What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member
...Not that I want to recommend more work for you... I know you are adding the Gold Valve to the active leg but you didn't mention the dead leg.  You're going to change seals and fluid on that leg too? 

Quality contact time with the bike always welcome (many months to fill). Yes... seals and bushings all around. I found a lot of gunk/debris at the bottom of the inner tube. Hard to reach in there, but managed to clean things up.
Im the same way, always looking for something to tinker on during the cold months. 

I started too early this season and am almost out of things to mess with, I already had the suspension serviced, greased the swingarm and linkage bearings, installed the slip-on and hard-wired the GPS. 

I’m going to install some daytime running lights and brainstorm something unique for the front turn signals. I need to pace myself though, it’s not even thanksgiving

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Oh, forgot, put a few farkles on. 

I just noticed that coolant tank cover... I’m curious where you got that?
As an aside, I found it hard to see the coolant level, so I added a few drops of blue food-colour, nicked from my wife's pantry.   I figured if it was OK in the human body it had to be safe to use in the bike!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member

Fabricated a cartridge holding tool and took the cartridge apart. I was anxious to not turn the project into a set of new cartridges... and thankfully all went according to plan. Big props to TwoWheelObsession for the How-To. Followed pretty much as shown, with tweaks here and there. Not going any further until I get the valve kit next week. 

cartapart.jpg

The holding tool was made from a 15" piece of 1" electrical conduit I had in the garage. OD was just a hair larger than required, so I bent the ends inward a little, just enough to still comfortably clear some bits in the way. I filed the outside to clean things up and reduce the size just slightly. Tool fits and works great. Saved $100CAD. nerd.png

tool1.jpg

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
I went out for a ride today for the sole purpose of reaching my 30k milestone.

My bike will be 2 years old on December 1st. What a GREAT 2 years its been!

30K.jpg

The last time I rode the FJ, about a week ago, I thought it felt a little squirrelly coming out of a couple corners. Didn't think much of it since it was wet out and I planned to replace the tires soon anyway.

Well today I go out to the garage for a little pre-ride check and..... rear tire is completely flat. Picked up an unidentifiable triangular piece of metal that left a cut in the rear. I guess that's what I was feeling...

So.. pulled the tires off and broke the chain.. PR5s, new chain, and new front sprocket are going on.

20181119-172242.jpg

Just like my OE tires.. the front was worn more than the rear and they were worn more on the sides about 35 degress from center. Rear tire has plenty of tread, but a little squared off on the middle.. so kinda opposite wear than the front.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Looks like a lot of fun. Pretty ballsy with the road tires.... and panniers to boot. Nice work.
Figured if I dropped it in the river the hard cases would help keep it breathing above water.. and the PR5 works surprisingly well off road thanks to the deeper lugs in the tires. Still have the dunlop front on though and it did fine other than the mud, turned into a ski.

Well today I go out to the garage for a little pre-ride check and..... rear tire is completely flat. Picked up an unidentifiable triangular piece of metal that left a cut in the rear. I guess that's what I was feeling...

So.. pulled the tires off and broke the chain.. PR5s, new chain, and new front sprocket are going on.

20181119-172242.jpg

Just like my OE tires.. the front was worn more than the rear and they were worn more on the sides about 35 degress from center. Rear tire has plenty of tread, but a little squared off on the middle.. so kinda opposite wear than the front.
Took 2.2oz (60 grams) to balance the front wheel/tire. The Shop says its zeroed out. Just seems like a lot of weight. I guess it's ok though. Thoughts?

I just need to get my own kit so I can mount and balance my own tires.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
I rode it home in the morning after getting off work. It was in the low 30’s and it was good. Happy Thanksgiving to y’all.
Back at you. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Now I’ll go plug in the battery tender, been meaning to do that...

-Skip

Yeah, the weather forecast looks pretty crappy for at least the next 2 weeks here, no plans on riding.  I just hooked mine up to the tender as well.

Enjoy your holiday everyone.