error code after front and rear tire change

15 hours ago, Rdecae81 said:

ok got it.  I have now done some reading, so I will just get teh LX version and connect to my windows laptop.  that way I do not have to get the far more expensive iPhone verson

Huh?  There's no cost based on phone, you can just use the LX and connect it to any phone by Bluetooth and use TorqueODB (free)

Until you get the codes using a obdII reader, you are just wasting time guessing. 

Guessing is not the same as real troubleshooting. 

And if you ever change the battery you will need a reader to clear the codes that come up because the battery was removed. 

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Rdecae81 said:

my guess is bad ECU.  No reason to think that, nothing has occured with the bike that could have caused an electrical issue.  But I am leaning more and more towards bad ECU.

I don’t believe that is the case. There is no way the ECU would suddenly turn faulty by removing the wheels. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, betoney said:

I don’t believe that is the case. There is no way the ECU would suddenly turn faulty by removing the wheels. 

Agreed. 

2 hours ago, duckie said:

Until you get the codes using a obdII reader, you are just wasting time guessing. 

Guessing is not the same as real troubleshooting. 

And if you ever change the battery you will need a reader to clear the codes that come up because the battery was removed. 

Not in my experience. If you are simply R&Ring batteries, no codes should be set. 

honestly no codes should be set during a simple tire swap either… we’re not getting the whole story here.

per your other comment @duckie, yes we are all just guessing untill we know what the codes are…

-S

Once, I left my key on overnight and drained the battery. Put a new battery in and no qs, no access to maintance menu, don’t remember about ABS or TC, did have a check engine light.

Got a reader, cleared the code and got everything back. There were a few threads awhile back about this. Thats how I knew to get a reader to clear the code to get everything back.

BTW…..should aint the same as will not……

You can also trigger a CIL by running the rear wheel when on the center stand. The bike sees the rear moving but not the front and this throws a fault.  

But yeah, a quick read of codes is what should happen, just so one knows what's going on - and having the setup to check codes (and on your cars too) is very much worthwhile, particularly given how inexpensive it is.

On 7/16/2023 at 8:12 AM, Rdecae81 said:

my engine and ABS fault lights are on.  In addition my cruise control will show on, but will not set.

so I just change my front and rear tire and front and rear brake pads.  nothing else

I made sure to not damage the front wheel sensor.

the bike actually rides great, and seems fine, but Cruise control will not activate, and on the display, bottom right corner, I have an engine and abs icons appearing.

NO I did not run the bike on the center stand. I did spin both front and rear tires after the pad exchange and did test the brakes lever feel.  Again never turned the bike on or started the bike.

any thoughts?

Did you by chance run the bike in gear while on the center stand ? everything your describing happened to me   just before a long trip ,,dealer couldn't fix it ,,went to two wheel dyno ,{I know that doesn't help you } he plugged in his scanner and cleared the code in 30 seconds ,,unfortunately the only way to fix it is to clear that code ,I have seen here on this site you can find one at Amazon or eBay for like 45 $ ,,I hope this helps you ,,the dude Two wheel dyno said his was just a cheap code reader,,maybe you could call them ,see what they used ,,,425 269 5332

good luck 

ok so the issue is, the Dealer connected to the ECU but could not read it  i.e. NO codes.  I am going to buy my own reader, but assuming the dealer is not completely incompetent, (and I have used them for years on my FJR) I doubt my code reader will all of sudden work.  But I will try that first.

Agreed with above, that the ECU just stopping does seem be a leap
I will try to read the codes

I will disconnect the battery see if that clears everything.

I will replace the front speed sensor (only 90.00)

If none of that works then I will probably try a different dealer.

1 hour ago, Rdecae81 said:

the Dealer connected to the ECU but could not read it  i.e. NO codes

This is a very confusing statement. Are you saying that they could not read anything? Or that they could read just fine and no errors were indicated?

Also, did you ask them to diagnose your original errors or just to see if there were any error codes?

I ask because it's hard to imagine a competent dealer saying there is nothing wrong (which I interpret "NO codes" to mean) when you have ABS and engine fault lights on. Surely you asked them about those error lights and what they mean? What did they say to that?

they could not read the ECU.  So they got nothing.  They said their laptop would not show anything.  And they were able to read another bike, so it was not the laptop, but in fact it was my bikes ECU not connecting with the ODB reader.

56 minutes ago, Rdecae81 said:

they could not read the ECU.  So they got nothing.  They said their laptop would not show anything

And what did they recommend as next steps in the diagnosis process? Or did they stick their hands in the air and say "too hard for us?"

2 hours ago, Rdecae81 said:

they could not read the ECU.  So they got nothing.  They said their laptop would not show anything.  And they were able to read another bike, so it was not the laptop, but in fact it was my bikes ECU not connecting with the ODB reader.

That's problematic.  Where are you?

I'm going assuming you're in North America.  This PROBABLY applies elsewhere, but it definitely does in North America.

Specifics matter here. Assuming your dealer is competent, "Could not read the ECU" is not an answer - ODB2 is mandated by law and irrespective of whether there are codes(the check engine light and codes are only a small part of OBD2) you should be able to connect with an ODB2 device and read engine diagnostics.  If the dealer is unable to communicate with the ECU at all, there's something seriously wrong, but I strongly suspect that's not exactly what they said (or meant) unless they are actually really incompetent.

The symptoms you report are normal behavior for when there's an ECU fault code - it'll lock you out of the menus and not enable cc.  

I suspect, as you did not run the bike on the center stand (the single biggest cause of this) is possibly that you damaged the abs sensor or failed to install it properly, but honestly I think that's doubtful - you'd probably know it. 

I would STRONGLY recommend you take it to an official Yamaha dealer with Yamaha certified techs, who can hook it up to Yamaha's diagnostic software.  Because clearly your current dealer either has limited equipment, is just not very competent, or ...? I don't even know, but it sounds very questionable this point.

Basically while it's possible that you damaged/incorrectly installed the wheel speed sensor and that triggered a fault code, the dealer should have been able to diagnose and fix that immediately.  His inability to do that or give you an exact solution is frankly damning.

• Thumbsup 4