error code after front and rear tire change

11 hours ago, duckie said:

I forgot to mention that the rubber thingie covering the front seat release needs to be removed.

Hah yeah, I always forget to mention that because I tossed mine somewhere in my first week of ownership.  Completely forget that it exists :)

appreciate all the comments and detailed pictures.  to me it was easier to remove the 4 bolts. gave my FAT fingers more room and I will connect it back to the plastic tab when done.  Thanks everyone
OBD Link was connected, and error code found PD0500 Speed sensor A

now I just have to find which is A, front or rear.

Just a suggestion-- maybe clear the code, put the bike on the center stand, spin the front wheel first and see if it trips an error, if not repeat for the rear wheel. But sounds like the front to me.

• Thumbsup 1

Personally, I just tuck it under the seat bracket in front of the tab. 

My guess would be the front sensor. That is a bit tricky to put back properly.  It can be mounted wrong.

So, I wonder what the dealer was doing wrong. 

interesting, many of you have noted the front speed sensor is "tricky" 
On my 2019GT it only goes in one way, there is only one screw, and there is a metal bracket that lines it all up.  I am wondering if I am missing what is tricky and will find that when I replace the speed sensor it will continue to error because "I do not know what I do not know"

Any details on what is tricky about installing the speed sensor?

Edited by Rdecae81

3 minutes ago, Rdecae81 said:

On my GT it only goes in one way, there is only one screw, and there is a metal bracket that lines it all up.  I am wondering if I am missing what is tricky and will find that when I replace the speed sensor it will continue to error because "I do not know what I do not know"

The first time I rehung the caliper after a tire change on my '20 900gt I too thought there was only 1 way to mount the abs sensor so I threw it on and rode. The abs light flickered and cruise didnt work. When back home it was obvious the sensor could be closer to the abs ring on the wheel by flipping the holder. Did that and everything was good.

interesting I will go look at the fiche, again.

but based upon this picture the speed sensor is first next to the fork, then the metal bracket is on top of that.  And that is how mine looks.  but I will check again.

front wheel speed sensor.JPG

Edited by Rdecae81

If you not take note of the position of the metal bracket when removingthe sensor, it is possible to reinstall it in the wrong position. 
Its not readily apparent which postion is correct. 

The correct position puts the sensor closer to the sensor ring.

Or maybe just a bad sensor…or connection somewhere. 

The reason I mentioned the bracket is because, I’m assuming, the sensor was removed before the wheel was removed and making sure it is reinstalled correctly elminates one reason for a error code…….basic troubleshooting 101

Edited by duckie
  • Thumbsup 2

18 hours ago, Rdecae81 said:

On my 2019GT it only goes in one way, there is only one screw, and there is a metal bracket that lines it all up.  I am wondering if I am missing what is tricky and will find that when I replace the speed sensor it will continue to error because "I do not know what I do not know"

What people have done in the past on the older models, is to insert the sensor part way and then used the retaining bolt to draw it to its final installation position- when it’s done this way, the bracket gets tweaked and the sensor doesn’t sit squarely to the tone ring. 
Insert the sensor fully, then -while holding it in there- secure the bolt. 

Yamaha has changed the sensor design and mounting over the years, IIRC. 

It is also possible to mix up the spacers in some mcy models, FJR’s come to mind - where the spacer under the cover is a different length.

it’s also possible to mount the wheel backwards (and tire direction) so that the tone ring for the ABS sensor to “read” isn’t even on the same side as the sensor. 

I’ve also seen the tone ring be struck by something (usually the foot of a tire machine for example) accidentally during the change , or by banging it onto the machine, which can cause a dimple, or high spot, or “warping” in the tone ring, which will also cause the abs not to work. Removing the tone ring from the wheel for inspection and placing it on a flat surface will usually show where the ring is tweaked. 

Finally while removing the tire with the sensor installed, on some models it’s possible to bonk the sensor while you’re trying to pull the rim out and damage it  

you think to yourself, “it’s just a tire change”, but there’s actually a lot that can go wrong. Don’t even get me started about the safety implications of F-ing up a “simple” tire change. Lives could be at stake. We’ve only got 2 wheels, where as cagers have a 4 wheels and a mistake can be a bit more forgiving. 

(none of this was directed at you, @Rdecae81) I’m stepping off the soapbox now…

-Skip

• Thumbsup 3

Thank you everyone, it is miserably hot in Atlanta right now, but I am going to go out and walk over the sensor install in detail early tomorrow morning while it is still cool enough to be in the garage.  I will keep you updated.