What bike did you have previously, and why did you change?

Guest reeseyboy

Fj is my first bike! I can’t compare but I think my next bike will need to be something special because so far I am in love with the 09. Planning to keep it for a while.

nice choice for a 1st bike, its just the right mix of power... to be honest I also own an FZ-07 and its just a sliver slower than the FJ/FZ-09 bikes in the 1/8th mile so you aint missing much unless you need some all day top end speed past 150mph which a liter bike is suited for...

slap some decent suspension on the bike and it will become a decent track bike or add some cargo and cross states
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had 1200GS but I didn't use it as intended :)

bmfla_iskrce.jpg

Honda CB600F Hornet 2008; KTM LC4 640 SM Prestige 2007; Kawasaki Z1000 2007; Honda CB1000R 2010; BMW R1200GS 2010; Yamaha Tracer 900GT 2018; Yamaha TDM900 2002; Kawasaki KLX230 2020; KTM 690 Enduro R 2022: Bold = current

My previous bike was my first bike! Loved riding my little Yamaha R3 everywhere. It was small, lightweight, and quite a looker. Strangely, people always told me that I'd "grow out of it" but after 2 years, I never did. I always thought that the power was sufficient and never really needed more. The only reason I upgraded was because I found myself going on longer and longer rides/adventures and wanted something more comfortable with storage.

And boy am I in love with the FJ09! I never thought I needed more power until I actually got a taste of it on this bike... I was also apprehensive when looking at this bike because it seemed so much bigger, heavier, and taller than the R3 but my apprehensions were instantly eased the second I hopped on and rode it. It feels incredibly light weight and well balanced! The wider handlebars and upright seating position make for quite a commanding and maneuverable riding experience and the power is so easy to manage in B mode.

I've put ~150 miles on it so far and still haven't taken it off of B mode yet. I'm perfectly satisfied with it! And I'm sure I will be until I get a taste of STD or A mode...

• 2 weeks later...
My last bike was a 2014 Versys. Very nice bike, but not the power I wanted and quite frankly needed. Before the Versys I rode a 2001 Concours for 16 years. Yes I owned the Versys at the same time for local and commuting to and back from work. The Connie was slightly modified and had tons of inline four power that I missed in the versys. The FJ09 is light like the Versys and although it has about the same power as the connie, it doesn't have the torque. It does however have enough for now and is light, agile and quick. I've put hard bags and a larger windshield on it along with helibar risers and many other farkles to make it mine. I do miss the connies power, but not the weight. I do wish someone could make a great lighter weight sport tourer that is at or slightly under 500 lbs. But I guess I am dreaming. For now the FJ09 is working well enough.

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

20170309_130315_001_resized_1.jpg
2007 Tuono was my last bike ,I bought a 2016 GSXS1000F to replace it. The FJ09 replaced my 2001 FZ1. The reason for the changes  both the FZ1 and the Tuono was getting up there in mileage and the new bikes were way more comfy on my 62 y/o body

My previos bike was a Tenere xt660z. Had ir for 4 years... I used it most in on road yet I liked it could go to off road like the wind... Was fun and the bike designs were attractive. Like a big Enduro. After 4 years I started to feel was underpowered for highway and too heavy for off road (210 kgms with high center of gravity) . I had a broken ankle because of the weight factor on an off road trip. Sold it... And got the FJ09 for highway, and a light weight Honda xre 300 for off road and city commute. Love both of them

A BMW R1200 GS Rallye. I loved it but it seemed to be getting heavier ? so I had to choose between spending hours in the gym or a lighter bike.  I dropped the beemer, mostly at a standstill, more than I dropped any other bike so it did seem jinxed even though I’d spent proper cash to get it exactly as I wanted it.  I like the Tracer and it’s a great bike but so far I can say that I love it, does that make sense? It reminds me of a Z650 I had back in the day, that bike would do anything: tour, commute, scratch, haul a sidecar but it took a couple of years’ ownership for me to love it.

One of my previous bikes, for 7 years, was also an XT660Z. I really liked it in many ways, but for a relatively expensive big single it was very top-heavy and suffered from terrible suspension (under-damped, undersprung and preload-only adjustment). Fuelling low-down was also bad. Even though built in Italy, it was reliable enough. The other, for 14 years, was my old faithful TTR250 72,000km work bike which was hard to complain about for the purpose.
Nevertheless, I wanted a road bike, so I sold both, and kept my other work bike (2012 WR250R, 38k, 2100 engine hours). I'd been casually glancing at 900 Tracers for a couple of years and bought a '16 model last year (Yamaha Australia hadn't released the 17 model that I really hoped for by July '17, so I grabbed what was available).
And I'm content, apart from that grumbly, vibrating clutch - which I'm learning to ignore. Kev's O2 mod cleaned up the bottom end so I can live with it. This is a bike that is lots better than I am, and it's a heap of fun. Good work, Yamaha.

P1010646_-_Copy.jpgIMGP4499.jpgIMG_2010.jpgIMG_3082.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
First post here on this awesome forum. My first street bike was a 1978 Yamaha XS650 special. Bought it for $1500 and immediately tore the front end off the bike and replaced it with a 2001 Yamaha R1 front end I bought off eBay. Just recently bought a 2017 FJ09 so I can do longer multi-day rides in comfort and have piece of mind when it comes to reliability.
IMG-0481.jpg

• Supporting Member
Good looking XS650 you have Whitecrow, Looks like you have an XS750 tank on her. I miss my old XS750, she was my first tripel. I also have an 80 XS650 that turned into a streettracker with the 750cc cylinders.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

Thanks Roadrash83. Yes I did put a 750 tank on her and a new set of Mikuni carbs otherwise she is bone stock in the engine dept. I've thought about going the 750cc's route but I just can't justify the expense of it. I'm in it about $3500 dollars so far and that's about all I'm willing to do, these bikes out here in SoCal don't go for very much more than that.

Archived