TFT display, I am upgrading my suspension soon with K-Tech components, so it will be better than the latest OEM anyways, and will be sprung to my weight. :)

I have a 2019 and installed Ktech cartridges and Ktech rear shock, it transformed the bike.

On 4/7/2023 at 7:40 AM, OldBikers said:

I'm still waiting for Yamaha accessories for the 2021 T9GT which are available in Europe and some in Canada.

me too

4 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Apparently, your recovery from surgery has gone well (I hope).

My 600+ mile days are unfortunately a fond memory.  And those trips were on my VTR!

Now we're considering a Spinal Cord Stimulator Implant complete with smartphone app.  More fusion etc my surgeon says is now off the table.

Hey, but since my last TURP my prostate has been finally been whipped good. Knock on plastic! 

Glad to hear your TURP surgery went well.  I have heard mainly good things about TURP.

5 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I was going to note that as well.

Didn't Bud recently pass?

I dont know……..another tidbit…

Bud was the motorcyclist that laid down the motorcycle toward the end of the chase scene in Bullitt.