Tracer 9 GT + Announcement coming soon!

7 minutes ago, duckie said:

If I think someone behind me is using adaptive cruise control…..I start slowing down. 

My adaptive cruise control is me.

I want drivers to pay attention to their driving and not rely on a computer to do so.

Why? They will just slow down to match you and they will still be there.

I use adaptive cruise control (in my car) and I pay attention to my driving as it is possible to do both. Using ACC does not necessarily mean that one will pay less attention to what is going on. The important thing is that they are following at a safe distance behind you - something that is set with the ACC system.

Also, as far as I am aware, vehicles with ACC also have the ability to apply brakes if they sense an emergency so even if the person were to have a lapse of attention the car would keep the situation safe.

To each his own.

• Thumbsup 3

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

2 hours ago, duckie said:

If I think someone behind me is using adaptive cruise control…..I start slowing down. 

I want drivers to pay attention to their driving and not rely on a computer to do so.

Damnit I hate people who don't use cruise control on the interstate. Just had some jack off today do that, I'd get up to their b pillar then they'd speed up, I'd move back over to the right, then 15-10 mins later here they come drifting back 10 miles under the speed limit, move to pass then they speed up. Repeat at nasusoum. Don't be a dick.

As far as adaptive cruise control on a motorcycle, meh, I could see it on a more expensive touring bike, and kinda sadly that's what the tracer is becoming bloated with lifestyle creap and price. Less and less value sadly, but I'm sure they'll hit the reset button and make a new stripped down version after a couple of years again.

• Thumbsup 1

Not a fan of adaptive cruise, car or bike..... good only if you're staying in your own lane and just want to keep pace with traffic slowing down or speeding up.  Boring....

If you are switching lanes to pass, then it can mess you up as there's a lag.  If you are coming up on somebody and it applies the brakes, then you decide to change lanes, it has to find the new car in front, and meanwhile, Joe is coming up on your tail.... meh.  Keep that crap.

Try all that while towing a trailer..... I can tell you it sucks.  We don't need it on bikes, it can be dangerous.

Edited by RaYzerman
  • Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, kilo3 said:

As far as adaptive cruise control on a motorcycle, meh, I could see it on a more expensive touring bike, and kinda sadly that's what the tracer is becoming bloated with lifestyle creap and price. Less and less value sadly, but I'm sure they'll hit the reset button and make a new stripped down version after a couple of years again.

I also wish there was a "less-premium" version offered.  Just like the Kawasaki Versys 1000, the Tracer is offered in 3 versions or trim levels in Europe, at least in North America we only get the top spec models -$$$.  I also don't need ACC and am still on the fence about semi-active suspension as well, my "bare bones" original 2015 model performs pretty damn good with aftermarket suspension and cruise control.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

14 hours ago, kilo3 said:

Damnit I hate people who don't use cruise control on the interstate. Just had some jack off today do that, I'd get up to their b pillar then they'd speed up, I'd move back over to the right, then 15-10 mins later here they come drifting back 10 miles under the speed limit, move to pass then they speed up. Repeat at nasusoum. Don't be a dick.

Yup, it's called the MT-09. ;) The Tracer is their new sport touring platform, especially since the FJR and Super Ten are so outdated and in dire need of a redesign. 

• Thumbsup 1

13 hours ago, betoney said:

I also wish there was a "less-premium" version offered.  Just like the Kawasaki Versys 1000, the Tracer is offered in 3 versions or trim levels in Europe, at least in North America we only get the top spec models -$$$.  I also don't need ACC and am still on the fence about semi-active suspension as well, my "bare bones" original 2015 model performs pretty damn good with aftermarket suspension and cruise control.

The suspension on my GT is awesome. Leaps and bounds ahead of my 2019. Overall, it's a much improved handling bike over the previous model I had.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/7/2023 at 12:30 PM, duckie said:

Why slow down?

If I'm running adaptive cruise behind you and you slow down, I'll slow down too.... Exactly as I would have if I wasn't running adaptive cruise and was entirely on the ball.  What have you accomplished?  

Eh, you can say that about regular cruise control too, or a throttle lock. It's silly.  It's nice to be able to relax your hands, and unlike regular cruise control adaptive cruise is massively safer.  If I put on cruise control because my hand is numb (I have serious ongoing problems with this) and the guy in front of me suddenly brakes because he thinks I'm running adaptive cruise, *but I'm not*, now it's a frantic race back to the bars.  

Yeah, I want people to pay attention. I want to always pay attention.  But if you're riding for 500 miles today, for the third day, on a long stretch of open road you're not always going to be 100% focused.  Adaptive cruise makes the process much safer. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

I often drive 8-10 hours in a rental car to get to work. Love adaptive cruise for long drives on the interstate. It allows me to relax more and the vehicle often brakes before I would when someone ahead does something stupid.

Not for use around town or short drives, but I could see using it for touring on a motorcycle.

Sort of like quick-shifters and traction control, people don't know what they are missing till they try them 😉

• Thumbsup 2

59 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Why slow down?

If I'm running adaptive cruise behind you and you slow down, I'll slow down too.... Exactly as I would have if I wasn't running adaptive cruise and was entirely on the ball.  What have you accomplished?  

Eh, you can say that about regular cruise control too, or a throttle lock. It's silly.  It's nice to be able to relax your hands, and unlike regular cruise control adaptive cruise is massively safer.  If I put on cruise control because my hand is numb (I have serious ongoing problems with this) and the guy in front of me suddenly brakes because he thinks I'm running adaptive cruise, *but I'm not*, now it's a frantic race back to the bars.  

