What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

hah every BMW GS owner I know has absolutely insane aftermarket lighting.  Usually $350-$500 worth.  Always name brand/oem dealer installed setups. 

If they only spent $500, they got the budget lights. 

https://www.clearwaterlights.com/collections/bmw

Ok... the problem with Ebay/Amazon lights isn't the light output but the beam forming and where that light is aimed (and sometimes temperature/color, waterproofness, etc.). I chose to pay $200 for the PIAAs because of their DOT legal claim - I can aim that light where I want it with cutoff. 

• Thumbsup 1

I rattle can painted the white "wings" on my bike a satin black.  Removed stickers and emblem, hand sanded, painted, replace the "Tracer" and the emblem, left off the "goo".  I didn't like it much and it wasn't salvageable anyway.  Maybe it could've been, but I didn't try hard.  Anyway, very happy with the results, came out looking like a professional paint job somehow. 

tracer wings.jpg

Edited by Jfundo
  • Thumbsup 9

• Premium Member

Form before function

When underway on a twisty road you'd really feel how much better it could be with braided lines, HH+ pads and possibly 320 mm rotors and a radial MC, fork springs n tweaks and a quality shock, different levers, bars and/or risers, a sleeker or bigger shield, nicer saddle, and maybe an ECU flash.

Whereas your paint job is nice and inexpensive, you can't see or feel from the saddle...  😉

I'm just a mean old man whose eyes are no longer drawn to a pretty face, now a solid chassis and svelte running gear that runs like a wild mare...

yes, one can still feel the need for speed past 65...

39 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Form before function...

Sounds like a nice BMW S-1000 XR to me!

• Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

3 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Form before function

When underway on a twisty road you'd really feel how much better it could be with braided lines, HH+ pads and possibly 320 mm rotors and a radial MC, fork springs n tweaks and a quality shock, different levers, bars and/or risers, a sleeker or bigger shield, nicer saddle, and maybe an ECU flash.

Whereas your paint job is nice and inexpensive, you can't see or feel from the saddle...  😉

I'm just a mean old man whose eyes are no longer drawn to a pretty face, now a solid chassis and svelte running gear that runs like a wild mare...

yes, one can still feel the need for speed past 65...

Is this really relevant considering that function hasn’t been compromised? At all?

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, nhchris said:

Sounds like a nice BMW S-1000 XR to me!

WIf only I had the cash to buy a used XR rather than "settle" for my FJ on credit and cattle it to a poor mans XR.  Though I do like a 3 over a 4 and the relative simplicity and accessibility of an FJ over anXR.  But oh the rocket launch it provides!

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, angrygirafe said:

Is this really relevant considering that function hasn’t been compromised? At all?

Enhancing form over function is a choice as is improving function over form.  That's all I'm saying.  What are you?

And I tried to be nice...

1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Enhancing form over function is a choice as is improving function over form.  That's all I'm saying.  What are you?

And I tried to be nice...

Form over function/function over form is choosing one at the cost of the other. It didn’t cost him function to improve form though, so… 

Every upgrade you mentioned is great, and aside from the pads is a significant time or money upgrade. But we’ve all got spray paint going bad in the garage. Seems like a win win

• Thumbsup 4

• Premium Member

Enhancing function only costs time and money...springs, levers, brake lines, pads and screens are relatively inexpensive.

I don't store paint in the detached garage - shop even though it is kept above freezing and below 85.  BION I refrigerate certain, chemicals, adhesives, paints and sealants in zip-lock freezer bags to keep them fresh.

My bike is obviously pretty stock.  I've pushed it pretty hard into the twisties many times and had 100% fun.  Doesn't make sense to spend hundreds of dollars when I'm already at 100%.  Yeah, maybe I would be faster, but I ride alone so I don't need to keep up with anyone.  I'm already plenty over the speed limit. 

• Thumbsup 2

IF YA REALLY WANNA BE FAST...

I firmly believe the $$ spent on most performance-related farkles would yield much greater return  invested in track days and racing schools.

We riders are usually the lowest performance component on our modern motorcycles! 

Edited by nhchris
  • Thumbsup 3
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

I'm sort of surprised at getting harrassed for not spending hundreds, if not thousands upgrading my motorcycle.    Farkle-cism hurts us all.   

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Jfundo said:

I'm sort of surprised at getting harrassed for not spending hundreds, if not thousands upgrading my motorcycle.

Enjoy your motorcycle, and you will know in time what and when to mod. Most of the commentary is well meaning I am sure.

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Premium Member

Like pio said as did I, trying to be nice, helpful

I think most would agree what I suggested are not farkles

Be all you can be...

I also tend toward very dry ticklels that got you ranked slightly all in good fun