Yamaha USA Announces 2024 Tracer 9 GT+

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, RaYzerman said:

Perhaps put it another way.... what is your ideal bike these days, in this segment...... mine is cruise control non-ACC, ABS brakes, good adjustable suspension (non-electronic), saddlebags, a good seat (virtually no motorcycle has a good factory seat), a good dash layout that keeps it simple and not having to play with it like a tablet... then price it accordingly.  In other words, just make it functional and not a gizmo-mobile.  Remember the pricing on the 2020 GT was C$15,300.  Now they want nearly $21k for a bike that has features one doesn't need or want.  That takes this one right off my list of potential bikes.  Which begs the question, has any bike manufacturer surveyed anyone to see what they really want?

Maybe Yamaha could lock features behind a pay wall in the software, activated by the dealer?  Several manufacturers have offered this option for awhile.  I'm not sure how I feel about that option but it could be an alternative for saving money on options you don't want or need.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

My next bike may be the last street bike I buy.  I will buy new as that’s the only way I can ensure it’s broken in and cared for the way I want from mile zero.  And I want something with the potential to last 20 years/200k miles.  Like most of the others here I balk at the complexity of the GT+.  I have my doubts as to how long Yamaha will manufacture/stock all the complex electronic subassemblies for the 2024 version.  And to be sure, they create additional points of failure with this bike.  

I’m not saying I won’t buy one, but it puts me on the fence.  I know if a non-plus GT with the updated screen and switchgear is offered in Europe that I will be envious for that one either way.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I remember reading a while back how auto manufacturers are building vehicles with all the options but many are locked out until you pay a premium. So the bike might cost say $10K but if you want to activate cruise add $1200, quickshifter add $900 and on and on. Seems like some here would go for that? Would you buy a motorcycle with features that were not activated and suffer the extra weight? Does it become a safety issue if ACC is not usable? What happens if you sell your bike, do the features you paid for get switched off for the new owner to purchase again.

From what I've seen, locking out owners from hardware and software they already own tends to alienate owners and decrease brand loyalty more often than not.  I guess that will only matter for as long as some manufacturers refrain from implementing that scheme.   

Edited by Toei
  • Thumbsup 3

I’m all for new tech, that is part of the reason I bought my ‘22 Tracer 9 GT. I’m happy to see that Yamaha is bringing the Tracer 9 GT+ to North America for those who want it. My hope though, is that they keep the option of the standard GT 9 available as currently is done overseas. Personally, I do not want the adaptive cruise. I also do not want my bike to augment the amount of braking I choose to apply, and I definitely do not want the bike to begin to accelerate on it’s own when I apply the turn signals to pass when the adaptive cruise is operating. I am all for ABS, including cornering ABS, and the semi active suspension adjusting damping for road conditions, and during braking to minimize front end dive, etc. But all of these things help support actions THAT I INSTITUTE; they do not take action on their own, (ie, braking and accelerating.) 

Having said that, I personally believe that Yamaha would sell a boat load of standard Tracer 9 GT’s if they simply added the new TFT dash and the toggle switch to replace that infernal selector wheel on the standard model. Until they do, I’ll happily keep my ‘22 model; it’s good enough to overlook those two things. 

• Thumbsup 3

In the car industry, if an option (e.g., GPS or fog lights) was turned on, it stays turned on for subsequent owners... after all, it was paid for by the previous guy.

With the Tracer, I'd have been happy to see the restyle with 30 litre saddlebags, regular cruise and improved fully adjustable suspension (manual)... similar to what Suzi did with the later V-Stroms.... new styling, tweaked fuel mapping/torque curves and improved on the already known proven suspension...... stayed a bit conservative on other things, you know the bike, and it just got better.  Now wait, who asked for those spoked wheels, I didn't, lol.  Dual sport wannabe's, like you're going off road much on one of those.  Marketing is sometimes humourous.  I'd still like to see the results of a survey if one were out there.

I have ACC in my car, I dislike it and don't find it particularly useful and it can be unsafe at times.  Definitely wouldn't want it on a bike, but hey, willing to hear reviews from actual users.

• Thumbsup 2

5 hours ago, betoney said:

Even the T7 isn't immune to the "new tech" invasion. 🤷🏻‍♂️

https://ridermagazine.com/2023/07/27/yamaha-announces-updated-tenere-700-other-returning-2024-models/

Getting closer to the version I'd actually buy.......still needs cruise and heated grips for me to add alongside My tracer. :) 

• Thumbsup 3

4 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Getting closer to the version I'd actually buy.......still needs cruise and heated grips for me to add alongside My tracer.

Yea I would be in the same boat. I was originally considering the Super Tenere but couldn't get or find a new model during the pandemic. So instead I opted for the new Tracer which I'm totally happy to have. But would still love to have a T7 for the off road capability, so having CC and heated grips would tip me over.

