Gas Light Annoyance

Does anyone else have issues with the gas light coming on prematurely on their Tracer 9 GT? 

I reset my trip meter every fill-up, and the most recent one seemed very premature compared to other fill-ups. I was getting  ~45mpg out of a full tank, but at 170 miles the fuel light came on and the indicator started blinking at me. I read in the manual it's supposed to come on when there's only .76 gallons of fuel left but when I filled it at the gas station the tank was full after only 3 gallons of gas (4.9gal capacity)! 

The math doesn't quite work out, but I included it below.

45mpg / 170mi = 3.77gal used

3.77gal - 4.99capacity = 1.21gal fuel left

So did my gas light come on with 1.22 gallons left, or is it impossible to get the last 1/2 gallon of fuel into the motorcycle and I'll almost always be running on 4.5 gallons?

Has anyone else had this issue or is it worth tracking and contacting my dealership if I keep noticing the light coming on presumably prematurely?

• Thumbsup 1

If what your calc shows is consistent then go with it as normal. 170 or so miles is when I look for gas and seems typical from others here. I did eke out about 225 mi 2 yrs ago but you dont want to try that unless you have no choice. There was 1 pump in podunk with the next town 35 mi away. We were in E CO trying to make time into a strong head wind.

When you fill up, how far did you fill up the tank? From my personal experience, I fill up a little past the filler tube/overflow level without over-filling. I tend to get ~180+ miles before the fuel warning light comes on. Also do you have the right side information display set for 'FUEL CON' which is fuel consumed and does it roughly match when you're at the pump? Some of it might depend on weight load, temp and how you're riding w.r.t. throttle.

• Thumbsup 2

My experience is similar to the OP's. On my 22 the Fuel gauge and the fuel light are not very accurate, as far as I can tell  they come on with about a gallon left. The Fuel Con display is better but still about 2 tenths higher than I can put in. I am averaging about 48 mpg.

45 minutes ago, robzilla said:

When you fill up, how far did you fill up the tank? From my personal experience, I fill up a little past the filler tube/overflow level without over-filling. I tend to get ~180+ miles before the fuel warning light comes on. Also do you have the right side information display set for 'FUEL CON' which is fuel consumed and does it roughly match when you're at the pump? Some of it might depend on weight load, temp and how you're riding w.r.t. throttle.

Hmmm, I don't have fuel con on my dash. Good call! I'll change it over and be sure to keep track.

I fill the tank up to just below the metal 'grate' that the filler nozzle fits in.

I always fill my 900 GT to halfway across the metal grate with the bike on the side stand.  I find the fuel consumed is pretty consistent and is about 0.2 gallons off low.  Fuel consumption varies significantly with speed, headwind, elevation and quality of gas.  IF possible I burn alcohol free gas as it gets better mileage.  I'm usually hunting for gas well before the light goes on.  Traveling in somewhat remote areas where it may be a long way to gas tends to make me cautious - I've come way to close to running out of gas.  One time the only thing that saved me as a lone gas pump on top of a hill at a place that appeared deserted.  75 to 100 miles ahead to the next gas and over 40 behind to gas so would have been a bad place.

OP, that does seem pretty early based on what others are saying.  Things like bike position do affect the fuel gauge (and light).  I've had mine read lower just from being parked on the side stand and headed uphill a bit.  However when riding on relatively flat ground it is very consistent.  

3 hours ago, cgreaseman said:

Does anyone else have issues with the gas light coming on prematurely on their Tracer 9 GT? 

I reset my trip meter every fill-up, and the most recent one seemed very premature compared to other fill-ups. I was getting  ~45mpg out of a full tank, but at 170 miles the fuel light came on and the indicator started blinking at me. I read in the manual it's supposed to come on when there's only .76 gallons of fuel left but when I filled it at the gas station the tank was full after only 3 gallons of gas (4.9gal capacity)! 

The math doesn't quite work out, but I included it below.

45mpg / 170mi = 3.77gal used

3.77gal - 4.99capacity = 1.21gal fuel left

So did my gas light come on with 1.22 gallons left, or is it impossible to get the last 1/2 gallon of fuel into the motorcycle and I'll almost always be running on 4.5 gallons?

Has anyone else had this issue or is it worth tracking and contacting my dealership if I keep noticing the light coming on presumably prematurely?

Same. My vstrom had 5 bars and each represented almost exactly one gallon with no surprises. My 21 goes from good to blinking quick. 

25 minutes ago, duckie said:

Just learn the gas consumption characteristics of the motorcycle and dont make mountains out of molehills.

I agree. Obsessing over something you cant change significantly serves little purpose. But hey thats just us huh!

On 6/27/2023 at 3:55 PM, duckie said:

Just learn the gas consumption characteristics of the motorcycle and dont make mountains out of molehills. Seems to be a trend……

But isn't that what forums are for ...? 😁 Especially during winter months or heat waves ... ?

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

I never gave much thought about how much fuel goes into the the tank when fueling on the the side stand v on center stand …..until yesterday. 

I gave my Tracer a treat awhile ago by putting in 96 octane gas from the track pump. Yesterday, I put some from the R1 into a fuel can to add to the Tracer before my ride. 
Instead of fueling on the side stand, I fueled on the center stand, first time ever.

I was quite surprise in the difference between fueling on side stand v center stand. There is easily 1/2 gallon, at least, difference between the two. 

Gonna be doing center stand fueling from now on.

Oh….the Tracer loves 96 octane. 

Think the funky gas gauge catches folks out.  It's full, its full, its full, its half, its gas light!  Having a gas gauge that goes from full to half with nothing in between an be a bit disconcerting at first.  This was my second bike with that type of gas gauge so was not unexpected and I could cope a bit better.  Mine is pretty good about going to half tank at about 1/2 full or maybe 0.1 gallons off.  Another problem is the second half of the tank is not as "big" as the first since the "reserve" is in the second half.  I go by mileage more than anything and would get from 100 to 120 miles before it went to half tank.  I could never get close to that on the second half even when I ran it down pretty low.  Very rare to run it much with just one bar left and only had the light come on when I miscalculated how far to fuel (rare).  Due to traveling a fair amount in remote areas without many gas stations I was hyper aware of gas consumption. The last couple of bars do not seem to last as long as the first bar after half tank.

So to me it is pretty much a non issue but I can certainly see how someone new to the bike would find it disconcerting at first - seems like its full for a long time then at half and quickly its time to start looking for gas.   When running interstate speeds where I live the first half may last 95 to 98 miles and at 140 the light is about to go on.  

One nice thing about the bike is it responds well to slowing down and the gas mileage goes up.  If you find yourself thin on gas slow way down (but not dangerously) and squeeze great mileage out of the last bit of gas.  If you been running 75 to 80 and slow down to 60 it is amazing the difference in gas mileage.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
11 minutes ago, PhotoAl said:

One nice thing about the bike is it responds well to slowing down and the gas mileage goes up.  If you find yourself thin on gas slow way down (but not dangerously) and squeeze great mileage out of the last bit of gas.  If you been running 75 to 80 and slow down to 60 it is amazing the difference in gas mileage.

I noticed the exact same thing while on a road trip last week.  I got great mileage when riding up to 65mph but the fuel economy dropped quickly at 70mph and above.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

I think everything everybody discussed before me above Was wonderful

What am I the the only 1 who questioned the original premise of 4.95 or whatever was gallons when it's an 18 l tank And that equates in US to about 4.76...

2.6 l / .69 (great number) gallon reserve

My fastest Red 15 drops the big bar around 100 ~ 108 bestie bet

Yah beta bredy twalk round 200 😎

• Thumbsup 1