• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

Question:  will this mushroom fix save the tire and allow it to be used with confIdence at high speed?

or is it just a get home type of fix.

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

12 minutes ago, nhchris said:

Question:  will this mushroom fix save the tire and allow it to be used with confIdence at high speed?

giphy.gif

Edited by kilo3
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, nhchris said:

It will be ok. It's a permanent fix.

• Thumbsup 2

21 hours ago, nhchris said:

It's what some may call "a lifetime repair".

• Thumbsup 1

On 5/17/2022 at 6:30 PM, kilo3 said:

giphy.gif

This does get heated sometimes, but honestly I feel it's really in the "Has lots of money and is happy spending it on a surplus of caution" vs "everyone else"

I mean, if I could afford to just replace every tire that got a leak (if I even had puncture issues) then I'd replace them.  But tires are stupid expensive.  What @betoney pays for a set of T32's get's me just one Shinko, so I'd absolutely patch. 

It's extremely common for these to be considered a lifetime repair.  It's a lot safer than a rope plug, and people use those for thousands of miles.  Basically, as long as it's in the bulk of the tire and not close to the sidewall, it's fine. 

Basically, the consensus normally is: A rope plug will get you to somewhere you can plug and patch properly, but what you want to consider the repair permanent is some sort of internal patch that can't be pushed out by the natural flexing of the tire.  

But you'll always have That Guy who's all "I'd never continue riding on a tire that's been damaged at all, as it's no longer as strong as it was."  He's not wrong per say, it's just a pretty extreme view and not really realistic for normal people.  

The reality is that a puncture that's NOT right by the sidewall is not going to catastrophically fail, at worst if it's plugged poorly it may however leak.  Any well done patch job ought to be fine though; if it holds air it holds air.  

I added a set of Heed lower engine guards today. Very good manufacturing, welding, finish,,fitment, and shipping protection.  I got a link from someone from this forum. Thanks. Ordered from Europe without issue. Used a set of chocks and a small jack to support the engine while I pulled the motormount bolts (one side at a time). Had a tough time with the last upper bolt. I figured the engine was hanging low, but no, it was high. Pried up on the frame until I could start the bolt by hand. All in all an easy install that I like the look of.

AE860E78-FA05-4D46-9732-AFB7230B6BD1.jpeg

897AA779-99D5-44D2-9C11-AD734783DB57.jpeg

• Thumbsup 6
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

If the Heed were available for my 15 back then, I'd have maybe got them over the Givi.

The Heed offer Much better acces to the left side crank plug.

Not sure I like the nylon slider though which you me can catch on road irregularities and whatnot though it is behind a bar and short.  Also not as good to mount driving lights and hiway pegs.

Nice 2nd fastest red color but the 22 red is close.

12 hours ago, Duanus said:

I added a set of Heed lower engine guards today. Very good manufacturing, welding, finish,,fitment, and shipping protection.  I got a link from someone from this forum. Thanks. Ordered from Europe without issue. Used a set of chocks and a small jack to support the engine while I pulled the motormount bolts (one side at a time). Had a tough time with the last upper bolt. I figured the engine was hanging low, but no, it was high. Pried up on the frame until I could start the bolt by hand. All in all an easy install that I like the look of.

AE860E78-FA05-4D46-9732-AFB7230B6BD1.jpeg

897AA779-99D5-44D2-9C11-AD734783DB57.jpeg

I've got Heed bars on my T7, and I'm *extremely* happy with the quality there.  If I'd known they existed at all when I bought my Tracer I for sure would have gotten them instead of the Givi bars.  Way higher build quality - comparing the two isn't really even fair; the Givi bars look cheap and crappy in comparison even at a distance.  Welds, paint/powdercoat quality, tubing wall thickness.  

• Thumbsup 1

I added the Givi Windshield with the deflector lip. It's small and looks better than my V Stream Touring. However, I think I'm going to go with function over form and go back to the V Stream. 

$60 shipped. PM Me.

88D34C3E-F93A-497B-B08C-8CD6A649C1CF Large.jpeg

377E8BFB-A060-4171-9D0D-BEE6AC4E7D2C Large.jpeg

B1F9C3F0-966D-4150-81E3-25608FD1B2C6 Large.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1