• Thumbsup 1

12 hours ago, robzilla said:

Yea I would be in the same boat. I was originally considering the Super Tenere but couldn't get or find a new model during the pandemic. So instead I opted for the new Tracer which I'm totally happy to have. But would still love to have a T7 for the off road capability, so having CC and heated grips would tip me over.

Yeah I hear ya, have owned a Vstrom 650, DR650 and a WR250......so many great off pavement roads in Ohio I miss exploring.

• Thumbsup 1

I had ACC on a rental van recently.  It was nice on a 2 lane road and on the interstate.  It also had lane keeping.  I felt like the lane keeping was aggressive and in heavy rain turned it off.  My Chevy Bolt has lane assist (or keeping) and is much more subtle and not intrusive.  The ACC was good but at times I really didn't like it.  Creeping traffic it could do OK but in stop and go it was not good.  At higher speeds like the interstate it would decelerate nicely and sometimes was surprised at how much it would brake.  However I never really trusted it.  In the right situation maybe on a motorcycle but generally not something I'd be desiring.  I used CC a lot on my Tracer and loved it.  It was great for interstates and two lane roads which I did many miles off in my long trips.  Good for keeping from creeping 10 or 20 faster than I intended to go.  

I've traveled extensively in Wyoming, Montana, SD, ND, Nebraska and Kansas.  There are lots of gravel roads in those states that would have loved to explore.  The time my BMW was broken down in Nebraska I had a rental car for a couple of days waiting on parts.  Did some exploring on gravel roads and it was fun.  Last September tried to ride a gravel road near Saint Mary at the eastern side of Glacier.  Turned around after 3 or 4 miles as was just too tired of the hassle and it was slow going.  Would have been easy in a car.  Despite the bike and I not liking gravel roads we still found many many wonderful miles of pavement to ride.  

The 9 GT+ is an incredible bike and is a fantastic package.  It is still the best sport touring bike IMO.  Small and light enough to really hustle thru the corners including the tight technical stuff but big and powerful enough to run the speeds most folks would want to run.  It won't make that blast to 160+ when fully loaded like some high HP bikes will but is still more than adequate.  I felt like my Tracer 900 GT was just as fast thru first as my CBR600RR or ZX6R 636 but aero did slow the acceleration above second gear.  Still a very fast bike even when loaded.  It's big attraction was good power and still light enough to make the quick right left or left right transitions and just a slight put on the bars had it turning into the corner.

Edited by PhotoAl
  • Thumbsup 1

On 8/1/2023 at 8:13 PM, PhotoAl said:

I had ACC on a rental van recently.  It was nice on a 2 lane road and on the interstate.  It also had lane keeping.  I felt like the lane keeping was aggressive and in heavy rain turned it off.  My Chevy Bolt has lane assist (or keeping) and is much more subtle and not intrusive.  The ACC was good but at times I really didn't like it.  Creeping traffic it could do OK but in stop and go it was not good.  At higher speeds like the interstate it would decelerate nicely and sometimes was surprised at how much it would brake.  However I never really trusted it.  In the right situation maybe on a motorcycle but generally not something I'd be desiring.  I used CC a lot on my Tracer and loved it.  It was great for interstates and two lane roads which I did many miles off in my long trips.  Good for keeping from creeping 10 or 20 faster than I intended to go.  

I've traveled extensively in Wyoming, Montana, SD, ND, Nebraska and Kansas.  There are lots of gravel roads in those states that would have loved to explore.  The time my BMW was broken down in Nebraska I had a rental car for a couple of days waiting on parts.  Did some exploring on gravel roads and it was fun.  Last September tried to ride a gravel road near Saint Mary at the eastern side of Glacier.  Turned around after 3 or 4 miles as was just too tired of the hassle and it was slow going.  Would have been easy in a car.  Despite the bike and I not liking gravel roads we still found many many wonderful miles of pavement to ride.  

The 9 GT+ is an incredible bike and is a fantastic package.  It is still the best sport touring bike IMO.  Small and light enough to really hustle thru the corners including the tight technical stuff but big and powerful enough to run the speeds most folks would want to run.  It won't make that blast to 160+ when fully loaded like some high HP bikes will but is still more than adequate.  I felt like my Tracer 900 GT was just as fast thru first as my CBR600RR or ZX6R 636 but aero did slow the acceleration above second gear.  Still a very fast bike even when loaded.  It's big attraction was good power and still light enough to make the quick right left or left right transitions and just a slight put on the bars had it turning into the corner.

Yeah pretty sure it would never do 160,,especially loaded ,,the thing about my 2020 is yes its plenty fast if your jamming through the gears  other wise she's pretty flat till rpms get up around 7K

0-100 I can go toe to toe with my brothers 1000R,but after that hes gone ,,but say we are side by side 60 mph and twist it I eat his dust ,,the bmw has a dynamic power band 

• Thumbsup 1