What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
Fitted some VisionX Optimus Round 10W LED driving lights on the front and a fixed UHF antenna for ship-to-shore comms at the rear.

4554801.jpg

4554802.jpg

Installed CA licence plate, short levers and a 17 tooth counter shaft sprocket. This week it will get hard saddle bags and a headlight modulator.
Interested to see how a headlight modulator works with the LED headlights.

• Premium Member
Did this in preparation for new rubber.

20160516_195139_resized_zpsbku469lw.jpg
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

I needed to make it easier and safer to extend the side-stand after I’d fitted new, longer foot-pegs that on the left-hand side seriously got in the way of the lowering process.

Picking-up on suggestions and pix here – [em]thanks, peporter and jsp[/em] – I located a nearby one-man band metal-worker/ machinist. Happily, he works a lot for local bike dealerships so knows whereof he speaks.

Equally happily, I found a discarded ‘hero-knob’ that matched exactly the lowering stem on the side-stand – it could have come from the same factory at the same time. It’s 16cm long (2⅜”) with a ball-end matching that on the OE stem.

It was moment’s work for the guy to take off the side-stand (lest he fry the bike’s electronics in the welding process); cut off the ball-end of the original stem; cut the threaded-end off its replacement (not strictly necessary, but it looks neater); and weld it onto the remaining stub of the original stem.

He did an excellent job for $30, the new weld is all but invisible, and he even painted the parts!

This process has lengthened the stem to 10cm (4”) and brought it out at a very slight angle to where I can much more readily locate it with my boot and so easily put down the side-stand.

For anyone having tiny feet with ballet-trained ultra-flexible universal-joint ankles this might not be necessary, but for me it was!

[em]Wordsmith[/em][em]
[/em][em]http://i.imgur.com/Sc8juIt.jpg[/em][em]http://i.imgur.com/ptxy7zK.jpg[/em][em]http://i.imgur.com/sQlgUML.jpg[/em]

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Hubby installed a ZX6r rear shock last Tuesday and went for a 3000 kilometer ride on the weekend and it was a vast improvement.

Installed a 24" Parabellum touring screen tonight. Looking forward to going for a ride on the weekend and not getting buffeted around like a hockey puck and splattered by bugs on my visor.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

• Premium Member
After a wet ride through the Texas Hill Country (the 3 sisters), the bike handled just fine.  However, the stock seat lacks a lot to be desired after 1250 miles.  Got the Sargent seat in.  Definitely distributes pressure points, but is not cushy (like a harley touring seat).  Over all a great upgrade.

• Premium Member
Installed CA licence plate, short levers and a 17 tooth counter shaft sprocket. This week it will get hard saddle bags and a headlight modulator.
I don't know how many teeth the stock front sprocket has, but if you change it won't it throw off the speedometer? 
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

Ordered some Grip Puppies. 
Have worn out the left pussy grip http://fj-09.org/post/29932/thread
and after comparing @wordsmith 's grip puppies vs my pussy grips, discovered that the GPs are much thicker,
so should last longer without wrapping tape on my handlebars.

But the Pussy Grips have a better name !

That's because Pussy Grips are for girls.......doh!  (rofl)   we have a softer touch. 

Hope the Grip Puppies work out better for you  ;)

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

For anyone who may be interested, here’s a list of what I have added to my new (in April 2016) 2015 Matte Grey Tracer, this being my second such model.

There’s no ‘bling’ here, but none of these is absolutely essential, IMHO, except perhaps for the replacement seat. Most of these things I’ve had in one form or another on my first Tracer and on previous bikes, chiefly – in recent years – BMWs, and I had come to appreciate what they brought to the bikes and to me.

But by far the best two farkles – seat aside – are invisible and cost nothing. I refer to the DIY tweaking of the suspension, which has resulted in a marked improvement, and the increased (to 25mm) drive-chain slack, which has all but eliminated that dreadful engine whine at freeway speeds.

Safety aids:

• Stebel Magnum horn
• Skene P3 rear light LEDs
• M-Store mirror extenders
• Cree front hi-viz LED lights mounted on AdvTech bracket
• Reflective tape on pannier rear surfaces
• 2” diameter ‘dead-spot’ auxiliary mirrors

Comfort aids:

• FZ6 rubber-topped foot-pegs 
• Adjustable-span brake and clutch levers
• Grip Puppies
• Bagster Luxe seat

Other:

• Amber slim-profile indicator LEDs and fitment spacers
• Third Gear 28L top-box and mounting plate
• Treka 100 small ~7L top-box for day rides
• Side-stand lowering stem extension.

I intend to have a smaller rear sprocket fitted some time soon, simply to reduce engine revs at cruising speeds, as the high rpm there does make the bike feel a bit ‘buzzy’ and busy, and I’m often looking for that 7th gear. My two planned ~4500km interstate trips later this year – south to Melbourne, north to Cooktown – almost demand that refinement.

I’d thought that might be it, but saw on [em]suncoaster’s[/em] Tracer earlier this week a rather neat rear hugger extender, so I may order one of these when the Oz distributor has more in stock.

[em]That’s it![/em] Approximate all-up cost to me for the above list including shipping from the mostly overseas sources has been about AUD$1220 (US$890; Euro788; GBP£608). The new Bagster seat cost almost half of this sum, at AUD$549.

I think it’s a small price to pay to get the Tracer to where I wanted it to be, without over-investing in what is after all a budget-priced (and very good value) motorcycle.

Now to ride more as winter [em](hah!)[/em] approaches, best time of the year here.

[em]Wordsmith (’39 model)[/em]

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

For anyone who may be interested, here’s a list of what I have added to my new (in April 2016) 2015 Matte Grey Tracer, this being my second such model. 
Safety aids:

• 2” diameter ‘dead-spot’ auxiliary mirrors

[em][/em]

Mate - 
Where on the stock mirrors did you place the smaller mirrors?

Enjoy your winter down under.