What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, kilo3 said:

What makes it worse 15/45 is the perfect combo for chain wear as well.

Based on recommendations by chain manufacturers and what I've also read, a 16 tooth and larger sprocket provides better chain longevity because their larger diameter reduces link inpingement; less acute pivoting.  It may not sound like much but 10s of thousands of rotations of incrementally greater bending adds up.  That's why most front sprockets are 16T.

• Thumbsup 2

When I was a kid (supposedly a long time ago) I switched out my front sprocket on my dirt bike for one that was one tooth smaller.  You see, I had a buddy with a similarly fast bike, and I was looking for faster acceleration to consistently beat his @ss.  So I stealthy upgraded to the smaller sprocket.  A solo test ride confirmed this thing now screamed.  Fast up shifts and wild acceleration.  It was time to go ride with my unsuspecting buddy.

Unbelievably, I was now getting smoked.  Every time we accelerated.  Every time.  What seemed faster riding alone was actually an aural and seat-of-the-pants hoax.  Riding together it was painfully obvious I made a horrible mistake, my bike now much slower, much to the amusement of my buddy.  Getting roosted was my punishment for the rest of the riding day. 

My misfortune ended with the stock sprocket being reinstalled that evening.  The Universe had tipped back into balance.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Based on recommendations by chain manufacturers and what I've also read, a 16 tooth and larger sprocket provides better chain longevity because their larger diameter reduces link inpingement; less acute pivoting.  It may not sound like much but 10s of thousands of rotations of incrementally greater bending adds up.  That's why most front sprockets are 16T.

Horse a piece, 16/45 has a lot of repeating patterns for same link same tooth. I'd always take more acceleration and even wear but Yamaha didn't think that one through, wonder if it was incompetence, safety, or emissions that kicks the cc off.  ;)

Anyhow, my boy changed the brake pads out for me sorta, his shop rates range from pancakes to Oreos.

PXL_20220430_155839188.jpg

PXL_20220430_161143326.jpg

Edited by kilo3
  • Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Ride On said:

When I was a kid (supposedly a long time ago) I switched out my front sprocket on my dirt bike for one that was one tooth smaller.  You see, I had a buddy with a similarly fast bike, and I was looking for faster acceleration to consistently beat his @ss.  So I stealthy upgraded to the smaller sprocket.  A solo test ride confirmed this thing now screamed.  Fast up shifts and wild acceleration.  It was time to go ride with my unsuspecting buddy.

Unbelievably, I was now getting smoked.  Every time we accelerated.  Every time.  What seemed faster riding alone was actually an aural and seat-of-the-pants hoax.  Riding together it was painfully obvious I made a horrible mistake, my bike now much slower, much to the amusement of my buddy.  Getting roosted was my punishment for the rest of the riding day. 

My misfortune ended with the stock sprocket being reinstalled that evening.  The Universe had tipped back into balance.

Smaller front sprocket will result in quicker acceleration but lower top speed, corner to corner, you should have beat him.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Got out riding!   If today wasn't national motorcycle day it should have been.  EVERYBODY was out everywhere!

Every place I went I wound up in a group of riders. It was great.

Had to gas up with E10 mid grade.  NEVER put a whole $20 in my tank. this has to stop!

So I immediately notice the drop in power/throttle response.  I run around in standard mode with E0. Had to switch to A mode to get the response back. At least that's an option for me. 

My pusher now wants $5 a gallon for 90 octane E0.  Might stop running it till prices drop. If they ever do.  Don't get me started.

Great day to ride!

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, kilo3 said:

Horse a piece, 16/45 has a lot of repeating patterns for same link same tooth. I'd always take more acceleration and even wear but Yamaha didn't think that one through, wonder if it was incompetence, safety, or emissions that kicks the cc off.  ;)

Anyhow, my boy changed the brake pads out for me sorta, his shop rates range from pancakes to Oreos.

PXL_20220430_155839188.jpg

PXL_20220430_161143326.jpg

Cute as a button.

Keep him involved and hands on.

In a dozen years he'll be riding along side you.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

Got out riding!   If today wasn't national motorcycle day it should have been.  EVERYBODY was out everywhere!

Every place I went I wound up in a group of riders. It was great.

Had to gas up with E10 mid grade.  NEVER put a whole $20 in my tank. this has to stop!

So I immediately notice the drop in power/throttle response.  I run around in standard mode with E0. Had to switch to A mode to get the response back. At least that's an option for me. 

My pusher now wants $5 a gallon for 90 octane E0.  Might stop running it till prices drop. If they ever do.  Don't get me started.

Great day to ride!

In East Troy, WI, about the nearest 91 Octane E0 to me (75 miles), it's about $4.89 a gallon.  Cheapest 91 E10 near me is $5.79 at a BP where they reneged on 10 cents back per gallon for card holders!

20 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Picked it up from the shop, now $650 poorer. We've got confirmation now though: at least for the 2019 Tracer 900GT, a fifteen tooth front sprocket for 15/45 gearing will break the factory cruise control.  

Bummer, I suppose, but at least your Cruise Control is back and wasn't actually "broken". 

