error code after front and rear tire change

well be a little nice to the dealer.  I showed up with no appointment, they had a full days work, and they took 30 minutes to hook the bike up to their ODBC reader.  they got nothing.  Now they only had 30 minutes to investigate, 

I was not aware that fault codes would lock out the Menu, so that makes me feel better.

I did order a new front speed sensor.  I will change it out.  the rear could also be the issue, but it was 180.00 vrs front which is 90.00 so I am going to do the front first.  

I was hoping the dealer could tell which sensor it was by reading the code, but for whatever reason, their setup in that short time period could not read my ECU.  

I also order my own ODBC reader the MX version noted above, so when it comes in, it will be interesting to see if I can read codes.  If I cannot get a reading, we might have a more serious problem.

Edited by Rdecae81

In May, 2020 Dirty Randy posted a similar issue to this forum as the OP here. Several posters to the OP chimed in for Randy. He replaced the front abs sensor making sure to mount it properly. A couple of test rides and clearing codes, along with disconnection the battery all worked to solve the issue. Hope this helps. 

yes I am expecting the same result.  but I change front and rear tires, so I am not 100% conviced it will be the front sensor.  I suspect it might be the rear sensor

will change out the front sensor (only 90.00) and if that does not solve the problem, then do the rear sensor (190.00)

I suspect one of them will solve the problem.

16 hours ago, Ride365 said:

None of this is making sense, including the dealer visit. 

Yeah.  I'm *really* dubious, and I'll admit I hate the idea of throwing parts(wheel speed sensors) at the bike in search of a solution instead of diagnosing it properly.  It might work, or it might be lighting $280 on fire.  A proper diagnostic run would cost less than $100 at a good shop.  Sure, maybe you pay $100, then need to pay another $90 for a new front speed sensor, but for any other outcome you're much better off - particularly if the problem isn't either wheel speed sensor!

I *know* Yamaha's diagnostic will show how the wheel speed sensors are running as that was done to diagnose my intermittently stopping cruise control problem (due to sprocket size change). 

I'm definitely interested in what ends up being the solution regardless.

Anyways, I've said my piece and I'll leave it at that.  

• Thumbsup 1

I too dont like throwing parts at a problem hoping the problem goes away. My posting the 2020 thread was reference info that might ring a bell for someone. A dealer with seasoned techs and fault codes should be able to diagnose the issue quickly I would think. 

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...

ok so I got my OBDLink MX+ took, and the 4pin to 10 pin yamaha cable.  I cannot find were to connect the four pin into the the motorcycles harness?  I did a quick search and I think it is under the drivers seat, but I have looked.  Anyone can help narrow down the location, and the color for the connector on the bike?

Yea the OBD2 port is under the passenger seat for the '22 T9GT. It's also reddish color, not sure about other years' colors. 

Can be seen here from Moore's ECU flash =>

Edited by robzilla

ok so on a 2019 Tracer 900Gt it is actually under the metal bracket for the seats.  It actually has a plastic tab that it locks into.  Maybe a person who really knows what they are doing could connect to it without removing the metal bracket, but I could not do it.  Plus the metal bracket is just four hex head cap screws, so it was very easy to remove and gave me full access to the plug.

Now to just start the bike, bluetooth to the OBDLink iPhone app and see what I get.  headed to bed, will do it first thing in the morning.

• Thumbsup 1

Couple of pics…….below

When I had to use the odbIl on my 19 900 gt, I did not need to remove the seat bracket. 

I got two pics that show the plastic tab it was attached to. That plastic tab is flexible, so you can get a finger in there from the backside  and press the tab forward enough to get the connector off. 
I did not reattach the connector to the tab, no need too.5ABCAF1F-C2A7-429D-8373-BA7E6785379D.thumb.jpeg.a8013e7331dbb5bc22a1818dcdad1dfe.jpeg06C169D4-A037-4E9A-9CD6-63C2F4874443.thumb.jpeg.e947372be2134404110a2c93467ca940.jpeg 

958744AD-3913-4163-86DA-76B955D6816F.jpeg

Edited by duckie
  • Thumbsup 1