Yamaha USA Announces 2024 Tracer 9 GT+

Yeah the Garmin navigation seems like a non-starter to me.   I had a Zumo XT and its route finding was absurdly horrible.  It would route me to a completely different state on a multi-hour route to destination and skipped an incredible motorcycle route that was otherwise 40 minutes.  Garmin customer service was able to recreate the issue but had no answer.  That wasn't the only glaring anomaly.   Needless to say, I've lost all confidence in Garmin navigation.  So the fee-for-feature doesn't phase me in this case.   Apple Car Play would be way more useful to me.  

Edit to add:  Not that I'm saying I wish it had Apple Car Play!  This bike has more than enough tech as it is.  

Edited by Toei

7 hours ago, OldBikers said:

You need to use Trip Planner or Basecamp to program a correct route in the Garmin Zumo XT.  Using Where To will get you into places you didn't plan on going. 😁

Yes apparently!  For my needs if the device can't figure out the correct route on its own then I have no use for it.  I'm pretty spur-of-moment/ad-hoc versus planning everything in advance.   I'm sure it works brilliantly for those who have the time and inclination to complete the additional steps.  

9 hours ago, Toei said:

Yes apparently!  For my needs if the device can't figure out the correct route on its own then I have no use for it.  I'm pretty spur-of-moment/ad-hoc versus planning everything in advance.   I'm sure it works brilliantly for those who have the time and inclination to complete the additional steps.  

The XT does a very good job calculating routes but it goes by the Navigation setting you input.  By default it programs the fastest route which takes you on mostly highways even if you slide it to aggressive ride.  Even when using Trip Planner you need to override the computer's selection of roads.  But if you're a hop-on and go rider the XT will give you the Fastest or Shortest route depending on your Navigation setting.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
17 hours ago, OldBikers said:

You need to use Trip Planner or Basecamp to program a correct route in the Garmin Zumo XT.  Using Where To will get you into places you didn't plan on going. 😁

9 hours ago, Toei said:

I don't use the Zumo model but have used nothing but Garmin models in all of my vehicles for nearly 15 years, they are in my work vehicle, personal vehicle, on my motorcycles,- street and dirt and I wear one on my wrist.  I have 'retired' a few models over the years but still currently own 5 different models.

I have never used Base camp, I currently use the Garmin 'Drive" app to program my routes into the device and it works flawlessly.  Its quick and easy enough to use that I have planned a days ride in the hotel parking lot while getting my gear on.

As mentioned, Garmins route you based on the devise route settings, quickest or shortest route but they also have "route shaping" that allows you to touch the screen to add stops or move your current route.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

7 hours ago, OldBikers said:

The XT does a very good job calculating routes but it goes by the Navigation setting you input.  By default it programs the fastest route which takes you on mostly highways even if you slide it to aggressive ride.  Even when using Trip Planner you need to override the computer's selection of roads.  But if you're a hop-on and go rider the XT will give you the Fastest or Shortest route depending on your Navigation setting.

This wasn't my experience at all.  I had the "avoid interstates" option turned on.  I wanted to go from Woodland WA to Longview WA via some county roads, I already know the way but was testing the Zumo.  Instead of going north to Longview, it sent me south all the way to Oregon (!!!), put me on both I84 and I5 for part of the route (after sending me east up the Columbia River Gorge for some distance), before returning north to eventually get to Longview.  Google Maps in motorcycle mode would do the correct route perfectly every time (including Green Mountain Rd, which is awesome on a motorcycle).

If I were going to the coast via Longview and SR4, somehow the Zumo would figure out the correct route for the return trip, but never the initial trip.  Google Maps in motorcycle mode would route correctly for both legs.  I made sure the Zumo was updated.  

I had a sweet mount and wiring setup I'd done on my T7 for the Zumo XT, I really wanted to make it work.  In the end it was a very expensive lesson learned (sold for a big loss on eBay).  

I'd had many Garmin Nuvi's in both work and personal vehicles over the years and generally had good routing results so I was baffled that the newer model was so much worse.  Although with those I just left in the default "fastest route" mode.  

Edited by Toei
  • Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve begun using Calimoto which is a biker-specific gps on your phone. IMHO dedicated satnavs are a ripoff where you can pay maybe £500/$600 for a unit but all I hear online are complaints; especially related to Garmin Basecamp. So I took the plunge and paid all of €35 for an annual subscription and I’m glad I did. It’s not perfect but it does what I want for a fraction of the cost. Check it out www.Calimoto.com

On 9/6/2023 at 8:15 PM, Paddy01 said:

I’ve begun using Calimoto which is a biker-specific gps on your phone

The main problem I have with phone-based apps is that smart phones don't treat the GPS app as the most important thing going on. On my phone at least I can get popups and alerts for things like phone calls or overtemp warnings or low battery or calendar reminders and all sorts of other guff that randomly pops up on top of the GPS app. One time my BT helmet kept thinking I wanted to play music and the music app player control kept popping up on the screen. Boy was that annoying.

I'm also not sure how wise it is to have a $500+ smart phone exposed to all manner of weather and vibrations over the long term. (Yes I know about the anti-vibration mounts).

I also find that the touch-interface on a smart phone is very hit and miss. Mostly miss, when you're wearing thick winter or wet-weather over-gloves.

Now if you're just cruising down the hwy with some of those fancy touch-sensitive gloves on a pleasant sunny day, with time to burn if your smart phone has a bit of a glitch, then I'm sure a smart phone app is fine.

But if you're in inclement weather or in situations where it's hard to stop, such as being part of convoy or in the middle of a busy city or on a "no stopping" expressway or on a dark country road with high-speed traffic whooshing by, then you could find yourself riding without a functioning GPS app at the most inconvenient of times.