• Thumbsup 1

18 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I thought you were going to fit and test the 16 BEFORE you took it in?!  What did they charge you for, 4.5 hours of labor? 🤔

It was already in the shop - it was an option to take the bike back and try the old 16 on myself, but I figured it wasn't really worth the hassle as even if it did work, I'd need to order a new 16t sprocket and locknut anyways, then change it AGAIN once they arrived... ugh.  And even if I did the above that, my bill would have ended up pretty similar (less 1hr labour).

They spent 9 hours testing looking for the problem before we got to the sprocket as a "last guess" sort of thing (and I've got all the data logger results and diagnostics for neat bedtime reading) - of which I had to pay two hours labor.  Plus a new sprocket and locknut (my old one having been off and on a few times), and another hour labor for swapping the sprocket + locknut and testing.  $125/hr labour, shop supplies, taxes, sprocket, locknut.  

I'd have saved ~$150 if I'd tested with my old sprocket, I'd guess, but... eh, at that point, I just wanted my CC back and I had the T7 to ride while I waited.  And of course if the problem still existed with the 16 tooth (which honestly I kind of expected) then that would have been a huge waste of time and hassle, and the cost wouldn't have mattered because it'd almost certainly have been a warranty issue.  

• Thumbsup 1

11 hours ago, peteinpa said:

Wow!  On both the labor cost and on why the cruise knows/cares what gearing you have.

Surprising that a worn tire doesn't cause it. Weird. 🤔🤪

There's a big gap before it happens.  A 16/47 gearing doesn't cause the problem, for example; so there's a fair bit of leeway.  But at 15/45... yep.

6 hours ago, Ride On said:

At 16/47 on the Tracer, I was side by side with my buddies Hayabusa up to 140kph, and I definitely wasn't prior.  Also, the 16/47 actually netted me +10kph in top speed as well (power v. drag, as you can't get anywhere close to redlining the bike with stock gearing in 6th)

You can definitely go to low, of course.  You start significantly losing top speed, and you're shifting more.  For the Tracer with a quickshifter the later is not really a problem however.

Adjusted and lubed the chain, and fired her up and went for the first ride of the season (we have had a brutal spring with several late snowfalls).  Almost a month later than last year.  Only my second ride with the new Corbin seat that arrived right at the end of the season last year.  What a difference.  Sooooo much more comfortable.  I don't notice a significant difference in seating height, but I do notice that the Corbin pushes me a bit forward compared to the stock plank. Even though I'm 6'3" that does not present a problem (just had to adjust the mirrors).  Although I haven't ridden for more than about 40 minutes with this seat, I think it is going to be a huge difference from stock on longer days.

Had one other little issue today; my key bent in the lock of one of the side cases, and afterward I couldn't get it to work in the ignition.  Had a bit of a problem getting it to work when I started the bike a couple of weeks ago, so I guess this was coming on previously, but today it suddenly was really bent, and even after I straightened it up as best I could, it just wouldn't turn the ignition lock.  No problem in the seat or side case locks, however.  I have no idea how I managed to bend the darn thing.  Oh well, had the spare, and the code for a new one.  Will get a couple, I think. 

Took Warchild-wife out on the Yamaha today to score the first of many 2022 Tour of Honor locations this summer. For 2022, she has her own flag (554) to hold next to mine as we score these Locations with the mandatory combo of bike/flag/memorial in the photo.

ToH_Hunt.thumb.jpg.fdcee77edb0c4e7643c8b2b0e45373b8.jpg

Below is the official Tour of Honor site "WA7" in Zillah, WA. This Memorial honor veterans of all Wars, it is a very impressive site to walk through, There is a classic bronze statute of "Rifle, Boots, Helmet" at the end of this walkway, it's very sobering:

WA7.thumb.jpg.2524b7cd68b666f8e58a5b45bcb795ca.jpg

9/11 Memorial (911-0072), the Twin Aluminum Towers guarded by twin bronze eagles in Granger, WA:

Grange9-11.thumb.jpg.21a5d153a88a2ecef7f46767a2654735.jpg

9/11 Memorial (911-0786), Artifact beam from the 9-11 site embedded in concrete block inscription, Prosser Fire Station, Prosser, WA:

Prosser_9-11.thumb.jpg.e409e3c2a1d271861bb40c1d64d4483b.jpg

9/11 Memorial (911-0072). These are several 30-foot, 6,000 pound steel columns recovered from the Twin Towers. This Memorial is located in Kennewick, WA

Kennewick9-11.thumb.jpg.2605c74eb51d218ad913531ea4ae4f5c.jpg

If you want more info on the Tour of Honor, here you go: 

https://www.tourofhonor.com/

• Thumbsup 5
  • Like 1

I always struggled to turn my bike around in the garage.. I finally broke down and ordered these:

https://www.dynamotousa.com/?utm_source=mailchimp&utm_campaign=02002ac2e1f0&utm_medium=ad&gclid=Cj0KCQiArt6PBhCoARIsAMF5wagyisYGGDWksoee5oAoi79c4dpbLjlLaNKmE4B8cCEEFV8-XQnZaicaAhMyEALw_wcB#

Very well engineered and a high quality product. Now I can spin the bike around with ease..

IMG_1018.thumb.jpeg.2d35cb799374bbf0244486e6683afb7c.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1