Yamaha USA Announces 2024 Tracer 9 GT+

On 8/11/2023 at 7:02 PM, piotrek said:

You could just opt to use the system as you would a standard CC... with little traffic and all moving at decent speed. I like it in my car, but as soon as things slow down enough for me to need to shift down a gear or two, I defeat it and wait until things open up again. It was a bit of a learning curve for sure. Lane changes and passing especially. Having said all that... I am curious how this would feel/work on a motorcycle.

Unfortunately as robzilla posted above, it's either ACC or no cruise, no choice.  Same for the radar unified braking.... you're stuck with what they give you.  So, no GT+ for me, and IMHO they should have brought the GT model here as a choice.  I'd recommend reading the owner's manual pages for full description of features.

Edited by RaYzerman

Wow, if thats is for sure about ACC only….Yamaha screwed up big time. 

I use CC alot just to go slow at times for sightseeing or such.  Ill stick it in 4th, enage CC around 29 and just putt along. 

Big mistake Yamaha……

I agree Yamaha missed the mark, and apparently assumed everyone would prefer the ACC.  All it would take would be an additional CC mode in software to not include the radar.  Having two GT versions in the US was never going to happen considering how low-volume this model seems to be here.  

It's not a deal breaker for me, however.  The next closest competitor for me is the Versys 1000, and having driven the current US versions of both the Tracer still separates itself (although Versys is a great bike in many ways).  

• Thumbsup 1

So, does ACC need to “see” a car to work?  Theres gonna be times there is no one in front of you. 
Does it work like regular CC until a car is in front of you then goes into ACC?

just curious as I have no experience with ACC in a car or motorcycle. 

My wife's Toyota has a radar assisted cruise control; the idea is if the radar sensor sees an object in front of the car that is too close, the car will automatically apply the brake. 

Sometimes, the object will be a parked car, or a mailbox or other object that is around a curve and is sensed as being in front of the car.  I do not like the system; there is a way to not have the radar help turned on.

Ugh, I'm starting to waiver a little in my conviction to get the new Tracer.  Already placed a deposit.  I definitely don't want the 22 model - the crappy switch gear and display is a deal breaker on that one.  

I wonder how much electromagnetic radiation the rider soaks up with the radar on all the time?  At least there is the ability to turn it off completely, if I remember right.  But of course no CC without it coming back on.   

Edit: Confirmed on page 5-32 of the manual that by turning off Brake Control, both the linked brakes (Unified Braking System) and radar-linked ABS are disabled.  It just operates in standard ABS with no linked brakes at that point.  So that's something.

Now I wonder what happens if you have brake control turned off, but use the ACC?  Does brake control come back on?

Edited by Toei

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, etex said:

My wife's Toyota has a radar assisted cruise control; the idea is if the radar sensor sees an object in front of the car that is too close, the car will automatically apply the brake. 

Sometimes, the object will be a parked car, or a mailbox or other object that is around a curve and is sensed as being in front of the car.  I do not like the system; there is a way to not have the radar help turned on.

Funny, I recently had a new Toyota rental with ACC and was really impressed as it had no false readings. When I tried ACC in a 2015 Volvo years ago I hated it for some of the reasons metioned above. The following video (posted earlier in another thread) shows how the ACC works at 5:30 min and gets high praise at the 31 min mark.

I drove a friend's new Rav4 with ACC on a two-day trip and it was mostly good, but there were a couple of instances on left-hand curves of the interstate where the radar picked up a decelerating vehicle on an off-ramp and slowed the car down suddenly.    

Of course on a motorcycle I'd be more concerned than in a car with any anomalous behavior from the ACC.  Yamaha includes a LOT of warnings in the manual on various situations which could cause unexpected behavior.  You'd think with all those known situations they would have realized it might be a good idea to be able to use CC without radar!

In my car, it brakes unless the car in front is moving faster. Then it will wait if there will be enough distance between you and the other car in some time and keep the current speed. If it takes too long it will slow down a bit to get the required distance.

ACC is no autopilot, when a situation appears where it could start interfering, you can open the throttle a bit and it will refrain from interfering. You are the driver, you control your bike. Getting to know how it works and understanding take a bit of time. But in the end it works 95% as it should, the other 5% you just take over. You were driving anyway.

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member

I would think even with standard CC, MOST  riders aren’t using it in busy traffic or congested freeway instead using it out on the open highway where you can set it and relax, (maybe I’m wrong in assuming that?). I use CC every time I ride at least once during the ride but not when other vehicles are around me. 

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I agree I use my bike CC mostly on a free road, because there it is of value. Otherwise you would constantly turn it on/off depending on traffic.

But ACC as in my car, I use it multiple times, just because it adapts to traffic.

Will see after Saturday, as I will get my GT+. See how often I will use it compared to my car.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, Fleng said:

Saturday, as I will get my GT+

Congrats!  Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

Watching a few more ride reviews and reading the manual, this is a surprise for me... it appears you have to pay for the Garmin Motorize service to use the built-in Garmin GPS/SatNav. WTH?!?  Similar to newer cars, you paid for it including the features, why do you have to subscribe to use the feature?!  Also be sure you check your phone and OS and app availability, seems it won't work on all phones.

Anyway, just peeling another layer off the onion like the ACC...