Yeah, I want people to pay attention. I want to always pay attention.  But if you're riding for 500 miles today, for the third day, on a long stretch of open road you're not always going to be 100% focused.  Adaptive cruise makes the process much safer. 

So basically you are riding impaired because you are tired and are relying on the computer to make think you are riding safe. 

I dont like people following me ……ive been rear ended and it aint no fun.

I never suddenly brake, just lift off the gas. 

I trust no other drivers. Seen too much stupidity to rely on others for my safety.

28 minutes ago, Heli ATP said:

I often drive 8-10 hours in a rental car to get to work. Love adaptive cruise for long drives on the interstate. It allows me to relax more and the vehicle often brakes before I would when someone ahead does something stupid.

Not for use around town or short drives, but I could see using it for touring on a motorcycle.

Sort of like quick-shifters and cruise control, people don't know what they are missing till they try them 😉

Hmmmmm…..seems you dont pay much attention if the computer brakes before you would.

Driving safely requires 100% concentration cause things, anything, can happen in a instant. 
It doesn’t take a computer to be able to relax while driving or riding. 
It takes awareness that you are tense. And if ya are tense it is a sign  you need to stop for a rest break….not keep going. 
Laziness while driving or riding is not safe.

• Supporting Member
36 minutes ago, duckie said:

Hmmmmm…..seems you dont pay much attention if the computer brakes before you would.

I probably have a million car miles driven (and over 7000 flight hours) and have never caused an accident. I have however been hit on all sides by other drivers. I am very alert to distractions and how they can affect us. You make it sound like the best drivers will never get into an accident.

I pay plenty of attention but sometimes the machine is quicker than us humans. Sorry you seem so bothered by all of this. I'm over it, carry on.

• Thumbsup 4

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, duckie said:

Driving safely requires 100% concentration cause things, anything, can happen in a instant. 
It doesn’t take a computer to be able to relax while driving or riding. 
It takes awareness that you are tense. And if ya are tense it is a sign  you need to stop for a rest break….not keep going. 
Laziness while driving or riding is not safe.

If anyone ever tells you that they drive 100% focused, 100% of every mile they travel, feel free to call them a LIAR, it isn't going to happen, they are human.  You are going to get distracted and look out the window or your mind will wander as you travel a long lonely highway, I'm not talking about looking at a cell phone or texting while driving but simple human motor functions.

The only thing that would be 100% focused 100% of every mile driven would be a machine or a computer -like maybe the radar monitoring the ACC? 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Thumbsup 5

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 7/9/2023 at 9:42 AM, duckie said:

So basically you are riding impaired because you are tired and are relying on the computer to make think you are riding safe. 

Not at all.  The reality is *nobody* is 100% attentive 100% of the time.  Nobody.  Anyone who says they are is a bloody liar.  This isn't opinion, it's simply fact - nobody can maintain perfect focus and concentration for hour after hour.

So you're, let's say, 70%.  You're not falling asleep or anything, you're still paying attention to your surroundings, but you're relaxed. It's a highway, and you're on your way home. There's some traffic, but everyone is doing the speed limit and things are moving smoothly.

There's no point in passing, because there'll just be another car.  You could slow down, but then you'll have an endless line of angry people passing you.

You glance over at some deer on the side of the road - they're pretty, and their also insanely suicidal, so you want to make sure they're not going to do something stupid.  The guy in front of you suddenly let's off the gas and starts engine braking, then starts braking hard.

"Relying on the computer to make you think you are riding safe" is widely inaccurate.  You're using a tool to ride safer.  With regular CC, you'd close the gap with him before knowing anything was happening, and only have your attention securely grabbed once his brake lights come on.  With ACC, your bike would have immediately started lightly braking the instant he started slowing, grabbing your attention much earlier.  

Frankly, you SHOULD want other drivers to have ACC instead of CC.  Because the driver with ACC isn't going to rear end you, he literally can't, even if there's a medical emergency and he suddenly loses conciousness.  The driver with CC or just his right wrist/foot certainly can though.

I've been rear ended too, a few times.  It sucks.  I accept that many drivers and riders are stupid, or inattentive, or even drunk so I'm all about technology that helps protect me from them.

They guy behind you with ACC is definitely not going to rear end you.

• Thumbsup 2

Hear hear, sooner or later, we all get caught out and active cruise is a help regardless of how good you think you are.

Lots of people complained about ABS when it first came out, and even quickshifters, I read somebody here saying that they don't need it because they can clutchless shift just as fast 😆 .

Auto cruise is good, active cruise is better, cornering ABS, quikshifters, ESA suspension, it is all bloody awesome.

My brother in law who is an accredited professional idiot refuses to use the auto headlights in his car, when I asked him why he stated "mate, I decide when the headlights go on". Fight the wars you know you can win I say.

• Thumbsup 7

On 7/9/2023 at 9:51 AM, duckie said:

No matter how much attention you're paying, no matter how fit or trained you are, the computer is faster than you are.  Now I'm not saying you should rely on that, that you should just stop paying attention, obviously not. But even if you're totally 100% tuned in and focused, it's like traction control, or ABS.  It's testing hundreds to thousands of times per second with tremendous precision, and can react before a human brain has even understood what it's seeing, let alone started to respond.  

But was said: Nobody is ever 100%, 100% of the time.  Nobody.  If it's faster than you at your absolute best - and it is - it's definitely faster than you when you're momentarily distracted.  

• Thumbsup 4