Yamaha USA Announces 2024 Tracer 9 GT+

42 minutes ago, Heli ATP said:

Nice! Although in my zip code / area many of the dealers still have a lot of '22 inventory so won't see one for awhile. Would love to just demo test ride and see how the ACC is. So far I'm happy with my non plus '22 T9GT.

• Thumbsup 2

The Tracer has definitely moved upscale from when I bought my 2019 GT.    It's a lot of bike, but the price sure has gone up.  

• Thumbsup 5
  • Haha 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

16 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

The Tracer has definitely moved upscale from when I bought my 2019 GT.    It's a lot of bike, but the price sure has gone up.  

Really hasn't for what all you are getting.......helluva deal IMHO.

• Thumbsup 5

Getting a little to junked up.... do not need or want ACC or radar braking, nor the C$20,700 price.  Yes it needed a new display the prior split screens were "weird".  Keep it simple Yamaha, who do you think you are competing with, BMW?

• Thumbsup 4

• Supporting Member
32 minutes ago, RaYzerman said:

Getting a little to junked up....   Keep it simple Yamaha, who do you think you are competing with, BMW?

In North America, Yamaha tried to "keep it simple" in 2019 by offering a simple bare-bones Tracer in addition to the GT.  The buying public bought the GT while the basic Tracer took up valuable showroom space until finally Yamaha decided to liquidate them nationwide by cutting the price to $8700. 

A lot of customers bought them at a discount and then added parts to bring them up to GT spec anyway... the basic model hasn't been offered in NA since.

Talking with some BMW owners, their bikes are initially advertised as basic models with "build your own" options available but good luck finding a basic one on the dealer show room, very few want the basic model so the ones on the showroom already have 1 or 2 of the up-sell option packages included, unless you specifically order it direct.

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

11 hours ago, RaYzerman said:

Getting a little to junked up.... do not need or want ACC or radar braking, nor the C$20,700 price.  Yes it needed a new display the prior split screens were "weird".  Keep it simple Yamaha, who do you think you are competing with, BMW?

On par or even better perhaps? Yamaha is the one Japanese company that is offering similar bikes and specs to the Euro stuff.........KEEP IT UP!!!!

Edited by Ride365
  • Thumbsup 4

@betoney Good reminder about when two trim lines were offered in the US.  Not having CC on the base model was perhaps its main detriment.  If Yamaha were to offer 2 trims again, the GT (non-plus) could be closer to that 2019 GT.  So, standard (non-radar) CC plus fully adjustable/non-electronic suspension, and non-linked brakes.  The cost savings would be significant (look up the parts prices of the current active-dampening fork assemblies), and many riders would be happy with that configuration.  Long-term reliability would be better too.  Of course include the new screen and keep the IMU

Sadly, it's not going to happen any time soon, if ever.  The flood of 2022 models still on the US market and the past history you cite ensure that.

• Thumbsup 2

I found the Yamaha UK bike configurator tool interesting for A/B visual comparison between the GT and the GT+.  Open in two separate browser tabs and click between them.  Something that jumped out is the new seat profile seems to have more of a downward slope than before?!  I've only test-ridden a Tracer and didn't get a good sense of the seat, but I know a lot of people complain about that.  On a positive note, the GT+ has much larger foot pegs.  

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/gb/en/products/motorcycles/sport-touring/tracer-9-gt-2023/configurator/

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/gb/en/products/motorcycles/sport-touring/tracer-9-gt-plus-2023/configurator/?parts=B5C-854A3-00-00,B5U-H54A5-00-00&code=MT09TRDX&color=PGD&year=2023

• Thumbsup 1

21 hours ago, RaYzerman said:

Dude I was just about to say the same thing ,,except for a new display you can keep all the other gimmicks 

If Yamaha  would just upgrade the display on standard GT they would sell more bikes ,IMO,,and some better colors

• Thumbsup 1

In my opinion, Yamaha got caught up in the “yeah but” syndrome. “Yeah but the Tracer  doesnt have this feature like brand xxx has”

The poser crowd couldnt handle that. 
I also wonder if all that gizmo stuff will give inexperienced riders a false  sense of safety. 

Today, was the first time in my long riding experience I wanted lift control and lean traction control control…….on my 04 track R1. Front wanted to come up even at 120. 1000cc’s sport bikes gots some power, geezz.

• Thumbsup 1

Perhaps put it another way.... what is your ideal bike these days, in this segment...... mine is cruise control non-ACC, ABS brakes, good adjustable suspension (non-electronic), saddlebags, a good seat (virtually no motorcycle has a good factory seat), a good dash layout that keeps it simple and not having to play with it like a tablet... then price it accordingly.  In other words, just make it functional and not a gizmo-mobile.  Remember the pricing on the 2020 GT was C$15,300.  Now they want nearly $21k for a bike that has features one doesn't need or want.  That takes this one right off my list of potential bikes.  Which begs the question, has any bike manufacturer surveyed anyone to see what they really want?

• Thumbsup 4

I'm pretty sure that most OEM's are building bikes that people want. The FJR and the Super Ten are a bit outdated machines no matter how good they still may be, the new Tracer is Yamaha's flagship sport touring bike now........how or why is that a problem? Keep your older FJ9 or Tracer if you like it that much, but folks I hate to break it to ya........technology isn't slowing down just because a few don't like what features and gadgets come on bikes now. Should be plenty of lower mileage "classic" Tracers out there for the owners that want less, the rest of us will get with the times and enjoy such.......it is what it is. The T7 has been a HUGE success for Yamaha, and that machine for sure isn't loaded with all the gizmos and tech, they built a bike that many were indeed asking for. Most owners don't put many miles on their bikes overall, so again there are plenty of lower mileage well maintained classic machines out there to buy on the cheap. ;) 

Look at all the tech on full blown sport bikes now, I am sure that most owners aren't complaining about that. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Ride365 said:

The T7 has been a HUGE success for Yamaha, and that machine for sure isn't loaded with all the gizmos and tech, they built a bike that many were indeed asking for.

Even the T7 isn't immune to the "new tech" invasion. 🤷🏻‍♂️

https://ridermagazine.com/2023/07/27/yamaha-announces-updated-tenere-700-other-returning-2024-models/

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***