The " wobble " I keep reading about

The US bikes are factory limited to 115mph...EU is not speed limited... A US rider may experience a wobble if trying to go past 115mph if the rider was unaware of factory speed limiter...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

No wobble issues for me as well.  I've been up to the limiter but once it hits I back off.  No sense in trying to ride past it.  I'm hoping it stays that way after my new tires.
Brad
Selbyville, DE

• Supporting Member
I own the FJ and have ridden the FZ and noticed it on both bikes. Not severe like an impending tank slapper, but the front feels light and sort of wobbly. When I notice it, it isn't necessarily at high speeds, but rather just holding a steady speed around 80 on the interstate.
I haven't received my upgraded fork cartridges from Matt yet, so these findings are with a stock front end, forks raised in the clamps.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

There have been several threads about this, wobble can be caused by a lot of different things. Generally, the wobble is caused by front end getting too light, and generally can be fixed by proper suspension set up which generally means more forward chassis pitch by lowering front or raising rear. (But too much forward chassis pitch can also cause a wobble.) The FJ 09 is a tall light bike, the faster you go, the more the rear wheel lifts the front. Once you get the front end too light, there is a lot of other things that can contribute to a wobble. As far as I know, wobbles can be prevented by proper set up. Or... just slow down.

With my stock windshield I felt no wobble at 185km, but with my V-stream medium size I feel it above 140km. The faster I go the worse it wobbles. No knee slapping at 150km but I was to chicken to push it above that with the V-stream installed.

I have taken mine to the limiter, 115mph indicated, several times with no wobble. I have a Puig touring screen with the added deflector and SH36 side cases. Everyone's set up is different.

This bike is light in general. Given is relative short wheelbase and good power the front end gets even lighter under hard acceleration. I don't think the wobble is a universal problem, but if you plan to run it above 115 mph often, I would go ahead and invest in a steering dampner of some sort and ease that worry.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
There have been several threads about this, wobble can be caused by a lot of different things. Generally, the wobble is caused by front end getting too light, and generally can be fixed by proper suspension set up which generally means more forward chassis pitch by lowering front or raising rear. (But too much forward chassis pitch can also cause a wobble.) The FJ 09 is a tall light bike, the faster you go, the more the rear wheel lifts the front. Once you get the front end too light, there is a lot of other things that can contribute to a wobble. As far as I know, wobbles can be prevented by proper set up. Or... just slow down.
or be very heavy - I weigh around 200lbs and have not had any scary moments

we haven't had a wobble thread for ages - not sure what has happened. Has the wobble mysteriously disappeared? Was it hyperbole and only seen on 2 bikes but the internet did the rest? Are people learning and tweaking their suspension or checking tyre pressures? Or perhaps skinny people are too frightened to buy the bike and only fat people are getting them now? 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Had my FJ up to 100. 15,000 miles since march and never experienced any wobble.
Yeah, never an issue on mine either.26,000+ miles and no problems with wobble up to 125mph (haven't tried to go higher) after setting up my stock suspension properly for me.  This includes using the FJR saddlebags and Givi Topbox. 

• Premium Member
or be very heavy - I weigh around 200lbs and have not had any scary moments 
we haven't had a wobble thread for ages - not sure what has happened. Has the wobble mysteriously disappeared? Was it hyperbole and only seen on 2 bikes but the internet did the rest? Are people learning and tweaking their suspension or checking tyre pressures? Or perhaps skinny people are too frightened to buy the bike and only fat people are getting them now? 

200 isn't very heavy. They called me beanpole when I weighed 200.

Let’s go Brandon

Archived