So yeah, the apps are great, but a smart-phone platform is definitely sub-optimal when you absolutely rely on the GPS working in challenging situations.

• Thumbsup 4

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like an awesome bike and I'll probably get one if they ever get here, but why did they have to make it look like one of my grandsons transformer toys and then paint it like an Amazon delivery truck?. Hopefully it will look a little better irl than it does in the pix. If yamaha can get riders away from  Ducati why can't they gey a designer or two?

• Premium Member

The thread has gotten off track with GPS. But anyway, somebody's got to explain to me how to use that gamin app. I Brian

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/models.php?product=204&action=features

The engine architecture really hasn't changed

Other than the airbox, there's a couple of gear ratios and and the A&S maybe.

What's different that's not digitally driven?

Agree from an engine view between '21-22 and the new '23+, not much change. There is the 3rd gen QuickShifter w/gear ratios if that counts.

The rest is window dressing... seat, windshield, color. After that, yes all digital improvements.

I suppose the unified brake system can maybe count as well not being digital. More for the ACC but looks like it can be controlled without it via Brake Control (BC) settings.

Edited by robzilla

• 1 month later...

I’ve now owned a Tracer 900 GT+ for nearly 3 months (UK) and done slightly over 1000 miles. I’ve previously owned a series of  4 FJRs going back to 2005 and, for me, it was the ideal two up touring bike but unfortunately it’s no longer available because of non compliance with Euro5. I actually replaced it with a BMW R1250RT which is a very good bike, but prone to lots of little niggles. In addition to the tourer I like to run a second bike that is lighter and more fun in the twisties, and the Tracer replaced a Kawasaki Z900RS that I owned for 5 years (great bike).

One of the reasons for changing was the possibility of it being a two up European tourer to compete with the RT, and it might work if I can come to terms with its obvious touring compromises (luggage space, pillion seat, weather protection in the main). It’s a tremendous bike to ride, and I sense the power is on a par with my FJRS. Very economical. In short, Tracer 900 GT with a plus, and it’s the plus where the issues lie.

First off the ACC is great, though less useful than in my DSG car where it is fantastic in stop start traffic, simply because being manual it can’t take you down to a stop in the way DSG can. Nevertheless, it works well once you’re used to its limitations, and I think once you’re used to it you’ll wonder how you ever did without it. The assisted braking thing is something I haven’t felt kick in, as it’s only an assist and only functions if you are already braking. As for the Garmin, it’s disappointing. It has just three route options; fastest, shortest, and straight line (whatever the hell use this last one is!) and no winding route option. It’s slow to connect, even once you’ve sussed the tricky connection issues, and there’s no pocket for your phone so charging from the dash mounted USB is extremely inconvenient (really requires a Quadlock). As has been pointed out it requires an annual subscription, unlike CarPlay. Remaining range, incidentally, only works through the Garmin, though even then only when you’re not navigating (I think), but I’m inclined to ditch the integrated Garmin and go for a standalone unit (probably TomTom as I’m more familiar with that).

All in all a great bike, with genuinely useful tech, but disappointing GPS, as every manufacturer who’s tried going it alone, as opposed to CarPlay, has found.

• Thumbsup 4

Owner of the new GT+ for 3 weeks but actually only rode it for 3 days straight. Now it's with me again.

Regarding Garmin app, don't even bother. My 20 years old (or so) Zumo 550 does better and it's already falling apart with a bit of duck tape and pencil bits as buttons. Original battery (yes, really). That's all you guys need to know about the Garmin app.

The ACC however... The ACC works wonders. It does NOT replace you being aware and of course, a bike falls to the side so yeah, not the same as a car in traffic.

According to Yamaha, it'll never apply throttle or decelerate more than 0.3G. Enough to still feel the push/pull but manageable. Just keep your hands on the handle bar 😛

If the difference in speed is too much when someone cuts you off (for example) a big orange alarm will flash on the dash. Unlike cars that won't tip to the side, it won't work below 30kph and above 160Kph. It really works VERY well, even if in front there's another motorcycle. I only use it in motorways for safety reasons. It's awesome to give the right hand a rest every now and then.

The manual does mention odd shaped vehicles in front and corners as things that might make ACC weird so, again, hands on the handlebar. But this really isn't different from my car. No system is perfect but since my car is not even adaptive, this is better :)

For deceleration first it will use engine brake (which is a lot and very good to not waste brake pads commuting :D), then will gradually apply the brakes if needed and it'll even help you to use the full potential of the brakes in emergencies - it is NOT crash avoidance system. The system will disengage only if you move the throttle forward, use the brakes or if you press the clutch more than 1s. You can change gears using QS up or down, or even use the clutch without worries as ACC will continue to work.

If my SuperTen First Edition had ACC and quick shifter back then i'd still have it but this one is a worthy successor. It does everything well except no Android Auto and apparently not good for stunt riding, go figure :D Ask Sarah Lezito if in doubt ;)
Anyway, don't even think about it. It does work if you ride as you normally would. Same with the brakes. the bike really does it's best at keeping that rubber down and you notice it. It's brilliant in how everything is fitted together without being intrusive. Even the ABS is not as intrusive as in the SuperTen, for example. Just drive.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

New 2024 GT+ owner here from the States (previously had a 2015 FJ-09 and 2020 Tracer 900 GT).

I rented at 2023 GT+ for two weeks and knew I wanted to trade in the 900 GT.  The biggest benefits for me was the ACC and the bi-directional QS.  I watched Cycle Trader and noticed a lot of GT+ bikes were showing up at the dealerships.  I knew COVID-era pricing was over when I saw a T7 on the showroom floor!

My only niggle is the shape of the saddlebags.  At least they are bigger than the 900's.  The adapter plate for the top box isn't available yet :(

• Thumbsup 1