What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member
you can buy a neoprene rear dirt bike sleeve to keep it clean... they usually sell em by generic length sizes... I have one from DirtSkinz I won years ago in a raffle...

Thanks for the suggestion, I will check those out.

I dont ride in the rain on purpose, only when it catches me by surprise.  I cant imaging how nasty the shock would be if I was a year-round commuter.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

@betoney are you going to remove the swingarm during your maintenance? If so, would you mind taking some photos and instructions as the manual just says “remove the swingarm”.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
@betoney are you going to remove the swingarm during your maintenance? If so, would you mind taking some photos and instructions as the manual just says “remove the swingarm”.

In the photo of the bike on jacks, the swingarm is already removed, Sorry, I did not take procedural photos.

There is really no step by step instructions except once the wheel is removed, you pull the swingarm pivot.  Its the the top bolt holding the rearset on.

Pivot.jpg

When you remove the swingarm, grease the pivot bearings then remove the shock linkage and grease every bearing as well.  You can see how filthy this area can get. 

Linkage.jpg

Once you do this once, the next time is a piece of cake.  I can have the wheel, linkage and swingarm removed and replaced in 30 minutes, cleaning and re-greasing might take an additional 20 minutes if it is really dirty and I take my time.

Thanks @betoney. So, on the centre stand, remove the wheel, then remove the lower bolt on the dog bone, then the swingarm bolt and the whole assembly just comes off? Sounds straight forward !!

Nice access for shock removal too I guess.

• Supporting Member
Thanks @betoney . So, on the centre stand, remove the wheel, then remove the lower bolt on the dog bone, then the swingarm bolt and the whole assembly just comes off? Sounds straight forward !! 
Nice access for shock removal too I guess.

You got it!  Yes, it really is that simple. 

I think the reason some riders neglect the swingarm and linkage bearings is they might assume that it is too involved or time consuming to remove the back portion of the bike.  But like I said, you could pull into the garage, have everything removed, cleaned, lubed and reassembled - ready to ride within an hour.

Inspired by @betoney I removed the swingarm, greased anything that looked like it might move, cleaned it all and stuck this bad boy in ?

20181103-173332.jpg

• Supporting Member
@BBB - Nice! I don’t recognize the spring color and preload collar... what brand shock did you go with?

Can’t wait to hear your impressions... it’s a transformative upgrade on the FJ.

• Premium Member
Looks to be a Nitron. Great shock, mine's been amazing.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

Nitron NTR 1. I ran out of time today, so wheel still off and then sag to set, but I’m looking forward to trying it out.

• Supporting Member
Inspired by @betoney I removed the swingarm, greased anything that looked like it might move, cleaned it all and stuck this bad boy in ? 

20181103-173332.jpg

Glad to hear that you have it all cleaned up, greased and re-assembled. 

The shock looks good, I think you will love the difference it makes.

• Premium Member
Nitron NTR 1. I ran out of time today, so wheel still off and then sag to set, but I’m looking forward to trying it out.
You're gonna really like it. WAY better than stock.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...